Only 14 more payments on my Jeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have not replaced anything on my 01' Cherokee that was due to failure in any form. I've 'upgraded' the shocks to Koni's all around and made some performance mods. Replaced brake pads & rotors once and two sets of tires beyond the factory Goodyears (BF Goodrich now). Now @ 110k and runs like new with 17mpg city & 21-23 mpg highway. The only real issue I've ever had with it is the headlight switch going out.

Man, you guys need to lighten up, my Jeep 2.5 was not all that different,

1 trans rebuild (that was a toyota transmission mind you!)
2 steering gearboxes
3 sets of tires
2 radiators
like 1 billion oil pressure units
2 valve cover gaskets
bad u-joints

Chris,

What's you oil/filter/OCI routine on your Jeep?

With temps that high, I'd want a decent synthetic 10W-30/40 in mine.....

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's an 02. I originally leased it then when the lease was up I financed it.

You first leased the vehicle, then you purchased it?

You've really been making payments for 9 or 10 years on it already?

And you still have over a year to go?

How much money do you think you've spent on a vehicle that originally cost somewhere around $16,000?

The amount of money you've spent in repairs pales compared to what you've thrown away in interest.
When I bought it Jeeps were the hot item here. No dealers would even deal. It was full list price of $24K or walk. I couldn't afford the $500 month payment so I leased it for 66 months for about 1/2 that then when the lease was up I financed it which dropped the payments even more.

Still-you've been paying a monthly payment for almost 10 years, and you still have over a year to go.

I guess I don't understand. The last car I made payments on was in 1973. We have never purchased a used cars, but we pay the full amount when we purchase a new car. The idea of paying on a vehicle for a decade or more (1/10 of a century) simply amazes me. Imagine the savings and investments you could have if you would have purchased something within your means.

Do yourself a huge financial favor-get out from under the car payments. Save for a few years for your next purchase, and walk out owning it.

Originally Posted By: defektes

Actually, it is not a Toyota transmission. It's an Aisin AX5. Several variants of these tranny's were used in some Toyota cars and trucks. It is considered to be a weak unit.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: ZGRider
The Wranglers have a great aftermarket parts system and support and they don't change designs near as often as the 4-Runner. It seems like every 2-3 years Toyota has a new style 4-Runner and they never look like the original.

The Wranglers at least try to maintain the traditional look and mechanicals

The 4Runner is a grocery getter.

No even close. My GenIV 4Runner needs nothing to go off roading except tires and if you are real adventurous a lift kit. You have absolutley no knowledge of what you are talking about if you think a 4 Runner is a grocery getter. They come standard with a torson center locker diff roght from the factory plus all the underbody skid plates necessary. Mine also has the fully adjustable suspension and trans oil cooler kit.

Chris, please consult PT1's obvious expertise the next time you buy a ride. Just remember to stay clear of the models that only accelerate, rot in half, or can't stop.

34.gif
Jeep
34.gif

Go ahead...buy another one....see what happens.

Originally Posted By: PT1

Are you serious? My 4Runner would do either of those with ease. Hit the 4Runner forums sometime...you will be amazed at what guys run them through. Way worse than what you are doing.
I was referring to cars not suv's. I doubt if the FWD Ridgeline would even move the tire. Sure a 4 runner or LC would handle them ok. One of my favs was the older Landcruisers that looked somewhat like a Jeep. I need a truck/Jeep type of vehicle here so honda is out. Camry's and Preludes don't fare well here.

The Honda Ridgeline is likened to a Chevy El Camino...definitely not a truck. The Honda Pilot is more of a truck but my 4Runner will run the wheels off a Jeep off road.

Chris, please consult PT1's obvious expertise the next time you buy a ride. Just remember to stay clear of the models that only accelerate, rot in half, or can't stop.

34.gif
Jeep
34.gif

Go ahead...buy another one....see what happens.

PT1:

Let's have an experiment -- you count the number of Jeeps that more than 15 yrs old still on the road and you count the number of 4-Runners still on the road and compare the counts. I'll bet you a paycheck that the Jeep will more than outnumber the 4-Runners. Matter of fact, I'll bet the percentage of Jeeps on the road to the number sold still exceeds the 4-Runners ever though according to you they're trash compared to the mighty 4-Runner.

Face it, you got your head knocked off by the Toyota dealer when you bought your 4-Runner and now it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The spare parts network for Jeeps humiliates the 4-Runner after-market parts supply. You can keep a Jeep on the road virtually forever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: defektes

Actually, it is not a Toyota transmission. It's an Aisin AX5. Several variants of these tranny's were used in some Toyota cars and trucks. It is considered to be a weak unit.

doesn't toyota own the controling in interest in aisin? i thought they did when warner sold out. mike

It's an 02. I originally leased it then when the lease was up I financed it.

You first leased the vehicle, then you purchased it?

You've really been making payments for 9 or 10 years on it already?

And you still have over a year to go?

How much money do you think you've spent on a vehicle that originally cost somewhere around $16,000?

The amount of money you've spent in repairs pales compared to what you've thrown away in interest.
When I bought it Jeeps were the hot item here. No dealers would even deal. It was full list price of $24K or walk. I couldn't afford the $500 month payment so I leased it for 66 months for about 1/2 that then when the lease was up I financed it which dropped the payments even more.

Still-you've been paying a monthly payment for almost 10 years, and you still have over a year to go.

Add up the total amount paid. He saved 50% for 66 months. That money was worth MUCH more then in purchasing power than the residual was at the end of 66 months.

Quote:

I guess I don't understand. The last car I made payments on was in 1973. We have never purchased a used cars, but we pay the full amount when we purchase a new car. The idea of paying on a vehicle for a decade or more (1/10 of a century) simply amazes me. Imagine the savings and investments you could have if you would have purchased something within your means.

You are in such a marginal minority, there would be no auto industry of merit (which can be a debatable topic) if all subscribed to your philosophy here.

Quote:

Do yourself a huge financial favor-get out from under the car payments. Save for a few years for your next purchase, and walk out owning it.

He could just buy used and never have a car payment again. He wanted a Wrangler and it was either pony up or do without. He sacrificed for what he wanted. Nothing wrong with that.

I guess he could have waited for the entire 10 years and had the model change or have the Wrangler disappear all together ..while still having to drive something.

Now that his Wrangler is soon to be paid off, NOW he can have an eternity of no payments. The thing will have parts availability until the sun runs out of hydrogen and he can build a whole new Wrangler from junkyard parts.

my 4Runner will run the wheels off a Jeep off road.

Seriously man, putting all of this internet foolishness aside, your Go-Getter would lose half of it's plastic bumpers, body cladding, and nerf bars just getting to the trail head where I wheel. Comparing your 4Runner to my rig wouldn't really be fair though, but even if we level the playing field: Taking a fully techno-gadget equipped 4Runner against a 4 door Wrangler Rubicon; come on!
Hey I'll admit that the 4runner would ride better and is probably more comfy with it's IFS. But better off road?

I think you need to get some real seat time out on the trail. You know, not mall crawling or internet wheeling. There's a big difference.

Some free advice from one wheeler to another
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Chris,

What's you oil/filter/OCI routine on your Jeep?

With temps that high, I'd want a decent synthetic 10W-30/40 in mine.....
The 4.0 runs forever at those temps so I use Whatevers on sale and hardly the same oil 2x in a row. It seems to Prefer QS 10w30 and any old SAE30 though.\

When I bought it I was Driving my Old International pickup and gas was killing me. When I leased the Jeep I was paying out less per month than I was using gas in the pickup and I had cold AC and hot heat with the new Jeep.

you just lost you credibility here, IFS enough said.

Are you serious? My 4Runner would do either of those with ease. Hit the 4Runner forums sometime...you will be amazed at what guys run them through. Way worse than what you are doing.
I was referring to cars not suv's. I doubt if the FWD Ridgeline would even move the tire. Sure a 4 runner or LC would handle them ok. One of my favs was the older Landcruisers that looked somewhat like a Jeep. I need a truck/Jeep type of vehicle here so honda is out. Camry's and Preludes don't fare well here.

The Honda Ridgeline is likened to a Chevy El Camino...definitely not a truck. The Honda Pilot is more of a truck but my 4Runner will run the wheels off a Jeep off road.

Looks like I should stop complaining about the light bulb that stopped working in the A6 and the replacement HID worth $15 and 30 minutes of my time to change (was ready to designate the car as a lemon). I see much worse things happen to other cars.

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
The Wranglers have a great aftermarket parts system and support and they don't change designs near as often as the 4-Runner. It seems like every 2-3 years Toyota has a new style 4-Runner and they never look like the original.

The Wranglers at least try to maintain the traditional look and mechanicals

The 4Runner is a grocery getter.

No even close. My GenIV 4Runner needs nothing to go off roading except tires and if you are real adventurous a lift kit. You have absolutley no knowledge of what you are talking about if you think a 4 Runner is a grocery getter. They come standard with a torson center locker diff roght from the factory plus all the underbody skid plates necessary. Mine also has the fully adjustable suspension and trans oil cooler kit.

The 4runner, compared to the wrangler, IS a grocery getter. If I took your 4runner and put it on a decent trail with stock jeeps, the jeeps would absolutely eat your 4runner alive. No travel IFS, low ground clearance, an engine that can't match the low end grunt of even the Jeep 2.5L. Plastic bodypanels. I'm sorry, but compared to a stock wrangler, the 4runner is NOT good offroad. Same goes for the Cherokee. The Toyota Highlander, Ford Explorer, GMC envoy etc, simply cannot match the Grand Cherokee offroad.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: HawkeyeScott
Will you go buy new once the paying is done or will you keep driving it?
I'm done with car payments. I'll drive it till it wont go anymore.

I used to think that, but no more. I have an easier time budgeting for a regular car payment that trying to come up with the money for an unexpected repair.
I had my '04 VUE for almost 6yrs and 70K miles, all it needed was 1 set of shocks, 2 sets of tires, 1 set of plugs, and two sets of sway bar end links. and a coolant flush.
I guess I don't understand the jeep thing either; my brother had a CJ for a good while, the thing was broken more than running, horrible mpgs, noisy and uncomfortable. and he loved it.
to be fair, it was an older ne, don't know the year. all I remember was it had a plastic valve cover and a carb.

My 94 Wrangler 4.0L was bullet proof, 15 years later it still started on the first crank, still ran and drove. Just started to rust out with 225k+ on it. Needed new shocks, radiator and leaf springs in the front(i broke em ...). Was super reliable.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Not really. The cost of leasing then buying a Wrangler is not the loser it is with every other vehicle. The difference is a few hundred $$$ while having all that utility of the lower payments for the lease duration. True, he bought an expensive used vehicle, but the market for Wranglers and the typical mileage one accumulates in excess of most lease agreements can make it was wash.

With all due respect, the guy will be making payments for over a decade. Maybe in your book that makes fiscal sense, but in mine it's incredibly foolish.

I don't care what kind of vehicle it is-making car payments on it for a decade is foolish and a sign that someone bought more vehicle than they could afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back