Still confused on oil for VW V6 engine

Okay, I swear I have read every thread on this subject and I’m still confused. So please break it down for me: which oil should I put in my 2018 VW Atlas V6 with 120k mi? I live in the southern US if that matters.

My manual and sticker has that confusing “use 502 0w30… but 504 is okay” wording. I keep reading some people saying with conviction that I should use the 502 because this engine will dilute the oil? But VW has transitioned newer Atlases exclusively to 504.

So what’s the verdict? 502 or 504? And do I need to stick to 0w30 or can I go 5w30?

If it says, 502.00 I would think ANY 502.00 would work. How about a 5W-40? I know there are/were some 0W-30 and 0W-40 that also meet the spec. I have used all 3 in my 01 S4.

VW intends for it to use VW 504 in 0w30. As clever as VW is they have not been able to put anything but confusing oil specs in their manuals for years.

There are also 5w30s in VW 504, it’s the 504 part that counts. That engine will also be fine on VW 502 which it was specd for many years. Most of those will be 5w40s.

2018 Atlas 3.6 VR6. Any 502 or 504. Don't get hung up on the sticker and the contradictory info in the manual...approval matters. I run 502 5W40 in mine....Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech. Use whatever Euro oil/approval (502 or 504) you like...0W40...5W40..0W30..5W30..

Okay, I swear I have read every thread on this subject and I’m still confused. So please break it down for me: which oil should I put in my 2018 VW Atlas V6 with 120k mi? I live in the southern US if that matters.

My manual and sticker has that confusing “use 502 0w30… but 504 is okay” wording. I keep reading some people saying with conviction that I should use the 502 because this engine will dilute the oil? But VW has transitioned newer Atlases exclusively to 504.

So what’s the verdict? 502 or 504? And do I need to stick to 0w30 or can I go 5w30?
Grade is irrelevant with the minimum HT/HS requirement of both 502 00 and 504 00 approvals.

And has already been stated, either approval is fine.

2018 Atlas 3.6 VR6. Any 502 or 504. Don't get hung up on the sticker and the contradictory info in the manual...approval matters. I run 502 5W40 in mine....Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech. Use whatever Euro oil/approval (502 or 504) you like...0W40...5W40..0W30..5W30..
Out of curiosity, why did you opt for the Liqui Moly instead of Mobil 1 or similar?

With the switch to ultra low sulfur gasoline around the US you can use either 502/505 or 504/507 oils.
So did the switch occur? I've read conflicting statements with some people saying that the switch to low-sulfur has been delayed. As is the case with everything else, my Google results have been confusing...

Out of curiosity, why did you opt for the Liqui Moly instead of Mobil 1 or similar?
B/c I get it for free (less return shipping) from FCP Euro. Ends up being the cheapest solution for me for an approved oil. They have both 502 and 504 oils depending on what you want. A kit is about $75 so M1 setup from Wallyworld is the cheaper option if you don't get into the free lifetime replacement cycle through FCP.

So did the switch occur? I've read conflicting statements with some people saying that the switch to low-sulfur has been delayed. As is the case with everything else, my Google results have been confusing...
Where? Here in the US? The 504 00 product is fine.

There is nothing confusing. Either approval is fine, as would be an oil with a similar approval such as BMW Longlife-04. I use Pennzoil Platinum Euro L in my Tiguan.

Where? Here in the US? The 504 00 product is fine.
Yes, I've read that the switch to low-sulfur gasoline has not occurred as quickly as designed, with refiners being able to purchase credits and the like. All of my Google searches seem to point towards low-sulfur diesel, which obviously is not relevant here...

Back