Oil for VW 2.0T??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Maybe that SLX OE 5w-30 will be doing its job, or VW dealers might be able to get some Euro oils that have the newer standards, such as 504 00, 507 00.

Unfortunately, the Euro oils don't do any better. What do you think the factory fill is? Tada, 5W30 oil formulated to the 504 standard. I can't say for other VW/Audi engines, but I can say conclusively that for the RS4 engine, the factory fill is no better than other "approved" oils that we've tested.

Gilitar, that is a fairly [censored] statement. Judging reliability on what is said on forums is very inaccurate. People on forums always come to complain. You will hadly ever see a good post, saying. Hey I got a car for 100 k and I only had a minor problem.

I am at 65 000 miles, 5 years of ownership, every day car, trip from NYC to Reno, NV (across US on I80) and have not had any major issues. Car has been very reliable.

Diesel VWs tend to be even more reliable.

I think Valvoline Synpower 5W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40 would be two oils to consider.... they meet the VW 502.00 specs and should be fine for 5K to 7K OCI's.

Maybe in the VW engine you will need to have Tery check UOA if you want to run over 5K ...since this engine might have some issues.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/Synpower.pdf
-------------------------

Mobil 1 0W-40 meets key industry and car builder specifications for:

Mercedes MB 229.5
BMW Longlife 01

Porsche Approval List 2002
VW 502.00/505.00/503.01

GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline)
GM-LL-B-025 (diesel)

ACEA A3, B3/B4
API SM/CF

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx

"I think Valvoline Synpower 5W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40 would be two oils to consider.... they meet the VW 502.00 specs and should be fine for 5K to 7K OCI's."

Go back and read RI_RS4's posts that concern 502 spec oil and see if you don't start to see things a little differently. You can also take advantage of all this testing by paying nothing more than the cost of the oil. This is one situation where there is a lot of information available about a specific oil and how it performs in vehicles at the hands of owners, not just numbers in a report supplied by the oil company.

Quote:

"I think Valvoline Synpower 5W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40 would be two oils to consider.... they meet the VW 502.00 specs and should be fine for 5K to 7K OCI's."

Go back and read RI_RS4's posts that concern 502 spec oil and see if you don't start to see things a little differently. You can also take advantage of all this testing by paying nothing more than the cost of the oil. This is one situation where there is a lot of information available about a specific oil and how it performs in vehicles at the hands of owners, not just numbers in a report supplied by the oil company.

thumbsup.gif
I second this post.

Quote:

Gilitar, that is a fairly [censored] statement. Judging reliability on what is said on forums is very inaccurate. People on forums always come to complain. You will hadly ever see a good post, saying. Hey I got a car for 100 k and I only had a minor problem.

I am at 65 000 miles, 5 years of ownership, every day car, trip from NYC to Reno, NV (across US on I80) and have not had any major issues. Car has been very reliable.

Diesel VWs tend to be even more reliable.

How about Consumer Reports who list Volkswagen cars among the bottom half of basically every reliability ranking they have. In fact, in the latest test there isn't a single VW product tested that had even better than average reliability. There are reasons to like VW (interior design), but you have to have your head in the sand (that is the nice way of putting it) to think they are reliable.

Jon

Quote:

Maybe when Honda builds an exciting one with torque?

Is 260lb/ft out of 2.3l enough for you? Any company can make a forced induction engine with torque, Honda chooses makes engines that last. Too bad VW can't say the same recently except for the 2.0 8V and maybe the 2.8 V6 and those engines didn't exactly light the world on fire with their "excitement and torque". Even my VW fanbois friends acknowledge that they will have to do more maintenance than normal to keep their VWs running. I will trade reliability and 95% of the driving dynamics for super high euro ego emissions (had to throw that ironic VW ad campaign in) and soft touch interiors. Also, the Honda transmission problems are limited to 2 years of Accord slush boxes and what self respecting auto "enthusiast" drives an automatic anyway?
fruit.gif
stirthepot.gif

Jon

Quote:

I will trade reliability and 95% of the driving dynamics for super high euro ego emissions (had to throw that ironic VW ad campaign in)

Driving dynamics = ego? No, driving dynamics means fun to drive and entertainment. People don't buy VW's for badge whoring; they buy MBs. As for you trading reliability for fun to drive, that is your choice and I'm happy for you that you own a Honda. Me, I wouldn't trade my one extra dealership visit per year (which is what I have averaged for problem visits over a car that had zero problems) for day-to-day boredom. But that's just me. And isn't it great that the marketplace offers variety for both of us?

Why is that it that 90% of Honda/Toyota guys that I come across think the rest of the world need to have the same preferences as they do?

I love my VW.
my 8v is really fun
2.25 straight pipe exhaust,K&N intake , Autotech Short shifter, Autotech front engine mount, TT 260 camshaft, GIAC chip, Underdrive crank pulley, Hawk HPS, drilled/slotted rotors.
Real reliable motor. I beat the living snot out of it on a daily basis.
3rd generation 8v (engine code ABA) = *THE BEST* water cooled motor VW has EVER made and i am proud to drive it.
To bad VW no longer stays true to there roots.
I will not buy a VW after model year 99 1/2

My wife is in her late 40's. Hasn't driven a std since HS (a few times at that). Wonders why I won't let our (my) second car be an automatic. I keep trying to explain it to her. Automatics will mundaneify your driving life. A lot of you out there that have never owned a std need to have a mid-life crises and get you a quick small one - it's one of life's treats. I have a quick '88 Mazda 323 w/ over 200k - I bet I'm having more fun than the Lexus SUV guy next to me.

If I had $$ - I'd be in a Mazdaspeed 3, or a Subaru STi, and I've been wanting a Beetle since the new ones came out. (STD ONLY!! - or it wouldn't make any sense.)

I imagine my '03 Civic Si is closer to the driving dynamics of your VW than you think and probably better unless you own a GLI or GTI. I also have the advantage of being much lighter (2744lbs curb weight) unless you own an A1 or A2 Jetta/Golf. You say that people don't buy VWs for Euro ego, but that goes against everything I have every seen from the majority of VW owners including the stories I hear from two friends who are service writers at VW dealerships that also carry other brands. Sure some are different, but the majority think they are special or better than Honda and Toyota owners because they own a European car (albeit one that is generally made in Mexico). Add this to the fact that VW as a brand is less reliable than Hyundai and Kia and I don't see any reason to buy one unless you like pretty soft touch interiors or want an economy diesel.

Jon

I owned an '05 Subaru WRX STi, they are quite a bit of fun but not really practical as daily drivers and modifying them is way too addictive. I would really like to get an extended test drive in a Speed3 to see if I could get over it having all that power going through the front wheels.

Jon

Quote:

I imagine my '03 Civic Si is closer to the driving dynamics of your VW than you think and probably better unless you own a GLI or GTI. I also have the advantage of being much lighter (2744lbs curb weight) unless you own an A1 or A2 Jetta/Golf. You say that people don't buy VWs for Euro ego, but that goes against everything I have every seen from the majority of VW owners including the stories I hear from two friends who are service writers at VW dealerships that also carry other brands. Sure some are different, but the majority think they are special or better than Honda and Toyota owners because they own a European car (albeit one that is generally made in Mexico). Add this to the fact that VW as a brand is less reliable than Hyundai and Kia and I don't see any reason to buy one unless you like pretty soft touch interiors or want an economy diesel.

Jon

1. Please compare apples to apples. Tell you what, why don't you not compare a civic SI to a Passat and I won't compare a GTI to an Accord. And yeah, for driving dynamics I'd take GTI over a civic SI and a Passat over an Accord. And I think CR (who you appear to be fond of) would agree with me.

2. It's funny that you mention ego. Because when I was shopping for a minivan, I frequented Ody Forum, a site for Odyssey owners. Chrisst that place is a mess. A bunch of forty somethings with families talkin about the superiority of Odysseys to all other vehicles in terms of "driving dynamics" and "handling." Sound familiar? I've always heard Honda enthusiasts were fanatical and basically second rate BMW clones. I got a taste of that at a minivan forum!
I'd hate to see what the S2000 and ricer boy, fat spoiler sites are like and I'm not going to find out.

3. We already know that you don't see any reason to buy a VW. Your last four or five posts made that clear. We get it.

Quote:

1. Please compare apples to apples. Tell you what, why don't you not compare a civic SI to a Passat and I won't compare a GTI to an Accord. And yeah, for driving dynamics I'd take GTI over a civic SI and a Passat over an Accord. And I think CR (who you appear to be fond of) would agree with me.

2. It's funny that you mention ego. Because when I was shopping for a minivan, I frequented Ody Forum, a site for Odyssey owners. Chrisst that place is a mess. A bunch of forty somethings with families talkin about the superiority of Odysseys to all other vehicles in terms of "driving dynamics" and "handling." Sound familiar? I've always heard Honda enthusiasts were fanatical and basically second rate BMW clones. I got a taste of that at a minivan forum!
I'd hate to see what the S2000 and ricer boy, fat spoiler sites are like and I'm not going to find out.

3. We already know that you don't see any reason to buy a VW. Your last four or five posts made that clear. We get it.

1.) Comparing Apples to Apples:
Unfortunately, by assuming what CR believes you are just plain wrong. Consumer Reports ranks the Honda Accord as their top family sedan whereas the Passat isn't even recommended and has a predicted reliability rating of poor which is the worst possible rating. Car and Driver also has picked the Honda Accord as a top 10 car more than 5 times while the Passat has never been picked. Their criteria includes a strong emphasis on driving dynamics. I would go with the auto experts and choose the Accord over the Passat.

2.) You bring up minivan owners (a very small percentage of Honda owners) as your example of ego when what they are saying is true and has been echoed by every magazine that tests the Oddity compared to the other minivans. I present you with the thousands of Volkswagen customers my two service advisor friends have dealt with....hmmm....which has more credibility? Also, you resort to name calling about S2000 and ricer boy fat spoiler sites which I find quite hilarious because it is an example of the immature and childish posts you see on "those sites" and also shows your euro snob attitude about Japanese cars and their owners. If anything VW owners have the same fanaticism about their brands driving dynamics compared to BMW when the vehicles I have driven from VW don't even come close (including the R32). I can say this from personal experience, my family has owned Volkswagens, BMWs, and Hondas. Can you say the same?

3.) You are right I would never buy a VW, there are better cars for the money in every way possible. Your "logic" has no factual basis, it is merely an opinion of which you can provide no evidence to support. We know you can't come up with any facts to support your argument, we get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back