Pennzoil Ultra & UOA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from detecting coolant and fuel I don't see much value, unless you want to really stretch the OCI. I was trying to keep an open mind, but after reading so many of these discussions as soon as I start to see some real value I slip back to my original mindset.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: c3po

So, does this mean when the PU UOA's come out that we really cannot say much, will these PU UOA's tell us if this is a better oil than what others may be using.

That's the issue. They really can't tell you a whole lot other than what I pointed out in my post above Ben's.

If you haven't read Doug's article, please do so. It is on the main page, under Articles of the Month, past articles.

Originally Posted By: c3po
So, does this mean when the PU UOA's come out that we really cannot say much, will these PU UOA's tell us if this is a better oil than what others may be using.

We can tell if it's better suited for extended drains, we can see if viscosity retention is better, we will even be able to tell if it handles things such as fuel dilution "better". But regarding a few ticks one way or another regarding wear metals, we can not tell if it is really any better or not. Significant trending of the same vehicle with numerous consecutive runs of each oil may give some indications, but that's about it. Comparative tear downs will be the only solid way the evaluate the anti-wear aspects of the oils.

Judging by Pennzoil's claims regarding Ultra's performance in seq IVA and IIIG, I think it's fairly safe to assume Ultra is a legitimate step up from Platinum. That is if you think Pennzoil is honest.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

If you haven't read Doug's article, please do so. It is on the main page, under Articles of the Month, past articles

I believe you are talking about Doug Hillary, can you provide a LINK.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Think some cleaning was going on?

Nope

JMO.

Great explanation!

Then we all better find out what oil he was running before and stay away from it since it left his engine so dirty...
whistle.gif

I love the sarcasm lately. You know the answer to this so you can play this game by yourself.

Then we all better find out what oil he was running before and stay away from it since it left his engine so dirty...
whistle.gif

I love the sarcasm lately. You know the answer to this so you can play this game by yourself.

No I don't, but it does make sense if your oil *is* cleaning, then whatever you are running left something.

No sarcasm just stating what I'm thinking. Can't have it both ways. (ie the oil I'm using keeps the engine clean but when I run another oil that "cleans" (judging by the color of it) then the oil you WERE using had to leave something for the new oil to clear out.

Now your last sentence shows some sarcasm though.

Bill

whistle.gif

No I don't, but it does make sense if your oil *is* cleaning, then whatever you are running left something.

No sarcasm just stating what I'm thinking. Can't have it both ways. (ie the oil I'm using keeps the engine clean but when I run another oil that "cleans" (judging by the color of it) then the oil you WERE using had to leave something for the new oil to clear out.

Bill

You can rest assured that the oil he was using left less behind than dino would have.
grin2.gif

Yeah, all the sludge in there.
lol.gif

Bill

crackmeup2.gif
No, not sludge...
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Nobody is arguing that UOAs aren't useful. They are extremely useful, just not for comparing oils based on wear metals.

So we can tell when a engine is having a problem with a UOA when the metals start to increase but if the UOA metals increase with one oil but not the other the data is not valid?

What would cause a UOA to show higher metals with one oil but not another?

To me it does not matter since the only time I've had to tear apart a motor is when a UOA showed coolant leaks. (twice). All the other engines I've taken well past 200k I never ran a UOA.

But UOAs do show something IMO. Most the people saying that they don't is becuase their oil does not do well with them. (and when it does the UOA is valid)

Just my 3 cents.

Bill

Three cents? You stole one of my cents!
49.gif
55.gif

I partially agree that UOAs have value. But I think they tell us more about an engine than they do an individual oil...

Regards...

whistle.gif

Bill

The oil I ran before was Amsoil ACD for the first 75,000 miles. Under the valvecover it looked immaculate. It doesn't mean the Redline did not remove ring land deposits that the PAO may have left behind.

I also had the typical Redline half quart of consumption in an engine that has never consumed any measurable amount of oil since new. Don't know how to explain it but it's a very real thing. It hasn't consumed since the first change.

What are your ideas for the quickly darkening oil the first two OCIs?

Under the valvecover it looked immaculate. It doesn't mean the Redline did not remove ring land deposits that the PAO may have left behind.

I think it was probably that, and those esters stripping the oxidation layer off of everything.

I have Weld ProStars on the Mustang, and they'll look perfectly clean after I wash them, but then I use aluminum polish on them and my rag comes away looking BLACK. I would imagine something similar is going here, given what we know about ester's tendency to remove oxidation layers. JMO...

Quote:
I also had the typical Redline half quart of consumption in an engine that has never consumed any measurable amount of oil since new. Don't know how to explain it but it's a very real thing. It hasn't consumed since the first change.

I had the same thing in the Mustang (1/4 quart in the first 500 miles), now it uses zero oil on hard running. It used a bit of both M1 and PP after some high rpm beating...not anymore.

I'm excited to see the UOA. If it comes back as a stellar oil then maybe more people will be willing to spend the extra $7.50 for a jug over Platinum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back