Thickest common 5w30 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for the thickest 5w30 oils that are common to find. I am not well educated enough to find out my own, i think its cst or hths that matters? I need some of you well educated guys to help me, I don’t know. No, I don’t want to use a 40wt oil. Most threads I find on this topic are either more than 4 years old so outdated. Or no one answers the question and just says “use a higher grade” I just want a straight up answer of the heaviest 5w30 oils I can find at Walmart or autozone. Thanks. Car is a 1uz ls400 non vvti and a 2uz tundra non vvti. I don’t need or want to explain why I want a thicker oil, I just want to know which ones fit the description. If I had to guess, Quaker state or penzoil full syn euro L may be the thickest. Thanks

thickest 5w-30 is going to be a Euro 5w-30. they’re borderline 40wts.
Ok thanks. The only common one in my area is penzoil euro L 5w30. Think that’s fine to use in my gas engines for regular oil change intervals? I know it says it’s fine but would like your opinion. Sorry don’t want to be annoying but I love to talk about oil

One thing you're not really taking into consideration is the vis retention factor. Something might be the "thickest" out of the bottle, but shear down more than another product which might have a lower, but more stable starting vis.

Often, if the OCI isn't super long, the loss of vis has no correlation to wear anyway; it's essentially moot for "normal" applications. I'm not saying a loss of vis is desirable, but they drop in vis gets overblown many times.

If the lube properties are not affecting wear (vis, FP, etc), then they are only cautionary notes indicating closer scrutiny is warranted.

Ok thanks. The only common one in my area is penzoil euro L 5w30. Think that’s fine to use in my gas engines for regular oil change intervals? I know it says it’s fine but would like your opinion. Sorry don’t want to be annoying but I love to talk about oil
This is probably the thickest “true” 30 grade you’re going to find, and yes it’s fine for gas engines. I’ve used it a couple times in my Subaru and Odyssey in the past.

If you love to talk about oil, join a couple of the HPL-authored threads, a few of them are approaching 1000 posts 🤣

My go to thick 30 grade oil is Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4, it's a Euro grade oil that carries ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01. Last time I looked it had a listed viscosity of KV100 = 11.9 cSt.

It also has Euro levels (~ 1000 ppm) of ZDDP (zinc and Phos) meaning it's "only" API SL due to it being over the API SN & SP Phos limit for a 30 grade. But those Euro OEM specs above set a very high standard. It's a high quality but high SAPS oil.

If you must have something that ends with 30 for whatever reason then castrol edge euro or pennzoil platinum euro L 5w-30 can be had at walmart. But you can get any 0/5w-40. I'm using quaker state euro 5w-40 at the moment.

Looking for the thickest 5w30 oils that are common to find. I am not well educated enough to find out my own, i think its cst or hths that matters? I need some of you well educated guys to help me, I don’t know. No, I don’t want to use a 40wt oil. Most threads I find on this topic are either more than 4 years old so outdated. Or no one answers the question and just says “use a higher grade” I just want a straight up answer of the heaviest 5w30 oils I can find at Walmart or autozone. Thanks. Car is a 1uz ls400 non vvti and a 2uz tundra non vvti. I don’t need or want to explain why I want a thicker oil, I just want to know which ones fit the description. If I had to guess, Quaker state or penzoil full syn euro L may be the thickest. Thanks
With all of those mysterious caveats I’m not sure you really want an answer.

Also it’s not about the thickest, it’s about the highest HT/HS.

It’s really simple. What are the thickest 5w30s I can buy that don’t include boutique oils…… i don’t understand why no one likes to answer questions on this forum. “ I don’t think you want an answer” yes, yes I do, I’m doing my oil this week and would like to pick the thickest 30wt oil, looks like I’m going to go with penzoil euro L because that’s an answer I was given. Now what’s yours?

Thanks for educating me, as I stated in my post I’m uneducated, so what oil has the highest ht/hs? Quaker state? Penzoil? Mobile one high mileage? What’s your opinion

Rotella Multi Vehicle 5W30 is really on the thickish side for a 30 weight. Bang for the buck -- Quaker State Ultimate Protection 5W30 priced and picked up at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back