What are the best and worst OEM oils?

From a mechanical standpoint the Camry would be just fine. You’d suffer on fuel economy is all.
I'm sure that's true...if I bought a new Camry I'd stick with 0w20 and I'm sure the MPG drop would be miniscule if at all....and also because I have a good amount from sales etc...

Call me crazy, but isn’t the “best” one relative to the vehicle?

Toyota = Toyota, BMW = BMW, etc.
No, that's not the case. Example: TGMO uses a light base stock and lots of VIs to achieve it's grade rating. This, IMO, is not ideal. A better option is to use a better base stock and fewer VIs. BMW oil may be good, but it's often no better than an oil like Castrol that "meets the spec" and is often more expensive.

The nice thing about Vehicle-branded oil is that you know that you are getting oil that meets the manufacturer's requirements even if it's not the best option for the task.

No, that's not the case. Example: TGMO uses a light base stock and lots of VIs to achieve it's grade rating. This, IMO, is not ideal. A better option is to use a better base stock and fewer VIs. BMW oil may be good, but it's often no better than an oil like Castrol that "meets the spec" and is often more expensive.
In the case of BMW, the BMW branded oil is Castrol.

No, that's not the case. Example: TGMO uses a light base stock and lots of VIs to achieve it's grade rating. This, IMO, is not ideal. A better option is to use a better base stock and fewer VIs.
I'm surprised Toyota had Mobil custom make such an oil when they could have had them 'rebottle' Mobil1 0W20. I'm not doubting what you say but obviously Toyota thought it to be a good oil. PS: I have a case of TGMO from back when everybody thought it to be the bees knees (2016ish). I'll probably use 5 qts of it with 1 qt. M1 0W40 (the old Caterham blend) in my 2016 Escape which isn't fussy about oil.

My 2019 VW came with some silky running oil as FF, have no idea what they use on the line in Mexico

Roshfrans 0w-20.jpg

Then it would be no better than Castrol. Is it identical to Castrol or just manufactured by Castrol?

That is the question. VW used Castrol 5w40 for years but the dealer Castrol was not the same stuff as the Castrol Edge 5w40 black bottle sold over the counter elsewhere . The dealer oil only needed to meet VW 502 (an easy spec) whereas black bottle Edge had a lot more (BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5 to name a couple), and UOAs showed add packs were different as well. Nevertheless most were unaware and black bottle Edge got a reputation as a mediocre oil which persists in part to this day. Both oils yielded excellent results for the intended applications by the way.

Anyway a Euro OEM oil is still likely to be stouter than an Asian OEM that really only specs API ILSAC type lubes.

I use BMW for my kid 330i, it’s tough to find the LL17FE+ spec at parts stores. I trust it’s good stuff.
I never trusted Mopar stuff in the black bottle, the 5 qt and 1 qt were clearly different oils when you poured them out.

Then it would be no better than Castrol. Is it identical to Castrol or just manufactured by Castrol?
It's not known if Castrol uses a unique blend for BMW. In any case the price is the similar to what you could buy from a retail store w/out having to rely on specials (sales, rebates, etc).

When Shell had the contract their blend was not something you could buy in the US at least. Almost a 10w30 and NOACK was around 6% for the 5w30 LL01.

Last edited:
Whereas a BMW would "blow up" on TGMO 0W-16?
Journal bearings can get pretty worn out without "blowing up" an engine. Usually takes some lack of lubrication to lock-up and spin a rod bearing, which could blow it up - ie, "window" the block, lol.

Back