Discount tire only balanced the inside of the tire.

I find the pound on weights are always a point where corrosion starts for aluminum rims. This corrosion spreads into the bead and eventually results in a rim leak years later.

Always have adhesive weights on my rims. Not by choice. Often they seem to fall off eventually (due to salt/cold?), but before tires need replacing. Wishful thinking is that as the rubber wears, maybe not a bad thing to counter the loss in rubber. Reality is rims/tires always seem to be out of balance towards the tires half-life and beyond. Depending on how bad, I have them rebalanced, anticipating a heavy sell for new tires at the tire shop. Usually fixes things unless the inner braid has failed due to pothole(s).

Always have adhesive weights on my rims. Not by choice. Often they seem to fall off eventually (due to salt/cold?), but before tires need replacing. Wishful thinking is that as the rubber wears, maybe not a bad thing to counter the loss in rubber. Reality is rims/tires always seem to be out of balance towards the tires half-life and beyond. Depending on how bad, I have them rebalanced, anticipating a heavy sell for new tires at the tire shop. Usually fixes things unless the inner braid has failed due to pothole(s).
The OP shopped at discount tire - which includes lifetime balance. I do as well and had mine rebalanced for free - Hunter Road Force machine. Yep, likely sales pitch on new tires. Tell them you can't afford it currently - that gets them to go away. Can't get blood out of a stone my mother says.

No functional problem at all, just not what you're used to.

Curious how often you have weights fly off?
Couple times. Usually sounds like a big rock hit the underside of the floorboards. They arent supposed to be reused, that's why they fly off.

Couple times. Usually sounds like a big rock hit the underside of the floorboards. They arent supposed to be reused, that's why they fly off.
I went to college for this stuff. Guess they
We're teaching outdated methods back then. That was around 2011

True but not the OP's situation.

Is one balance method better that the other?

I recall this debate from a long time ago, on an automotive mailing list.

One member, a college physics professor who had his own balancing machine at home, was fond of saying "balanced is balanced."

First time I ever encountered adhesive weights was in the mid-80s, on TRX wheels that didn't have lips for clip-ons to latch onto.

Properly done, both methods work. The properly done part plays the biggest role, in my estimation, and is the factor at most risk, given the quality of work that's done, and deemed acceptable today.

My steel wheel/hubcaps have clip on weights on outside lip. None of my alloy ones do.

Does the centrifugal force apply any? The clipped on have to stay tight at increasing pull/speed. The stick on get pushed tighter with higher forces.

I don't recall losing any stick on ones in all the years unless not cleaned well first. I have lost clip on ones over the years.

The OP shopped at discount tire - which includes lifetime balance. I do as well and had mine rebalanced for free - Hunter Road Force machine. Yep, likely sales pitch on new tires. Tell them you can't afford it currently - that gets them to go away. Can't get blood out of a stone my mother says.
Road force machine there yes, but they never break the bead and move the tire on the rim to get your “road force” lower! “Takes too much time” they tell me, if you aren’t happy come back and spend a half day sitting in our waiting room. 😡

Road force machine there yes, but they never break the bead and move the tire on the rim to get your “road force” lower! “Takes too much time” they tell me, if you aren’t happy come back and spend a half day sitting in our waiting room. 😡
I never saw them balance them and my truck was in the bay next to the window. Pretty sure they out a small clip on weight on the outside without balancing it thinking ill be happy. That was the point where I got mad and told them to just do whatever.

If people constantly misunderstand you then isn't the logical conclusion that you are the problem?
You would think. But the last few years I have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of people who specialize in professional ignorance. With degrees/certs to prove it!

Not necessarily applicable in OP's case. Just a general observation

You would think. But the last few years I have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of people who specialize in professional ignorance. With degrees/certs to prove it!

Not necessarily applicable in OP's case. Just a general observation
I hired a contractor once and the workers never understand half the stuff the foreman told them to do. One if the guys cracked a joke when I didn't either. The worker told his boss, see even he doesn't understand what you're talking about lol

Back