Ok I am drop entire line of puro product include

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
meanwhile planet earth still revolves around the sun. allegedly.

Don't you start saying earth it round either! I won't believe it!

At the end of the day.. You have hours and hours of real world experience. Has to mean a whole lot at the end of it all.
I still like the Fram Ultra filter but I know that Napa/Wix are just fine too. Kind of like asking whether I like beef ribs or pork ribs? Ahh yes to both for sure. Which I smoke myself for 2 hours and 4 hours respectively, with good dry rubs as well
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Efficiency ratings, "made for synthetic", wire-backed media... all marketing nonsense. OEM "rock catchers" are more than enough. Millions of VWs have run 100's of millions of miles WITOUT oil filters at all.

Must have been a ton of VWs, because they were lucky to last 80~100K miles before all the bearings were shot and needed a rebuild.

Just another one of your typical, weak, and deflecting arguments. The same could be said for GM, Ford, and Chrysler too. The Big 3's reliability was so poor back in the day, everyone considered 100k done. And those all had oil filters.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Must have been a ton of VWs, because they were lucky to last 80~100K miles before all the bearings were shot and needed a rebuild.

I have to ask my mom how many miles she was able to get on her VW.

80-100k on an engine with no filter is pretty impressive though IMO.

Just another one of your typical, weak, and deflecting arguments. The same could be said for GM, Ford, and Chrysler too. The Big 3's reliability was so poor back in the day, everyone considered 100k done. And those all had oil filters.

Air cooled Veedubs weren't the toughest-but you could rebuild one for $100 or so in parts including jugs (cylinders).

Who said they did nothing? They're just not as important as what a few here make them out to be.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
OEMs would have got rid of oil filters if they did nothing a long time ago. Imagine saving a few $ per car!

...They're just not as important as what a few here make them out to be.

...because having exorbitant amounts of contaminants in your engine oil is...good?

Sounds like having a good oil filter is very important.

Oh, brother. Where are the "exorbitant" yadda, yadda coming from?

Originally Posted By: jk_636
...because having exorbitant amounts of contaminants in your engine oil is...good?

Sounds like having a good oil filter is very important.

Last edited:

Go tell your boss that oil filters really don't matter and you're just going to blank off the oil filter mount and not use filters anymore on all that million dollar equipment of his. See what he says. LoL

Thing is, you have no argument about really anything it seems.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I have to ask my mom how many miles she was able to get on her VW.

80-100k on an engine with no filter is pretty impressive though IMO.

Member Gary Allen chimed in quite a few times on this. He said even with regular oil changes it was rare to get over 80K on a VW engine that ran no oil filter, just the screen.

Go tell your boss that oil filters really don't matter and you're just going to blank off the oil filter mount and not use filters anymore on all that million dollar equipment of his. See what he says. LoL

X2. I have to agree with Zee on this one. I find it hard to believe that someone in the "auto repair business" would try and downplay the importance of an oil filter.
21.gif

Maybe that is what this person was thinking also...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC-SxrsgEwo

X2. I have to agree with Zee on this one. I find it hard to believe that someone in the "auto repair business" would try and downplay the importance of an oil filter.
21.gif

X3

Your response is nothing more than your typical misinformation and deflection I have grown accustomed from you and your posts. Oil filters have a purpose, they're just not as important as you make them out to be and want them to be.

I've provided examples of equipment that have no oil filters. I'll do so again: augers, trash pumps, water pumps, plate compactors, generators, chop saws, chain saws, just to name a few. All run in deplorable conditions by guys that don't care about their life span, use the cheapest oils, and the wrong pre-mixes in cases of the two strokes. No oil filters. They do have fuel filters and air filters. Most air filters have foam pre-filters. That's because the manufacturers know what's important.

Today I began to service a cold planer. 700 HP C-18 CAT. FOUR air filters the size of trash cans, TWO fuel filters, and buried deep TWO oil filters. The engine alone costs more than you will make in your lifetime. The boss don't care about what or how many filters, just how much does it cost? If it has oil filters, they get replaced with a WIX before the start of the season. If it doesn't have oil filters, he's happy it doesn't cost him money to replace. He's smart enough to know you don't block them off either so spare me your deflection. I never said oil filters don't serve a purpose. Oil filters don't deserve the attention you give them. I tried to nip that in the bud with my previous post but your reading comprehension is lacking.

You can + 1 million and high-five each other until your hands fall off. It doesn't mean you know what you are talking about. I'm also not in the "auto repair business" so your quotes are as wrong as you understanding of the function of filters.

Out of all the filters on an ICE, the oil filter is the least important.

21.gif

The engine alone costs more than you will make in your lifetime.
Really? Just for grins and giggles, tell us how much it costs.

Today I began to service a cold planer. 700 HP C-18 CAT. FOUR air filters the size of trash cans, TWO fuel filters, and buried deep TWO oil filters. The engine alone costs more than you will make in your lifetime.

According to this:
http://www.oceanmarineengines.com/caterpillar.html

A new C18 is $84,000. I certainly hope he's making a lot more than that in his lifetime.

Your response is nothing more than your typical misinformation and deflection I have grown accustomed from you and your posts. Oil filters have a purpose, they're just not as important as you make them out to be and want them to be.

I've provided examples of equipment that have no oil filters. I'll do so again: augers, trash pumps, water pumps, plate compactors, generators, chop saws, chain saws, just to name a few. All run in deplorable conditions by guys that don't care about their life span, use the cheapest oils, and the wrong pre-mixes in cases of the two strokes. No oil filters. They do have fuel filters and air filters. Most air filters have foam pre-filters. That's because the manufacturers know what's important.

Today I began to service a cold planer. 700 HP C-18 CAT. FOUR air filters the size of trash cans, TWO fuel filters, and buried deep TWO oil filters. The engine alone costs more than you will make in your lifetime. The boss don't care about what or how many filters, just how much does it cost? If it has oil filters, they get replaced with a WIX before the start of the season. If it doesn't have oil filters, he's happy it doesn't cost him money to replace. He's smart enough to know you don't block them off either so spare me your deflection. I never said oil filters don't serve a purpose. Oil filters don't deserve the attention you give them. I tried to nip that in the bud with my previous post but your reading comprehension is lacking.

With all due respect, how can you accuse him of deflection and then substantiate your argument by saying that since chain saws dont have oil filters that they (oil filters) must not be that important? That is apples to oranges. Chain saws, chop saws, augers etc. dont encounter anywhere near the engine hours or interal wear in their lifetime that larger ICE experiences on a regular basis.

And FYI...most diesel generators and water pumps actually do have oil filters on them these days...just saying.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Today I began to service a cold planer. 700 HP C-18 CAT. FOUR air filters the size of trash cans, TWO fuel filters, and buried deep TWO oil filters. The engine alone costs more than you will make in your lifetime.

According to this:
http://www.oceanmarineengines.com/caterpillar.html

A new C18 is $84,000. I certainly hope he's making a lot more than that in his lifetime.

That comment was in poor taste. He was either trying to be funny or demeaning. I hope it wasn't the latter.

Last edited:
...so your quotes are as wrong as you understanding of the function of filters...

Your right...oil filters are an elusive bunch. Quite difficult to understand thoroughly...
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back