Oil for Mercedes Slk 230 Kompressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
MB229.5 is an international spec, and Mercedes is very good about listing most of the oils around the world that meet it. If you search their list has been posted around the internet for years.

No need to over think it, the engineers at MB did it for you.

Hi,
hattaresguy - as you say

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
MB229.5 is an international spec, and Mercedes is very good about listing most of the oils around the world that meet it. If you search their list has been posted around the internet for years.

No need to over think it, the engineers at MB did it for you.

MB have had published lubricant standards and "Approved Lists" for at least the last six decades!

As an ex Engineering employee (Heavy Trucks) and having worked closely with them in Denmark as electronic fuel injection was being developed, I can attest to their importance. I can assure you too that when working for Caltex-Chevron in Copenhagen in the 1960s that their standards and those of CAT had much more credibility than anything from the API - or from anywhere else

ACEA was of course just a remote dream then!

I found something about shell helix ultra 0W30, but 0W30 mobil 1 new life anything, it seems that 0W30 mobil 1 is only "afe", which does not play the 229.5 mb. Mobil 1 new life is only 0w40.

Last edited:
You have to remember Mercedes is a global brand that sells in every country on the planet. So a lot of oils on their might only be available in say South Africa or China.

But 229.5 applies everywhere, even in countries with some [censored] poor local oil.

In the US Mobil 1 0w40 is just the most available so by default everyone just says to use it.

Since your in Italy why not use Agip?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Giorgiz
I found something about shell helix ultra 0W30, but 0W30 mobil 1 new life anything, it seems that 0W30 mobil 1 is only "afe", which does not play the 229.5 mb. Mobil 1 new life is only 0w40.

It may be the oil that this oil replaced:

http://www.mobil1.co.uk/synthetic-engine-oils/bmw-approved-esp-0w-30.aspx

Or it is a new oil that we haven't seen yet, but has already been approved by MB.

Originally Posted By: Giorgiz
esp formula is low saps oil for dpf, new life is another thing.

Correct, but my question is whether the ESP replaced the New Life oil for 0w-30 or if the New Life 0w-30 is a new oil we just aren't seeing yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back