Pennzoil's cleaning claims - Updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The operative term is "up to", so it could be anything.
smile.gif

This.

Nothing but marketing blather.

When they state a solid percentage WITHOUT the catch phrase get back to me.

I'm amazed that so many informed members here fall for the marketing con game.

Anyone educated on the subject hardly accepts marketing for a product as fact. Those claims, however, fall in line with what a lot of people have been saying on these forums. PU is one of the top cleaning oils around, PP is similar to M1.

They have to say 'Up to' ....it's not going to be the same every time because conditions may vary.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Which organization performed these tests?

I'm interested to know, SOPUS mentions the types of tests performed but does NOT mention which group performed these tests.

It's a standardized test, I don't think it really matters
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujobob
They didn't show M1 EP because they're trying to take aims at different companies and regular M1 is likely the most popular version.

Doesn't matter why. EP is the Ultra competitor, to test it against standard M1 and then claim it is XX% better than M1 is dishonest IMO.

Although I think the reason they didn't disclose EPs result is because it was better.
24.gif

Originally Posted By: hisilver
Are all the oils tested HTO-06 specd?

Ooooooo, good point!
thumbsup2.gif
That would be something to check......

Me I would rather have tarnished still in good shape parts than clean worn out parts. But that is just me. Which oil provides best protection??That would be the info I want.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Ooooooo, good point!
thumbsup2.gif
That would be something to check......

Mobil 1 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:
General Motors Service Fill dexos1™
Honda / Acura HTO-06

I give up on Castrol - HORRIBLE website...

Valvoline does not even list "Honda / Acura HTO-06" as an approval available.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Me I would rather have tarnished still in good shape parts than clean worn out parts. But that is just me. Which oil provides best protection??That would be the info I want.

Pennzoil Platinum claims that no other leading full synthetic oil provides better wear protection based on Sequence IVA.

Pennzoil Ultra seems to go a little further claiming that no other motor oil (period) provides better wear protection based on Sequence IVA.

I believe M1, PP and PU are the only HTO-06 approved oils in the ad.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Pennzoil Platinum claims that no other leading full synthetic oil provides better wear protection based on Sequence IVA.

Pennzoil Ultra goes a little further claiming that no other motor oil (period) provides better wear protection based on Sequence IVA.

Very bold claims indeed. How that translates to real world drivers and conditions remains to be proven and I wonder if Mobil will spend the money to disprove these claims,and if they did test independently would they post the results if pennzoils claims are true?

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Pennzoil Ultra goes a little further claiming that no other motor oil (period) provides better wear protection based on Sequence IVA.

Very bold claims indeed. How that translates to real world drivers and conditions remains to be proven and I wonder if Mobil will spend the money to disprove these claims,and if they did test independently would they post the results if pennzoils claims are true?

M1 has to date never answered these types of claims. Amsoil, Valvoline, Castrol, and now Pennzoil have tried to discredit M1 in various ways over the last several years. I wonder why? With that said M1 still holds more factory recomendations than all the others combined. As for me, I hope M1 doesn't respond in kind. They just continue to market their oil without the comparisons others make.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Clevy

M1 has to date never answered these types of claims. Amsoil, Valvoline, Castrol, and now Pennzoil have tried to discredit M1 in various ways over the last several years. I wonder why? With that said M1 still holds more factory recomendations than all the others combined. As for me, I hope M1 doesn't respond in kind. They just continue to market their oil without the comparisons others make.

Honestly they don't really need to even answer. Mobil has been the oil to beat for so long that they can put out a lesser/cheaper product and the consumer will still buy it,regardless of what any test says.
I hope they don't respond,although I'm sure they have already tested pennzoil vs Mobil in their own labs and have data on the performance of pennzoil vs their products. Them not responding shows,to me that they aren't acknowledging the claims,which to me shows they don't believe pennzoils testing is valid.

Motor2.jpg

That has 100,000 miles of Mobil Products. 25% cleaner would be what exactly?

IMO Mobil does not need to respond in kind, they have adequate information on their website and enough evidence that their oil is very good.

What strikes me about Pennzoils claims is what they DO NOT say...

If it was 25% better than EP they would say it...
If they stood a snowballs chance in a very warm place of defending a claim that Ultra can keep your WHOLE ENGINE up to 25% cleaner they would claim it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back