Oil Filter Change Interval Clarification/Input

Both of our vehicle’s factory maintenance call for 10k oil changes. I’m shortening them both to 5k oil changes. For our one vehicle (Ram 5.7L Hemi), the oil filter is in a horrible location and I would prefer to change it every 10k miles which is still in the factory schedule.

I’m using Purolator Boss filters. Is there any issue with this?

Both of our vehicle’s factory maintenance call for 10k oil changes. I’m shortening them both to 5k oil changes. For our one vehicle (Ram 5.7L Hemi), the oil filter is in a horrible location and I would prefer to change it every 10k miles which is still in the factory schedule.

I’m using Purolator Boss filters. Is there any issue with this?
Good Plan, if Purolator is your #1 choice in oil filters.
The Purolator Boss Maximum filters of today are trapping much better than the older formulation. The Purolator One Advanced would be another good option.

If you want to save money, rockauto.com caries the Champ XL oil filters and that's what I use. I purchased four filters from rockauto the last time, along with good buys there on windshield wiper blades.

I used the old Boss formulation prior to the Champs. Then I found out the Hyundai's and Kia's could have a higher trapping filter, ever since around 2015/2016 production year. I used to buy my Purolators on sale at Menards and now the Boss carries better trapping percentages. So buy whichever works best for you and run them 10k, allowed by the vehicle manufacturer.

I wouldn't hesitate to go 10k over 2 OCIs with a Purolator BOSS. They have a very good holding capacity.

Boss is perfectly fine, I think some are rated for 15k but others are 20k miles. I'm currently using it on one of my Civic's with no issues, some manufacturers even call for a filter change at every other change. There are other filters such as Fram Endurance that are rated for 20-25k miles.

Over the years I have used more Purolator's than anything else, mostly the PureOne.

Last edited:
You will be absolutely fine running the oil filter for two oil changes, especially for only 10k miles. That is, as long as you are using a quality, premium oil filter. Some of the top shelf premium oil filters can easily go twice that between filter changes, such as the M1 Extended Performance, Purolator Boss, Fram Ultra, Titanium, or Endurance. These are all rated for at least 20k miles.

As @SubieRubyRoo mentioned, Honda actually recommends running an oil filter for two oil changes. And with a little search effort here on BITOG, you will find a number of discussions on this subject, with links to studies that show the practice is sound.

I have a Ram and know what you are talking about. I used to try to direct the oil to the pan, tried a cup over the filter etc. Now I just dump it, let it make the mess all over the rack then spray it off with brake cleaner. To me - I just deal with it and will always replace the filter at every change.

If you read the owners manual it may say 10K for regular operating conditions. However, I bet 75% of us fall into the “severe service” category for at least 6 moths out of a year.
Oil is cheap, engines are not.
100%

This guy has some really good videos. UOA’s will never tell how caked up piston oil rings get.

100%

This guy has some really good videos. UOA’s will never tell how caked up piston oil rings get.

Everyone is using low tension rings these days and it seems to compound the the problem along with extended OCI.
I’ve never done a UOA, I just change the oil under the severe maintenance schedule (because thats my driving habits) and I’ve never had a problem……even with all the turbo cars I have owned.

Everyone is using low tension rings these days and it seems to compound the the problem along with extended OCI.
I’ve never done a UOA, I just change the oil under the severe maintenance schedule (because thats my driving habits) and I’ve never had a problem……even with all the turbo cars I have owned.

I’ve done a few UOA’s, but stopped as it’s pointless to my needs. I’m religious about every 5k miles. I do my own changes, oil is cheap as you mentioned.

You will be absolutely fine running the oil filter for two oil changes, especially for only 10k miles. That is, as long as you are using a quality, premium oil filter. Some of the top shelf premium oil filters can easily go twice that between filter changes, such as the M1 Extended Performance, Purolator Boss, Fram Ultra, Titanium, or Endurance. These are all rated for at least 20k miles.

As @SubieRubyRoo mentioned, Honda actually recommends running an oil filter for two oil changes. And with a little search effort here on BITOG, you will find a number of discussions on this subject, with links to studies that show the practice is sound.
+1 on what BHopkins stated above , if the vehicle is maintained well - then running a 20K rated oil filter for two 5,000 mile OCI’s would be fine . Pick a good D1/Gen 3 rated synthetic oil (M1 , Pennzoil , Quaker State , Valvoline , etc.) and you are good to go !

If you read the owners manual it may say 10K for regular operating conditions. However, I bet 75% of us fall into the “severe service” category for at least 6 moths out of a year.
Oil is cheap, engines are not.
My '24 Sequoia manual makes no mention of that. Specifically calls out dirt or dusty roads only. There is no severe driving category.

If you don't want to keep track of mileage, get a scanner and change the percentage from 100 to 50. You can then wait for the oil change light. That is my way as 5k never comes at same time. Since I am now out of warranty I will set mine at 60 and not worry about yearly changes. Since new I have been doing yearly which sometimes come at 4k and other times 6k so I figured 60% is safe. I do 60% country roads and 40% city driving.

Wow! I just watched a few vids on changing the oil filter for a Ram HEMI. That placement certainly calls for an Oil Udder...or it may be worth just taking it to a local shop for the filter change; especially if you only change the filter every 10k. Let them clean it up!

Back to the question...5k oil and 10k filter change will work well with the Boss. Even lower tier filters would be fine, as would the Mopar filter.

If you don't want to keep track of mileage, get a scanner and change the percentage from 100 to 50. You can then wait for the oil change light. That is my way as 5k never comes at same time. Since I am now out of warranty I will set mine at 60 and not worry about yearly changes. Since new I have been doing yearly which sometimes come at 4k and other times 6k so I figured 60% is safe. I do 60% country roads and 40% city driving.
Sorry this was for the GM products I take care of. My Caravan only let's you reset. I just checked Caravan and I put less than 1500 miles in 7 months.

Back