Oil rec - LS1 TransAm, modified, high miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is a '98 Trans Am with 143,000 miles on the engine. LS6 Heads, cam, and ported LS6 oil pump (without the high pressure spring) were done at 135k. (CR is slightly increased over stock, and car puts down 410rwhp) When we pulled the heads, the crosshatching was still clearly visible in the cylinders, and all the parts we could see showed very little if any wear. Oil pressure is still decent (35psi at 2k RPM), so I don't think there's too much bearing wear (we didn't pull the caps)

The car gets ~2500 miles a year put on it, but they are hard miles. I really enjoy running it through the gears to 7k RPM often, and because I have the mental maturity of a 15 year old, block long burnouts are still fun.

I run RS 5w-40 or M1 5w-40 in my 8.1L truck, but I'm thinking there's something better suited to the car, which I figure would be a candidate for annual OCI in the fall before being put to bed in the winter.

Lastly, I live in a small town in central PA, so oils that are not carried at the major chains are less appealing.

Thanks!

Probably anything would work in that situation. Napa synthetic is on sale until the 30th for $3.49/qt (it's Valvoline).

Does that car have an oil life monitor? It probably makes some adjustment for the modifications, and especially since you rev it higher than it ever would stock.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Does that car have an oil life monitor?

No, no oil life monitor on this one.

M1 15W-50 - available in WalMart. At 2500 miles/yr, you could probably change it once every 2 years and be fine.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
M1 15W-50 - available in WalMart. At 2500 miles/yr, you could probably change it once every 2 years and be fine.

too thick for and LS engine. a good 30wt or 40wt is more than adequate.

Originally Posted By: bigt61

Why so thick. This engine isn't air cooled,like come on man. The original spec is 5w-30 so bless the bearing clearances are double the stock ones there is no reason whatsoever to use such a thick oil.
And any syn will go 2 years at that mileage honestly.
Op. if its your summer car I'd go with a 10w-30 or even maybe a high mileage variant even.
And there is always old faithful M1 0w-40 which is always a good bet in a performance application. German Castrol would also be a contender. Heck any euro spec oil would be great and then there is amsoil.
Amsoil a 10w-30 has shown to be nearly shear proof in the mustangs I've seen analysis done on,and its the king of long drain oils.
If you consider the whole package maybe amsoil for the win. No maintenance required for a few years and a proven durable oil in performance applications. I'm sure Pablo will hook you up with a good deal.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If you consider the whole package maybe amsoil for the win. No maintenance required for a few years and a proven durable oil in performance applications. I'm sure Pablo will hook you up with a good deal.

I'd second the Amsoil suggestion, even though you mentioned that you'd prefer to have it available in major stores. The Z-Rod 10W-30 would probably be ideal for your situation, because it was designed to prevent rust from storage and it's on the heavy side of the 30-weight scale so it will take the beating that you intend to give it. I've heard that Pablo's prices are very reasonable and it's delivered right to you door.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

I'll check out the AMSOIL (being delivered is even better than going to the store!) and depending on how the pricing works out, I'll either swap that or the T6 in this coming fall.

I'd pass on Amsoil Z-Rod 10W-30, it's heavier than Mobil 1 0W-40 on start-up, and from the sound of things you don't require an oil that thick based on your oil pressure.

In an inexpensive OTC oil I'd suggest Quaker State Defy 5W-30 and if you're interested in a high end oil Red Line 0W-30.

5w30 M1 or 5w30 M1 HM every 7500 miles. Those have worked well for me over the years, and they are available locally.
If all you're doing is rowing through the gears a couple of times a day, you don't need a thick oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back