Pennzoil's cleaning claims - Updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Originally Posted By: Pennzoil

Actual advantage over competitive products is greater than visually shown. Based on ASTM Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30. Does not apply to Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro or Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40. Pennzoil Ultra™ keeps pistons up to 25% cleaner than Mobil 1; up to 35% cleaner than Valvoline® SynPower®; and up to 40% cleaner than Castrol® EDGE® with SYNTEC®.

SOPUSCLEAN.JPG

The Mobil claims don't surprise me. We've discussed those before. I'm more interested in discussing the 35% cleaner than Valvoline Synpower and 40% cleaner than Castrol Edge
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Oh snat.. Pennzoil took aim at Mobil 1, and everybody else.

35.gif

They've been making the claim towards Mobil 1 for a while, that's not new. The fact that they've mentioned the other brands is what intrigued me and prompted me to post this.

It looks like those of us (like me) that haven't been impressed with Castrol keeping an engine clean may have been onto something.

thats also their group III product not the "top tier"
castrol with titanium they dont mention for some reason

Originally Posted By: Rand
thats also their group III product not the "top tier"
castrol with titanium they dont mention for some reason

Yes. And they except the Euro products as well along with Mobil's EP lineup.

That being said, they show Platinum being above the others too, and Platinum would be comparable to regular M1, Edge, Synpower....etc. So even their more pedestrian synthetic 5w-30 is "cleaner" than the rest.

They took the pistons away and put the competitors up on blocks! And Mobil 1's cleaning strength keeps shrinking every Pennzoil update. I do agree Castrol is a dirty, very dirty oil.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
At least 5 months old?

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-engine-...1-fact-not.html

Meh
21.gif

I don't recall us discussing these pictures on this forum (we discussed the previous "up to 25%" Mobil 1 vs PU pictures only AFAIK). And I certainly wouldn't be hanging around "evolutionm.net" so I don't exactly see why that link is relevant to a discussion happening on THIS board. I mean, had you posted to an earlier thread on THIS board, then I would understand. But you didn't.

Very interesting find here! It seems to me that many companies are taking stabs at the competition and actually naming their competitor(s) rather than saying brand "A" or whatever. As for the claim from a SOPUS fan I still gonna go ahead and give them a "meh". LOL

Results look the same to me as the first time.
21.gif

Glad to see Pennzoil using a legitimate test thought, and not a 4-ball wear test or other bench test.

However, they left out Mobil 1 EP which Mobil claims has better high temperature ability than regular M1. I guess it makes sense why they left it out.

Never was a fan of Castrol. In the TEOST test, it has always performed poorly.

OVERKILL, I guess I just don't see any relevant info forthcoming from THIS bitog thread. Its marketing. PU is liquid gold apparently. But what about M1 0w40?
I do wish you get some info that you're seeking, though. One data point above, regarding Castrol being "dirty". (possibly tongue in cheek) Is about what I'm expecting.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
OVERKILL, I guess I just don't see any relevant info forthcoming from THIS bitog thread. Its marketing. PU is liquid gold apparently. But what about M1 0w40?
I do wish you get some info that you're seeking, though. One data point above, regarding Castrol being "dirty". (possibly tongue in cheek) Is about what I'm expecting.

Of course it is marketing, no question there! And it is in reference to a SINGLE grade of oil: 5w-30.

But it is a claim, and one they need to be able to substantiate. So even if we consider the caveats of what they are claiming, it still has the potential to allow for some decent discussion, as it is based on some legitimate tests, which means that the data is "factual".

So they put their standard product and their premium product up against the competitors standard products and don't test (or don't disclose results for) the competitors premium products.

Very suspect.
29.gif

Not sure what dripping oil on a hot spinning disk really proves anyway...
27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The operative term is "up to", so it could be anything.
smile.gif

This.

Nothing but marketing blather.

When they state a solid percentage WITHOUT the catch phrase get back to me.

I'm amazed that so many informed members here fall for the marketing con game.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The operative term is "up to", so it could be anything.
smile.gif

This.

Nothing but marketing blather.

When they state a solid percentage WITHOUT the catch phrase get back to me.

I'm amazed that so many informed members here fall for the marketing con game.

It is hardly a con. It is a claim of performance with a given set of caveats. The "up to" mention is part of that list of caveats.

That being said, the relative component of the "results" is still interesting with respect to comparing the "up to" numbers.

They didn't show M1 EP because they're trying to take aims at different companies and regular M1 is likely the most popular version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back