Oil Leaking from Drain Plug

If your drain plug is leaking, take it out, wait for all the oil to drip out, clean the area with brake cleaner, dip the plug in jb weld, and reinstall it. No more concerns. Or, you know, replace it, they are cheap!

They flatten out over time. I’ve seen it. Some of them get so flat that you have to cut them off.
I've never had that problem with the aluminum drain bolt washers I've used. I can see some slight marks on them from the compression, but they don't flatten out at all. I torque my drain plugs to specs.

I've never had that problem with the aluminum drain bolt washers I've used. I can see some slight marks on them from the compression, but they don't flatten out at all. I torque my drain plugs to specs.
Depends on the material. I think some of the aftermarket replacements are harder than the original ones. But I have had to cut off my share of deformed drain plug washers....many times.

Here's an example after one use:

Depends on the material. I think some of the aftermarket replacements are harder than the original ones. But I have had to cut off my share of deformed drain plug washers....many times.
The ones I've used are appatantly not that soft. The aluminum drain plug washers that came from the factory on my motorcycles have never crushed down enough to deform them visibly. Guess if I miced them it might be a few thousands of an inch, but nothing requiring replacement and never locking the washer on the drain plug.

I've also used copper washer gaskets on some drain plugs, and they don't flatten out either. Can reuse them without issues.

Last edited:
Next time you change your oil you will have to inspect the threads on both the plug and the pan. Also check the surface face around the pan threads. Hopefully nobody used a screwdriver or something to put gouges in that surface.

Regarding washers, there are several kinds. Crush washers, friction washers, rubber or nylon washers. Use the one that goes with your car.

I had a 2019 Mazda 3 hatch. It did this exact thing. I unfortunately lost the full 5qts of Mobil 1 ep, but I replaced the crush washer, and it solved my issue.
Did 5 quarts drip out before you replaced the washer, or were they lost in the process of changing it? I've had instances in which I had to replace a crush washer not long after I changed my oil and probably lost no more than a half quart of oil each time, probably more than I needed to.

Try a new crush washer, and just put some Teflon tape or some thread sealer on the threads when you put the bolt back on. Just a thin layer of it will do. It will never leak again. Might not even need a new crush washer.

I know Teflon tape isn’t recommended for this application, but it will work fine. Just put some on towards the head of the bolt.

Did 5 quarts drip out before you replaced the washer, or were they lost in the process of changing it? I've had instances in which I had to replace a crush washer not long after I changed my oil and probably lost no more than a half quart of oil each time, probably more than I needed to.
I truthfully didn’t care to try to catch it, or try to slowly top off until it was full again. Easier to just dump, and replace since I did it laying on the ground with the car on ramps.

I've had an issue where factory plugs were deformed from being over torqued. This would cause the threads to be buggered up and wouldn't spin smoothly throughout the thread travel. Fortunately both times a new lubricated bolt fixed the issue and I was able to seemingly chase and clean up the threads. Never had an issue after that but I do use new gaskets if they are aluminum.

Update on this thread. I purchased a new drain plug from the dealer. It appears to have solved the problem.

The drain plug I removed appeared different than the dealer one, and the bolt head had some rust spots on it, so it may have been an aftermarket one.

I've also found the on my Mazda that the factory crush washer is painted on when the oil pan is painted. You must get the original washer off before putting a new one on.
Can confirm. Just changed the oil for the first time in Wifes 2024 CX-5. Washer was painted. It was SUPER fun getting it off, but I finally did.

OP: Make sure you're not doubled up on washers....

Last edited:
Dorman 5/8" nylon are what I use. No need to replace with every change. I use to use the aluminum washers and flip them every time. When I had to use a tool to get them off then I changed them for new.

Well, oil leaking on my driveway, garage floor, where ever, ain't good. I reuse crusher warshers once or twice, but keeping Honda/Toyota plus a small assortment of others ain't gonna break the bank.

If the plug does not thread in easily by hand, after a quick wire brush clean, it goes in the trash.

Funny thing, even after loosening the drain plug a few turns no oil is leaking - at least nit right away. Only when I'm on the kast two turns before the plug comes out the oil starts seeping out. I have had oil.leaks from valve covers and the oil woukd make its way down to the pan. It would drip off the drain bolt and at a casual glance it looked like the drain plug was leaking.

Back