Oil filter change at 10k miles (every other change) ?

funny thing about this whole thread is most of the answers aretotally opinion based.

I have an idea,,, because even when you change the oil and filter you still leave some of the old dirty oil in the engine, just because you can't remove all of it no matter what, so you are still putting dirty underwear back on. :)

only difference is how dirty the underwear are . :)

only way to know if a filter is clogged is by testing and only way to know if oil is too dirty is by analysis.
And the only way to know what to really do is study and learn get your ASE certifications and keep current on the ever changing information. Where as most people here it’s non evidence based information they share and should always be taken with the largest grain of salt possible.

Sure do appreciate all the input here!!!!
What’s the end result you’re looking for.. Save money, save yourself the physical labor? What’s the vehicle make model, mileage? many variables missing what oil do you plan to use?.

My personal preference is I change filter and oil regardless every 6 months or 5,000 miles. When you put on a pair of socks, do you change both together?

And the only way to know what to really do is study and learn get your ASE certifications and keep current on the ever changing information. Where as most people here it’s non evidence based information they share and should always be taken with the largest grain of salt possible.
I am retired but at one point in my life I held 28 ASE cetrifications.
I had Master status in HD Truck, School Bus, Transit, had about half the Auto certs and one Advanced level cert.
I also had 2 years trade school for diesel as well as having about 60 credit hours in automotive at the local Community College.
Over the 40 years I was involved in the business I also attended OEM classes on a regular basis as well as provided instruction as that was my job the last 15 years. funny thing about ASE is if you keep those certification long enough they send you these cool badges. LOL.

my ASE.jpg

1 business card.JPG

funny thing about this whole thread is most of the answers aretotally opinion based.

I have an idea,,, because even when you change the oil and filter you still leave some of the old dirty oil in the engine, just because you can't remove all of it no matter what, so you are still putting dirty underwear back on. :)

only way to know if a filter is clogged is by testing and only way to know if oil is too dirty is by analysis.
That lame "example" is dredged up over and over again by many, but its totally wrong. Underwear is not a filter. A filter is not underwear. Two entirely different items that serve two entirely different purposes. Underwear is for skin protection. Just like any other clothing it should be changed at the end of the day. Common sense.

Oil filters are designed for filtering. Totally different job. Its meant to be changed when its near capacity. The question about when to change a filter is a question about holding capacity. The Fram line for example has different capacities. If someone wants to throw out a 25,000 mile rated Fram endurance with their 3,000 mile Jiffy Lube oil change, it only hurts them. They can also dump Mobil 1 20K Endurance oil at 3000 miles if that makes them happy too. That, or change their underwear every hour on the hour.

If you've bothered to drain the oil, you might as well change the filter. most filters are 10 bucks or less. I bought a case of premium filters off ebay for three bucks each.

If you bother to get under the car with a pan you might as well change the filter.

If you suck out the oil through a topside changer you aren't even getting under the car to begin with.

That lame "example" is dredged up over and over again by many, but its totally wrong. Underwear is not a filter. A filter is not underwear. Two entirely different items that serve two entirely different purposes. Underwear is for skin protection. Just like any other clothing it should be changed at the end of the day. Common sense.

Oil filters are designed for filtering. Totally different job. Its meant to be changed when its near capacity. The question about when to change a filter is a question about holding capacity. The Fram line for example has different capacities. If someone wants to throw out a 25,000 mile rated Fram endurance with their 3,000 mile Jiffy Lube oil change, it only hurts them. They can also dump Mobil 1 20K Endurance oil at 3000 miles if that makes them happy too. That, or change their underwear every hour on the hour.
The lame unproven zero empirical evidence is always brought up too. No real world data of real car owners showing how well it works. Yet to see a real peer reviewed study of at least a good random sample double blind study. Instead of antidotes of people posting I never had a problem.

The lame unproven zero empirical evidence is always brought up too. No real world data of real car owners showing how well it works. Yet to see a real peer reviewed study of at least a good random sample double blind study. Instead of antidotes of people posting I never had a problem.
Really? Check out tons of cut high milage filters posted here. Visual PROOF is certainly real world data.

Really? Check out tons of cut high milage filters posted here. Visual PROOF is certainly real world data.
Ok since you probably don’t know how to do a scientific study. You have a large sample population N=8000 out of that population you get your random population n=400. Then you randomly select cars to do what the filters say they can do and others do a standard recommended oil change. Having a constant variable and manipulated variable. Then you break down the engines and see what really happened and present the data to be reviewed and then have another study do the same thing to try and disprove the findings of the first one. That’s is how real world data works. I never see anything like that here just anecdotal evidence and that’s not really good to go by all the time. Not when trucks and car payments are as high as a mortgage.

Or, maybe I do. After 40 years of analytical chemistry in a QA/QC Laboratory, I think I might. I can upload and send you my resume if needed.
Seems to me the filters undergo harmonized testing already - I’m just cutting them open to make sure they have not obviously failed - and I should consider an alternative …

Seems to me the filters undergo harmonized testing already - I’m just cutting them open to make sure they have not obviously failed - and I should consider an alternative …
Of course they do. Lots and lots of testing done over the years. Thats where they derive their capacity ratings from. "Scientific studies" are not typically shared with the general public. I don't know why someone would think they don't exist.

Of course they do. Lots and lots of testing done over the years. Thats where they derive their capacity ratings from. "Scientific studies" are not typically shared with the general public. I don't know why someone would think they don't exist.
I never said they don’t exist I said I don’t see them here. There’s a huge difference in that. And yes you can get scientific studies I do all the time.

I always replace my oil filter every other oil change nowadays. In a clean engine the oil filters always looks like new and i don't like the idea of starving the engine for the first few seconds when i'm not able to prefill the oil filter. It works for me because i drive a lot and change the oil every 3 to 4 months, so a filter is never used beyond 6 to 8 months. We have another car that won't drive a lot and i change the oil and filter once a year.

All our Honda cars have always recommended this. Even my wife’s old integra.

For my accord which will go around 14k on an OCI, I change the filter every oil change. For our Odyssey which does around a 5k mile oci, I do it every other.

Ok since you probably don’t know how to do a scientific study. You have a large sample population N=8000 out of that population you get your random population n=400. Then you randomly select cars to do what the filters say they can do and others do a standard recommended oil change. Having a constant variable and manipulated variable. Then you break down the engines and see what really happened and present the data to be reviewed and then have another study do the same thing to try and disprove the findings of the first one. That’s is how real world data works. I never see anything like that here just anecdotal evidence and that’s not really good to go by all the time. Not when trucks and car payments are as high as a mortgage.
N=8000 is a very high powered study. I work in clinical trial studies. We might go out to 1000 subjects for a phase 3 study and that's a pretty big study to show efficacy compared to a placebo. Larger studies with more subjects are more to assess safety than efficacy. The null hypothesis is there is no difference between the study groups and we gather data to disprove that null hypothesis to p
I don't know enough about engines to develop criteria to assess if an engine has more meaningful wear than another engine. More empirically, for our thought experiment, if the control group has its oil and filter changed every 5000 miles and we have a group that changed the oil every 10k miles and the filter every 20k miles and we take both groups out to 250k miles, what differences will we see?

I have access to a lift and compressed air. I would leave the oil drain unplugged for an hour and actually use compressed air wrapped in a clean large bulky cloth and stuff the air hose at the oil fill opening and let the compressed air blow out whatever oil is left stagnant. Makes a big mess though.

I have access to a lift and compressed air. I would leave the oil drain unplugged for an hour and actually use compressed air wrapped in a clean large bulky cloth and stuff the air hose at the oil fill opening and let the compressed air blow out whatever oil is left stagnant. Makes a big mess though.
I drain the oil and pull the filter, have a couple of Modelos and it's time to add oil and filter, eazy peezy. ;)

Back