Ok I am drop entire line of puro product include

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Why are you dropping purolator again? Did you personally experience a torn filter, or are you making this decision based on what others on the internet are saying? Bonjour...
crazy.gif

Lot's of people were reported to get major food poisoning at Joe's Grub Tub and you read about it many times and saw photos and videos of people being carried away to the hospital. Will you go eat at Joe's Grub Tub tomorrow for lunch? LoL
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Ok I am drop entire line of puro product include my all time favorite motorcraft
frown.gif
, until puro complete fix their problem.

How do we know Purolator hasn't fixed their problem already?
They surely aren't going to announce a fix. Once they do, then thousands and thousands of old stock in our garages and basements are headed back to the store, right after we swap their new filters in the box for the old ones.

C'mon..... they will NEVER announce a fix.

We still have not seen even one Purolator cut open and posted here that was made after July 2014. If some were posted up, and it looked like the pleat spacing was all nice and even all the way around on them all, then I might conclude that Purolator fixed something - at least the wide pleat spacing issue near the seam.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Why are you dropping purolator again? Did you personally experience a torn filter, or are you making this decision based on what others on the internet are saying? Bonjour...
crazy.gif

Lot's of people were reported to get major food poisoning at Joe's Grub Tub and you read about it many times and saw photos and videos of people being carried away to the hospital. Will you go eat at Joe's Grub Tub tomorrow for lunch? LoL
grin.gif

See below:

http://bit.ly/1PFxOfN

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Ok I am drop entire line of puro product include my all time favorite motorcraft
frown.gif
, until puro complete fix their problem.

How do we know Purolator hasn't fixed their problem already?
They surely aren't going to announce a fix. Once they do, then thousands and thousands of old stock in our garages and basements are headed back to the store, right after we swap their new filters in the box for the old ones.

C'mon..... they will NEVER announce a fix.

We still have not seen even one Purolator cut open and posted here that was made after July 2014. If some were posted up, and it looked like the pleat spacing was all nice and even all the way around on them all, then I might conclude that Purolator fixed something - at least the wide pleat spacing issue near the seam.

You cant fix what was never broken in the first place! It isn't clear that there was ever a "problem" in the first place...
hooked.gif

You cant fix what was never broken in the first place! It isn't clear that there was ever a "problem" in the first place...
hooked.gif

Dude ... please.
crazy.gif
grin.gif

I called my filter distributor and he picked up all my purolater filters and replaced them with others.. We went through a couple of brands and decided on wix Jobber filters. Two other shops we buy with changed over to the wix also although they did not send the purolaters back like we did.
Also the reason nobody posted any purolater after July 2014 is because everyone in the know stopped using them.

Im Not a Fram guy but Fram ultra seems to be a well made filter for keeping oil clean and they say the flow is good. Wix is also a nice filter that flows well.

Crazyoildude you cant really think that "everyone in the know" stopped using purolator. I know that there are more people here than just me who continue to use Purolator products...get real man.

^^^ Everyone who hangs out here is "in the know" about tearing Purolators. Per crazyoildude, a lot of parts distributors and shops know about them too. Word spreads around, it's not all just confined to this filter forum.

This filter/efficiency hysteria in this sub-forum is comical. Filters do little more for the typical BITOG maniac than to keep the oil from running out the hole.

Efficiency ratings, "made for synthetic", wire-backed media... all marketing nonsense. OEM "rock catchers" are more than enough. Millions of VWs have run 100's of millions of miles WITOUT oil filters at all. I flogged the snot out of my VW-powered dune buggy at the Imperial Sand Dunes (aka Glamis) for years w/o an oil filter. Thousands of other people do too.

All of this fighting is nothing more than typical BITOG blowhard, chest thumping, "I got/want the BEST" stupidity.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Its also known on multiple forums I frequent.

pretty much all the forums i've seen use BITOG as a reference. In short, a circle jerk.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
This filter/efficiency hysteria in this sub-forum is comical. Filters do little more for the typical BITOG maniac than to keep the oil from running out the hole.

Efficiency ratings, "made for synthetic", wire-backed media... all marketing nonsense. OEM "rock catchers" are more than enough. Millions of VWs have run 100's of millions of miles WITOUT oil filters at all. I flogged the snot out of my VW-powered dune buggy at the Imperial Sand Dunes (aka Glamis) for years w/o an oil filter. Thousands of other people do too.

All of this fighting is nothing more than typical BITOG blowhard, chest thumping, "I got/want the BEST" stupidity.

I've been preaching efficiency isn't everything for roughly the last year or so after learning 'Yoda filters had such low efficiency. Using a Fram XG/TG certainly isn't going to hurt anything, but using a Napa Silver isn't going to either.

A filter with a tear in it is something I wouldn't be defending though. Would you run a Purolator on one of the heavy machines you service? (I personally wouldn't sleep well at night if I did.)

I am "real man" as you put it and im in the auto business i hear what is going on in my industry.. Are you in the auto repair business ?

Maybe if Puro was a US company they would address the problem openly. Meanwhile I will buy anything but. Don't be surprised if Fram doesn't start making the Motorcraft after market oil filters as well as the originals.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

I've been preaching efficiency isn't everything for roughly the last year or so after learning 'Yoda filters had such low efficiency. Using a Fram XG/TG certainly isn't going to hurt anything, but using a Napa Silver isn't going to either.

A filter with a tear in it is something I wouldn't be defending though. Would you run a Purolator on one of the heavy machines you service? (I personally wouldn't sleep well at night if I did.)

The one test on one type filter from a competitor doesn't write the 50% efficiency for all Toyota filters in stone. I need to see a couple more professional tests. I see on the Denso site they say 2 ply media, that seems to be a new thing. One thing I do know is the media seems to be tough and the filter very simple and smart in design.
I also don't put much into marketing efficiency numbers as the oil is circulating many times per minute through a filter.

You are right. Not all are 50% and I should have specified. I guess a good thing to note is if a car manufacturer has an OEM filter with such low efficiency, (regardless of how many are out there) thats a good enough answer for me.

For example, the filters for my moms new 'Yoda 4runner TRD Pro doesnt have very many filter options out there. Its a cartridge filter and the easiest thing to find by far is the WIX. WM has the TG IIRC, but its very $$$. (From what I can tell, its OEM, WIX and the Fram TG) 10k intervals are recommended too. The WIX filters will be up to it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

pretty much all the forums i've seen use BITOG as a reference. In short, a circle jerk.
Good point.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Most forums I frequent dont care about oil filters nor do they know anything them. Jeep Forum being the number one. I have given up with trying to spread the "correct" (non opinionated factual) information about oil and filters.

The latest one being WIX is made by Champ, the K&N being identical to the M1 with the exception of the nut, and Champ making exceptional products, but anything Fram sucks. One guy also thought PYB and other SOPUS products caused sludge. He called me a lair/ troll when I showed him how clean my engine was.. The mods there dont give 2 [censored] about spreading the correct info either.

I now prefer to keep it that way so the prices stay down for me as well as other BITOG members who think logically.
smile.gif

Last edited:
you know, there will be a time when all the auto-part counter-jockeys are going to tell you that the Purolators will tear and your Pennzoil will turn to wax (which would be funny because shouldn't the wax plug those gaping tears? Only if the wax rumor was true...).

Speaking of the Tearolator-deniers using obscene descriptions, the tearing problem is "out" and I have seen it as well on other forums. Worse for Purolator is that the "information" is being condensed to "don't use Purolator, they tear" which makes it seem even more horrific to a non-oil nerd. Purolator had a chance to "quarantine" the issue by addressing the item (having good customer service) and keeping it contained to small "specialty" online groups. Unfortunately, they ignored the issue and now it is leaking out... and ticking off the former customers that they gave a cold shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back