Pennzoil synthetic for Kia Optima Hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a Kia Optima Hybrid and want to change oil to Pennzoil synthetic. Should I wait a few miles or do it now? Currently 350 miles on vehicle. I will be driving 100 miles round trip daily to and from office. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted By: antignolo
Just purchased a Kia Optima Hybrid and want to change oil to Pennzoil synthetic. Should I wait a few miles or do it now? Currently 350 miles on vehicle. I will be driving 100 miles round trip daily to and from office. Any thoughts?

When is your 1st OCI scheduled for this vehicle?

7500 miles

Then change it at 7500 miles.

No reason to change it now, it's a brand new car with brand new oil in it. Run the factory fill for the full recommended OCI and then change it.

I wouldnt necessarily go 7500, but I would change it now either.

Id probably make it tiered, by doing one at 2500 with UOA to lok for manufacturing issues, then do the next at the 7500 mile mark, with UOA to see how the metals look.

This way yoll have done one 2500 mile OCI, one 5000 mile OCI and then a 7500 mile OCI after that. At that one (15000 miles total), you should see wear metals trending lower.

Cut the first OCI, first fill in 1/2 (3k-3500). Then take Pennzoil Platinum to 7500 from there on. Can we see some pics?

You're currently running a great OEM filter with a FF of Group III Quaker State oil (a syn in the U.S.), a SOPUS product akin to Pennzoil. There's no hurry to change it unless your commute and other miles constitutes severe service.

Factory fills often have additives to help with break-in. Leave it in until the OLM goes off.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
7500 miles

Then change it at 7500 miles.

No reason to change it now, it's a brand new car with brand new oil in it. Run the factory fill for the full recommended OCI and then change it.

+1 Read the book and do what it says.

If the book said to change at 1000 miles everyone would want to run it for 10k.

I've got a couple of pics but can't figure out how to attach. We purchased a black one and a white one last weekend. Sorry to say the white one (wife's car) went back to dealer for service after 250 miles. Warning lights and buzzers going off with a "hybrid warning". That doesn't give me a good feeling.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Its a KIA. Don't change oil. Buy a American made car.

33.gif

When i bought the hyundai, I dumped the oil when i got home. Ran pyb for 2k then M1 for 5k, I will now do M1 or pen plat for 7500 mile runs.

Last edited:
Wait until it's actually time to change the oil.

Does it have an OLM?

Are there any specific oil requirements? (beyond API/GF5)

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
I think the Optima is made in Georgia.

Probably true. I drive a good old American Pontiac GTO. Based on the Holden Monaro CV8 and assembled in... Australia. Let's face it, the final assembly point doesn't seem to matter with how great a car is. The Optima and Sonata are excellent cars. They just happen to be made by a Korean company. I am not anti American when it comes to cars, but most I like are European based or designed.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Its a KIA. Don't change oil. Buy a American made car.

hyundai/kia build cars that are just as good if not better than any american cars i can think of. The quality of the hyundai/kia cars in the last 5 years or so has gone from average to excellent in my opinion. i wouldn't hesitate to buy one if i liked the looks of them.

When I bought my van new a couple years ago I changed the oil & filter at about 1K to drain out any of the new motor's metels that often show up in the oil in a new vehicle. The guy at the dealer shop told me it had semi-syn as a factory fill and I wanted full syn in it with a better filter. If nothing else, it made me feel good to think I was doing something good for my new ride! By the way, I did use PP oil with a P1 filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back