Inexpensive Tires for Camry

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
A friend has a car similar to mine that uses a 215x60x16 tire. She only uses the car for local trips, rarely driving more than 10 miles or so from home. Sometimes she'll get on the freeway for a short distance. She has a different vehicle for longer trips in which she does her higher speed driving. In our area rain and snow are of no concern.

She'd like to get an inexpensive but decent-quality tire ... she does want to feel safe. I checked Tire Rack just to get a rough idea of what's out there and didn't see anything for less than $90 a tire (a Riken model) and to that tax, mounting, and balancing would need to be added. Is there anything less expensive that's worth considering for her situation?

Yes, one idea. For a strong price/value ratio, give this a look:

A) Get a local price quote on a Hankook Kinergy ST, Like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hankook-Kinergy-ST-H735-All-Season-215-60R16-95H-Passenger-Tire/996221989

B) Take it to a local GM dealer while the fall tire deal is on. They will price match the best local deal, and then give another $100 off for the set. Lifetime service guarantee. It’s a great deal.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/gm-fall-tire-rebate-is-on.374388/

If your local wm is the same price as here, that will work out to $85/tire before tax/install. That’s a MUCH better tire than the Riken, or other off-brand tires you’ll get at that price point.

Last edited:
Yes, one idea. For a strong price/value ratio, give this a look:

A) Get a local price quote on a Hankook Kinergy ST, Like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hankook-Kinergy-ST-H735-All-Season-215-60R16-95H-Passenger-Tire/996221989

B) Take it to a local GM dealer while the fall tire deal is on. They will price match the best local deal, and then give another $100 off for the set. Lifetime service guarantee. It’s a great deal.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/gm-fall-tire-rebate-is-on.374388/

If your local wm is the same price as here, that will work out to $85/tire before tax/install. That’s a MUCH better tire than the Riken, or other off-brand tires you’ll get at that price point.
Thanks so much for the tip. I'll forward your message to her right away.

I'm somewhat familiar with the Hankook line as a very close friend has had at least two sets, one on his Camry and the other on his Avalon. I've driven his Camry, which is the same year as mine, and the tires he had (not sure of the model) seemed just fine around town and pretty good on the highway wrt road noise and comfort. I've had better in that regard, but for the intended use in this case they should be fine. Again, thanks!

Regardless of which brand of inexpensive tires your friend buys, I would suggest having them road force balanced as I believe this would just be a better way to balance cheaper tires and the cost difference is minimal with a greater result.

Here are some current rollbacks. Hopefully it's everywhere and not just my local WalMarts. Listed prices don't include tax or installation ($18/tire). Goodyear is "$30 off" now per tire, while Westlake and Kenda are closer to their normal everyday price.

Goodyear Reliant All-Season 215/60R16 95V All-Season $65.00/tire CLICK HERE

Westlake RP18 All Season 215/60R16 95H $68.00/tire CLICK HERE (My personal WalMart favorites, used on many vehicles, hundreds of thousands of miles, no issues.)

Kenda Kenetica (KR217) All Season P215/60R16 95H $68.00/tire CLICK HERE

Last edited:
Goodyear Reliant All-Season 215/60R16 95V All-Season $65.00/tire HERE

Westlake RP18 All Season 215/60R16 95H $68.00/tire HERE (My personal WalMart favorites, used on many vehicles, hundreds of thousands of miles, no issues.)

Kenda Kenetica (KR217) All Season P215/60R16 95H $68.00/tire HERE
I got a set of the Goodyears recently--not installed yet.

Please don't buy hankook tires, utter garbage. Came on my camry from the factory, some of the worst grip I have ever felt in a car. Get a set of DWS06+. They are by far the best bang for buck all season tire, easily outlasting the warranty every single time. Read the reviews and be impressed. Everyone else is either overpriced or under delivering. The warranty is 55k miles, I have had over 80k miles on each set and that is with very spirited driving. The grip is unmatched by ANY regular all season, PERIOD. And these are facts, watch tyre reviews.

Have her jump on the WalMart Black Friday tire special quickly before they sell out or the sale expires. As stated in Posts #7 & #8, it will be hard to beat the $65 Goodyear Reliant for the intended usage profile. The 215/60-16 size is sold out in most Bay Area stores and unavailable via shipping; however, a few are currently in stock at the Fremont WalMart store.

1699880349286.png

Another vote for the Kumho LX Platinums at Walmart. It remains my go-to tire. I have them shipped to my house and mount myself, so I don't have any experience with how install goes at Walmart.

A lot of YouTube reviews state that the GY Reliants are noisy tires even when your car has good suspension components. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tricia will probably go with either the Kumho or Hankook as both are readily available and can be purchased and installed close to her home at locally owned businesses and because a mutual friend has used both on his Toyotas over the years with satisfactory results. So, thanks for the good ideas and for your helpfulness.

Back