Oversized oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read a couple of threads about using oversized filters and was wondering what my options would be for a 2000 Camry 5SFE? I'm planning on switching my oil to M1 5w 30 this weekend but I haven't decided yet which filter to use. At this point I'm leaning towards the Bosch Premium.

Thanks

I cannot answer your ? about the oversized on this late model Camry, but I also am trying to find the proper oversized model for my old Cressida (5MGE).

When I got the car in the mid 80's it used a rather large filter but sometime over the years they changed it to the PH3614 which is a much smaller filter. Just this week I was trying to find out the equivalent larger size filter to the 3614 but so far no luck in crossing. I was using the very large PH8A but found out that the by pass pressure was only 8 lbs and the stock by pass pressure was closer to 20 lbs. This is why now I'm trying to find a larger filter with a 15-20 lb. bypass. I see a Baldwin B229 but Baldwin are next to impossible to find in my area. Would like the a cross numbers to the Fram or ST equivalent if any knows a source for this information.

If you can get to the Baldwin site you may be able to figure out the larger cross for you Camry. Sorry I didn't save the link.

In Fram, the closest thing to an oversized filter to the PH-3614(AC PF-53) is the PH-16, larger diameter, only ~1/4" longer. If clearances allow it, probably a good idea. I can't speak for bypass pressure specs, though.

Better filters than Fram for that oversize are AC PF-13, Wix 51085, Pure One PL-14670. I'm familiar with these because my Neon calls for the same small filter, & I've been running the oversize on it for some time now.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back