Paid for Tire A, Tire B installed instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defenders are hard and loud from what I've heard. I passed them up at time of purchase for the CS5 grand touring. There's too much compromise to go past a 60k Tire

I agree with other poster here. Keep the Premier A/S, but get store manager to give proper paper work for the Premiers, for warranty purposes.

I wouldn't want the Defender anyways after seeing a neighbors 2012 Honda CR-V FWD eat through a set in 27,xxx miles. He is a car guy and rotates tires every 5,000 miles with oil change. Rated for 90,000 miles.

Thread title is funny as heck.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
So if you guys paid for long lasting all-season tires and the shop instead put on more expensive, but shorter lived performance tires on your car, you'd be happy?

The Premier A/S is the latest generation Grand Touring All Season.

I'd be ecstatic if I paid for Defenders and got Premier AS

+1. I'd be thanking the shop.

Let me add one more wrinkle to this thread. Sorry for not posting it originally.

She bought the tires in two sets of two. She replaced the rears first. Then two weeks later, replaced the fronts.

So, she's riding with mismatched tires.

Does that change anyone's thought process/opinion on what she should do?

Only front back rotations... you'll see for yourself which are the longer lasting tyres, and maybe you can figure out which are quieter/better riding. Nothing you can do now (several weeks after purchase?) anyway, except pay for 2 other tyres and sell the original as used.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Let me add one more wrinkle to this thread. Sorry for not posting it originally.

She bought the tires in two sets of two. She replaced the rears first. Then two weeks later, replaced the fronts.

Well now that is a key piece of information...

I wouldn't be happy with mismatched tires...

Last edited:

That's as big of an oversight, as what the shop did.

Thanks for finally getting all of the details correct.

For what it's worth, the reason why she bought Defenders is because she puts lots of highway miles on her car and I think the Defenders are rated for 80K miles (or somewhere in that territory).

You do realize many don't get anywhere near the 80,000 ? She needs to call corporare.

Last edited:
So she is riding on two sets with different dates of manufacture? Or is the issue the two week gap between when they were installed?

Two weeks isn't going to put a meaningfully different amount of wear on brand-new tires. Not a big deal there. If two tires are older than the other two by a few months or more, that would be a bigger deal.

I'd be glad for the mistake since it's in her favor. The Premiers are a fantastic tire.

Well now that is a key piece of information...

I wouldn't be happy with mismatched tires...

+1

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
We have to learn to double check work that has been done. Everyone screws up sometimes. CYA

The first thing to do when you get home is verify correct tire (actually, do that before leaving the lot), verify correct pressure and check torque on wheel nuts.

The first thing I do before I even start the car up is check the torque on the lug nuts. I've had more than one instance of them on so tight that I had to stand and jump on the wrench to loosen them, and once where I made them remove them all and torque it properly because I couldn't even budge them.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Premier is probably the better and more expensive tire.

This is the first thing I thought.

It sucks that she now has no receipt, so she probably has no warranty, but she did get what some people would consider a better tire.
Where does it say she doesn't have a receipt?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Premier is probably the better and more expensive tire.

This is the first thing I thought.

It sucks that she now has no receipt, so she probably has no warranty, but she did get what some people would consider a better tire.
Where does it say she doesn't have a receipt?

She has a receipt saying she bought Michelin Defenders, but they actually installed Premiers. So she has no receipt naming the actual tires she received that are on the car.

I suspect it won't be easy to get warranty service when your receipt doesn't match up with the tires actually on the car.

Duhh , they should have on file the date of purchase and serial number of each tire for the warranty on their puter. !

I had purchased 4 defenders for my camry.....they were shot at 25k miles ( rotated every 5k)......got credit and bought 4 premiers on the camry now which I feel is a much better tire. AND if these fail me on the mileage , I'll just get 4 more on the pro rating.

Are the speed ratings the same for the Defenders and the Premiers on your friends car? Premiers come in T, H, or V rated. Defenders are T, or H. One would really have to pay attention so that T's are not being mixed up with H's or V's, and so forth.

Having mismatched speed ratings on a vehicle is worse than just regular mismatched tread patterns, I would guess.

Is it an AWD vehicle? It's my understanding that an AWD car, all four tires have to be exact diameter, or it can possibly screw up the AWD system components...?

The Premier is ever so slightly shorter in diameter than the Defender: i.e. 25.6" Premier vs. 25.7" Defender in my size of 205/60/16, as listed on Tire Rack. The Defender is only available in T speed for my size, and the Premier only available in H or V ratings. So, if they did the Defender/Premier mix up on my car I would have different diameters and speed ratings.

Last edited:
The latest update. After going to Pep Boys twice in person, they finally agreed to fix her tires. So she is now a happy camper.

It worked out for the best after all.

I'd be happier with premiers the defenders on the accent are almost done at 23000 miles.
Many similar stories online.

My premiers on the 2015 forester look to be lasting about 50000-60000 at current wear rate.

The accent isnt a very heavy car and they are wearing very evenly.. just fast.
Last fall with 18000miles the fronts were down to 4/32
luckily I dont run them in the winter or they would have had to be replaced with 18000miles on them. They were supposed to be the last tires needed for this car.

Now at 23000 after rotation the fronts are at 4.5/32 and the back are at 3.5/32

Good news is this fall DT should give me back money into my pocket after some General altimax rt43 and triple rebate with mileage prorate.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Now at 23000 after rotation the fronts are at 4.5/32 and the back are at 3.5/32

Good news is this fall DT should give me back money into my pocket after some General altimax rt43 and triple rebate with mileage prorate.

This is the way to do. Buy tire at local DT and if it didn't lasted the warranty you will get a good chunk of that money back. Presume that you rotate the tire regularly so that all wear out at even rate or close to even.

I didn't get prorated for previous tire more than new tire, because I bought all tires at similar cost, but it did save me good amount with local DT(AT in So Cal).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back