Out of round tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings and salutations fellow Bitogers on a somewhat hot and humid Florida evening.

I call this, "The Epic Tire Bounce."

Journey with me back in time, my friends, and recall the tire buying adventure of some weeks past at lovely, lovely Walmart. (To refresh the memory of those not in the know, the ever faithful "Bluesmobile" was in need of two front tires. Since they didn't have my size - 205/70/14, I bought two 205/75/14 but had to mount them myself as Wally World simply knew as soon as I drove out of the parking lot on these unholy tires the age of Aquarius would begin).

So I brought them home, hammered off the old ones, hammered on the new ones, balanced and installed and proceeded to bounce down the highway like Tigger on crack. Home I came, removed tires and wheels, rebalanced and hit the road running only to bounce like a I was riding the pogo stick of Lucifer. Came home, removed tires and wheels and proceeded to rebalance yet again. Reinstalled tires and hit the road only to vibrate like a quarter operated bed in a cheap hotel in Vegas.

Today I removed tires and mounted and balanced two used tires I picked up from the junk pile at a local service shop, (they're pretty smooth, but they hold air). Ever faithful "Bluesmobile" now rides like Aladdin on his magic carpet.

Is it possible that the two tires I purchased at Walmart are out of round? During one of my balancing acts, I even dismounted the tire from the wheel and checked inside for anything that might be throwing it off balance. Nothing but air inside. Have I in fact purchased two oval tires? What are the possibilities that Mr Wally and friends will take these tires back and give me a full refund.

Feeling like James Brown, I have to say, "Somebody help me!"

Since they're already unmounted, just take them back to customer service and tell them that they're out of round, eg, egg shaped. Don't take no for an answer.

They have a 30 day happiness guarantee. You ain't happy. Don't let them be happy either.
wink.gif

edit: actually, this is their tire policy:

Quote:
TIRES - 90 days if unused

Most tires that have never been mounted or used can be returned to the Customer Service desk of any Walmart store that has a Tire & Lube Express. Stores without a Tire & Lube Express cannot accept tires.

Walmart stores cannot accept returns for tires that have been used or for snow tires in any condition.

You may have to get them to fix it under whatever warranty they have.

PS, this is the link to their returns:

http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9#Tires

mostly for LOLs, they have FUNERAL SERVICES and you can't return the funeral accessories!!!

If you have them on the car, just jack the car up and spin them and see if they look round. You can hold something right next to the tread to use as a reference.

Originally Posted By: Rand
what were you balancing them on?

My super nifty Harbor Freight wheel balancer, (it's a bubble balancer). It actually works great and has more than paid for itself. I balanced the tires that are currently on this car and they ride smooth as silk at all speeds.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Since they're already unmounted, just take them back to customer service and tell them that they're out of round, eg, egg shaped. Don't take no for an answer.

They have a 30 day happiness guarantee. You ain't happy. Don't let them be happy either.
wink.gif

edit: actually, this is their tire policy:

Quote:
TIRES - 90 days if unused

Most tires that have never been mounted or used can be returned to the Customer Service desk of any Walmart store that has a Tire & Lube Express. Stores without a Tire & Lube Express cannot accept tires.

Walmart stores cannot accept returns for tires that have been used or for snow tires in any condition.

You may have to get them to fix it under whatever warranty they have.

PS, this is the link to their returns:

http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9#Tires

mostly for LOLs, they have FUNERAL SERVICES and you can't return the funeral accessories!!!

This makes me think I be stuck with two egg shaped tires as they are "used" (although less that one hundred miles). Rats!!!

Buck up! You're surely stuck if you don't go in.

Even if you can't return them "unsatisfied" you can if defective.

hes probably scared of that woman
smile.gif

Oh yeah.... it... ooops, I meant to say HER....

hes probably scared of that woman
smile.gif

I fear nothing

vg0bbn.jpg

(I should probably add that that's my face pasted over a picture of her body).

Originally Posted By: AboutTires
Were the used tires 205/70 or 205/75?

One is a 205/75/14 the other is a 195/75/14. They are different brands and tread patterns as well.

Three thoughts:

First is that it is a bit confusing, but you mounted the tires yourself, then balanced them on a bubble balancer - right?

And when you put the used tires on, you had to dismount the new ones off the wheels to get those old ones on - right? And then mounted the new ones back on those same wheels, right?

And it still vibrates.

Assuming all of those are true, then: The problem could be the tires aren't dynamically balanced - and it's also possible the tires aren't match mounted to the wheels (runout).

But you have a severe problem. WalMart's policy says that they will accept unmounted and unused tires back - and you have neither.

So I suggest you find someone with a Hunter GSP9700 and have them dynamically balance the tires and check for Road Force.

http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm

And lastly, if the above statements are incorrect, then you're mounting up different assemblies, then it could be the wheels that are the problem - and the guy with the Hunter machine ought to be able to see that as well.

Let us know what the results are.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Are they Continental by any chance?

Douglas

This is the problem. I had one experience with Douglas tires and 3 out of the 4 had the same symptoms that you are facing. I had a spin balancer and I could see from 20 feet away that the tire would go up and down while it rotated on the balancer. It really did feel like I had a pogo stick strapped to the arse of the car.

If you have recently hit a pot hole hard with a car and aluminum wheels it most likely bent the wheel. You won't see it on the outside, because it is much thicker and supported by the face of the wheel. The backside is like the open end of a bucket. Bends very easily. Just had one yesterday bent .120 in. $130 for a unknown condition junk yard wheel. Had it repaired for the same price. Also, watch for outward bulged on the sidewall of the tire. The inner liner gets pinched and air leaks in between the layers of rubber. Anymore, I see %25 of the cars I work on with at least 1 bent wheel. Hardly use to ever happen with 15 in. tires with zero offset wheels. Cars today can't take a good bump. Older cars you wouldn't even know you hit a pothole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back