Oil filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I just got my new corolla and right now it has a little over 8k on the clock. The sticker on the window says next oil change due at 13 but I wanted to change over to 10 so that everything is in alignment with Toyota 5.000 mile inspections.

Anyways. I researched all my available filter options. and all of them are cellulose except the napa gold and premium. The gold is a glass/ cellulose blend. So I decided that would be a good choice. Also knowing that it was made by WIX so it should be an excellent filter. Picked it up today. Ends are epoxied together but not all the way to the ends of the pleats like what is pictured.

This is what I got
IMG_02611.jpg
And this is what is pictured
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=FIL7064_0274113959

Is it going to mater that the epoxy end caps dont go all the way to the end? What keeps oil from going between the folds of the pleats on the end of the filter?

Thanks
Sean

If you are concerned about oil filter quality or capacity just buy one from the OEM. Don't pay any attention to advertising as they always quote final filtration performance figures and a filter has to be near full to get that type of figure. It would be far more interesting if they posted initial filtration figures, but they don't.
I never use non OEM oil filters unless some folks can prove from long term studies that they are reliable and that their performance in particle count used oil analysis is good. Often an OEM filter is only a few dollars more anyway.

Originally Posted By: DARKSCOPE001
Is it going to mater that the epoxy end caps dont go all the way to the end?

No it is not going to matter. Use with confidence.

The OEM filter is superior to what you mentioned and retains your warranty. If the dealer sees another filter on your car he can flag your VIN to void your warranty for oil related failures. Why pay more for less and void a warranty that may be worth thousands potentially?

Originally Posted By: DARKSCOPE001
Hello everyone. I just got my new corolla and right now it has a little over 8k on the clock. The sticker on the window says next oil change due at 13 but I wanted to change over to 10 so that everything is in alignment with Toyota 5.000 mile inspections.

Anyways. I researched all my available filter options. and all of them are cellulose except the napa gold and premium. The gold is a glass/ cellulose blend. So I decided that would be a good choice. Also knowing that it was made by WIX so it should be an excellent filter. Picked it up today. Ends are epoxied together but not all the way to the ends of the pleats like what is pictured.

This is what I got [img:center]http://s224.photobucket.com/user/DARKSCOPE001/media/IMG_02611.jpg.html[/img] And this is what is pictured
[img:center]http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=FIL7064_0274113959[/img]

Is it going to mater that the epoxy end caps dont go all the way to the end? What keeps oil from going between the folds of the pleats on the end of the filter?

Thanks
Sean

Why not use the Toyota TRD oil filter?

326829_PTR43-52090_PTR43-00079_zps90726d18.gif

No wimp filter, that! Can be sourced here: TRD High Performance Oil Filter

thumbsup2.gif

Ok thanks guys. Im gona pick up an OE filter today I think. Can I still use my choice of oil? or does it have to be Toyota oil? I was going to use Mobil 1 AFE as thats the only 0w-20 weight I can find locally

Thanks
Sean

Using another brand of filter will not void your warranty.

Using another brand of oil will not void your warranty. Mobil 1 is a great choice. Your Wal-Mart may have PP or QSUD in 0w-20 now too.

The older Japanese Toyota filters are great. The ones you get at the dealer now are from Thailand and are average, but not outstanding. PureONE, Wix, Napa Gold, M1, Fram Ultra - all good choices. I used PureONEs in my Toyota with good success.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Using another brand of filter will not void your warranty.

Using another brand of oil will not void your warranty. Mobil 1 is a great choice. Your Wal-Mart may have PP or QSUD in 0w-20 now too.

The older Japanese Toyota filters are great. The ones you get at the dealer now are from Thailand and are average, but not outstanding. PureONE, Wix, Napa Gold, M1, Fram Ultra - all good choices. I used PureONEs in my Toyota with good success.

Oh yea I loved Pure One filters for my other cars. Thats all I used in my elauntra, and my yaris and on my girlfriends malibu. But Purolator doesent make a pure one for my car
frown.gif
Because its the paper insert type filter. The napa gold was the best I could find with a paper celulose blend. Its made in south korea tho. So im not sure where the one in the picture was made but If memory serves me right WIX was a korean company.

Thanks
Sean

P.S. Suggest you buy the oem filter at the dealer,during the warranty period,so you have a record of warranty compliance. Personally,I would let the Dealer change my oil,during the warranty period,to document compliance.

FZ1 thats where stuff gets kinda confusing. I want to change my own oil. So I asked my dealer what I had to do to keep the car under waranty and he said just keep all the receipts. So I was going to staple them to the pages of the maintinance guide.

But I also dont want them to come back and be like "this wasnt done at an approved station" Because then I would have to get on my high horse and argue that A&P licence trumps any jiffylube tech. and probably most of the idiots you see running around at a firestone.

Thanks
Sean Scott

I did oil changes on two different 2010 Corollas with the 1.8. IIRC, the OEM filter is constructed similarly to the Wix/Napa Gold - the epoxy does not go all the way to the ends. I believe the insides of the pleats are glued together instead.

FWIW, I used the OEM, Wix, and Napa Gold filters. OEM at the dealer was cheaper but Wix and NG were more convenient to get. If you're concerned about the epoxy not going all the way to the ends, take a look at the Fram - it's more expensive but it is well constructed.

Using a non-OEM filter is NOT going to void your warranty. If someone tries to tell you it will, tell them to go read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. Just document your oil changes and keep your receipts and you're fine.

Ok Guys my local walmart is now carying 0w-20 in Pennzoil platinum! YEY! ive always been a penzoil man but did some reading that mobil 1 could produce better UOA results in a toyota engine?

Is this true? if not im sticking with pennzoil I have always been a fan of it.

Thanks
Sean Scott

P.s. I think im gona stick with the Napa gold filter for now. Ill look into waranty information a bit more in depth. I probably wont need to change the oil in this bad boy until I get back from vacation next week.

PP 0W-20 is easily as good as M1 0W-20.
WRT oil filters, most OEM Japanese car oil filters are nothing special.
On our Japanese cars that we've bought new, I've used any number of different filters, but never OEM.
It is exceedingly rare for an oil filter to have any effect on lubication performance, and most aftermarket filter have better filtration than do most OEM oil filters.
In short, the chances of your choice of oil or filter having any negative influence on either warranty, engine life or engine wear are about as great as your chances of seeing a unicorn.
Just use an oil filter lisyed as meeting OEM requirements and do the same with the engine oil.
Your Toyota will be fine.

Originally Posted By: 229
The OEM filter is superior to what you mentioned and retains your warranty. If the dealer sees another filter on your car he can flag your VIN to void your warranty for oil related failures. Why pay more for less and void a warranty that may be worth thousands potentially?

This is absolutely against the law and has been for many, many years. You are just perpetrating an old wive's tale, started by some dealership parts department designed to scare people into buying dealership parts only.

I am a big proponent of OEM parts (especially Japanese) being far superior to aftermarket, 99% of the time, but this is one of those times in the 1%

The ends of the filter's pleats are bonded together. My Toyota filters made by Denso are bonded that way. WIX is not a Korean company. WIX is owned by Affinia Group out of Ann Arbor, Michigan. They have facilities world wide.

We do not have to use OEM materials to maintain a warranty as long as we use materials that meet the OEM specs. We know the specs for the oils we need--that info is in the owner's manual. We do not know the specs for the filters. That info is not published. The filter makers reverse engineer the OEM filters, then either build a filter that matches or picks one from their inventory that they feel is close enough. In the very unlikely event of an aftermarket filter failure damaging the engine, the filter maker, not the car maker, is on the hook for the cost of repairs.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
The ends of the filter's pleats are bonded together. My Toyota filters made by Denso are bonded that way. WIX is not a Korean company. WIX is owned by Affinia Group out of Ann Arbor, Michigan. They have facilities world wide.

We do not have to use OEM materials to maintain a warranty as long as we use materials that meet the OEM specs. We know the specs for the oils we need--that info is in the owner's manual. We do not know the specs for the filters. That info is not published. The filter makers reverse engineer the OEM filters, then either build a filter that matches or picks one from their inventory that they feel is close enough. In the very unlikely event of an aftermarket filter failure damaging the engine, the filter maker, not the car maker, is on the hook for the cost of repairs.

^^^ This. If the car manufacturer can prove that the filter caused the failure, then the car manufacturer is off the hook... and by that time they have gathered sufficient evidence that the filter manufacturer is to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back