Oilguard bypass on 92 ford IDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The install instructions from Oilguard for the 7.3 are for the later powerstroke model. The ports shown on their website for oil out and oil in seem different than on my older 7.3. Anyone done this? I called Oilguard and they said to look at the website and if the ports were different then they didn't know how I would do it. I have a second call in to them and am waiting for a call back from one of their techies.

Thanks
Chris

I have only done one of those. I did a fleet of commercial vehicles. One was an old 7.3 similar to my 6.9. On the 7.3 and my 6.9 I teed off at the oil pressure switch and returned the oil thru a hollow bolt in place of one of the bolts that hold on the fill neck. I bolted the Motor Guard to the plastic fan shroud on the left side on the 6.9. I put a 250 HP Gulf Coast filter on the 7.3. I got radical later with the 6.9, I bolted a 750 HP rated submicronic filter to a cross member. I tossed the full flow filter. I screwed on a Perma-Cool remote mount adapter and ran the hoses to the big filter. I had to run it a minute or so at a time and top off the oil. It took 3 1/2 gallons to fill the filter. It has the remote filter mount but it is after the big MG-750. Think of a MG-750 as a large TP filter with a high quality roll of toilet paper 16" tall and 8" wide. You get the advantages of TP and the size advantage of a big filter. I have always followed the rule that if you buy a bypass filter it might as well clean oil.
My first sample sent to Blackstone Labs showed the oil to be very clean as I expected. Since I had just added 3 1/2 gallons of oil to fill the filter it doesn't mean as much as the next sample. The numbers should get better then level off. I will probably need to change the big filter at 30 thousand as well as the secondary FL 1 A. When you are dealing with soot you need a submicronic filter and it needs to be changed.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Thanks Ralph for the info. In looking at my full flow oil filter manifold there are three ports and at least one other in the block that may be good for return. I was called back today by Oilguard. I spoke with a very nice guy who identified himself as an owner of the business. He was unfamiliar with the specifics of my motor and suggested I identify the appropriate oil in and oil out ports by a trial and error method. I would like to know from someone who has crossed this same bridge just which ports should be used. Any help would be appreciated.
Chris

I would go to one of the websites that have forums for 6.9's and 7.3 IDI's (thedieselstop.com is one) and see what the guys there say. There should be somebody that knows where the ports are that you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back