Does oil go bad after time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
This question has come up several times that I can recall. Mobil, I believe, has said that oil more than five years old should not be used. Some folks here believe otherwise, and that older oil is fine, and have used old oil.

Lake Speed, a well-known oil geek, has done some tests to see what happens to older oil. This video might just answer that question. If nothing else, perhaps it will generate some lively discussion.

This question has come up several times that I can recall. Mobil, I believe, has said that oil more than five years old should not be used. Some folks here believe otherwise, and that older oil is fine, and have used old oil.

Lake Speed, a well-known oil geek, has done some tests to see what happens to older oil. This video might just answer that question. If nothing else, perhaps it will generate some lively discussion.

What was his conclusion?

When I discovered BITOG and the "Product Rebates, Sales, Promotions" forum and then started buying oils of all grades
on closeout/discontinued/rebate etc., from reputable stores and continued building up quite a healthy oil stash of oil. And much of the oil was already a year old or older on the store shelves. Then I had it on hand myself for several years 'cause I had sooooo much oil. I mean, I may have had over 100 quarts at any one time.

I've used oil older than 5 years old in expensive vehicles/engines and never had an issue during that OCI.
It's not as though all I was using was old oil, it's just that I had so much oil on hand that some when way past 5 years.

What was his conclusion?
The main concern is that the additives and viscosity index improvers fall out of suspension, especially the anti-foam. He is submitting shaken and un-shaken bottles for oil analysis... it will be interesting to see the results of that.

Regardless of additives, old oil does not meet spec for newer engines... so that limits the practicality of using it unless you exclusively work on older engines.

A few previous threads on this popular question, some of which "generate some lively discussion" that you're looking for.

The first link is a repeat of the video, some of the rest may also:

Ironically I probably have more experience with “old” oil than 99.5% of the industry. Certainly more than LS. As we’ve been doing lubricants for 105 years.

TL;DR - yes it goes bad. The 5 year mark is typically taken from the FAA shelf life for aircraft lubricants. Most of it depends a lot on storage conditions. Yes, certain things like greases will go bad first.

We’ve found oil over 60 years old in our warehouse. No; it was not good. Additives separated out.

Oil will last a long time. The performance degradation isn’t linear either.

Newer oils with solubility issues (like the ULV transmission products) will have a much shorter shelf life than older more “conventional” products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back