Ok...what are some oils to avoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there's not "best oil", Based on UOA, what are some oils to avoid? I heard some rumors about Coastal products

I would avoid the Accel API/SF oil at wal-mart.
SF is an antiquated standard, and will not provide sufficient protection in today's engines.

I also try to avoid anything made by Warren (Supertech, Coastal, Autozone brand etc.). The add packs seem weak as compared to the name brand oils.

They work fine for reasonable intervals, as evidenced by many people on this board running supertech in their cars.

I just think that for a buck or 2 more I can have a name brand oil with a stronger add pack.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
I also try to avoid anything made by Warren (Supertech, Coastal, Autozone brand etc.). The add packs seem weak as compared to the name brand oils.

Which Warren? WPP, WU, or both? What about XOM Supertech?

FWIW, I've run our Maxx on mostly WPP/XOM Supertech for 66K miles. It's clean as a whistle inside.

The price argument is valid though. ST was awesome when it was $4.96 a jug, but these days Quaker State green bottle is the better deal.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock

Which Warren? WPP, WU, or both? What about XOM Supertech?

FWIW, I've run our Maxx on mostly WPP/XOM Supertech for 66K miles. It's clean as a whistle inside.

The price argument is valid though. ST was awesome when it was $4.96 a jug, but these days Quaker State green bottle is the better deal.

Both, I've used XOM Supertech, when it was cheaper in a friends vehicle who had no money. Never used it in my own vehicles. It's not that it's a bad oil, It's just that there are better oils out there for similar money.

Originally Posted By: Gunatics_Adler
I prefer to avoid anything Citgo, but for the fact I dislike Hugo Chavez muey bueno.

+1, I think this is the reason that all the 7-11's up here don't list Citgo as their fuel brand anymore.

M1 5W30
27.gif

I prefer to avoid anything Citgo, but for the fact I dislike Hugo Chavez muey bueno.

+1, I think this is the reason that all the 7-11's up here don't list Citgo as their fuel brand anymore.

+2, all 7-11's in So Cal don't post Citgo as their fuel brand anymore, they did few years ago but got no customers so they removed the Citgo signs and replaced with 7-11 signs.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

+2, all 7-11's in So Cal don't post Citgo as their fuel brand anymore, they did few years ago but got no customers so they removed the Citgo signs and replaced with 7-11 signs.

That's because they have their own brand now. A move they were planning around 2005 or so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Popinski
Since there's not "best oil", Based on UOA, what are some oils to avoid? I heard some rumors about Coastal products

Anything fron Exxon mobil, Conoco phillips, and Chevron. I very much don't like some American politicians so I refuse to buy from American oil companies.
04.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back