What are the best and worst OEM oils?

What are the best OEM oils?

HGMO, TGMO, AC Delco, BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil?

If you had to run one of these oils which one would you run and why? Which of these oils would you avoid?

Price not withstanding I would pick BMW. I think it's Castrol. Euro specs.

AC Delco is pretty much Mobil (Not Mobil 1). I'd use it but not over just buying the regular Mobil.

TGMO seems like it used to be popular due to high moly content, but it has fallen out of favor due to having a bunch of VII.

No idea on Honda, could be Phillips or Idemitsu.

Nothing wrong with any of them per se, but not sure why you'd use it over readily available retail oils unless you were trying to maintain warranty compliance. BMW probably has the strictest specs that aren't as simple to find at the parts store. I would have no problem using Motorcraft oil, but their semi syn costs more than other brand's full syn.

The European makes OEM oils generally have to meet the toughest requirements. Of those you listed I’d run the BMW.

Anything that meets Porsche A40, MB 229.5 or VW 504 for example is going to be an excellent lube. An oil that meets multiple Euro specs even better. OEM oils typically only list one obviously. Sometimes they are the same oil sold over the counter that meets multiple specs, sometimes not.

This question basically boils down to image.
Manufacturers outline specifications for their products.
Blenders produce product that meets these specifications.
There are independent organizations such as API that serve a check/balance function that these specs are met.
My loyalty is to my wallet, not to has the best advertising, the cutest mascot, etc.
The best oil, IMO, is the one that meets the required specification at the lowest cost.

This thread poses the typical undefined BITOG question.
What's the best .... ???

Best means what, exactly?
Under what operational conditions?
Exposed to what environment?
For what application?
Using it for how long?

OP - you've been here 9 years; you should know better than to ask a question phrased like a noob.

What's the best .... ???

For what application?
Using it for how long?

OP - you've been here 9 years; you should know better than to ask a question phrased like a noob.

I didn't even specify a car so obviously "best" is relative to similar oils. For example is TGMO or HGMO better?

But apparently generalizations are not allowed.

What's the best .... ???

For what application?
Using it for how long?

Stupid questions are asked here every day. What do you have against this guy??

I’ve run Toyota oil in plenty of stuff Toyotas, Honda’s, Mitsubishi, Fords, Kia, all kinds of vehicles that I service on my own and all of them are still on the road and running. I can’t prove it’s the “best” but it hasn’t caused any problems. I’d run it without hesitation just to my knowledge it doesn’t meet Ford specs so I’d have to double check before I’d run it in my Fords but I put it in another one that the customer gave approval for and it hasn’t caused issues. And I get it for $2 a quart employee price so can’t beat that.

I have been using Idemitsu 0w20 in the wife's Subaru. I don't know if it's actually the same as Subaru OEM oil, but it's probably close. I can get it delivered to my work so it is convenient and saves me a trip to the store.

What's 'best' in one vehicle might not be 'best' in another. For instance the 0w40 Mobil or Castrol etc...might be best in a VW but wouldn't be very good in a Camry which spec's 0w16.

Back