2015 Ford Edge EcoBoost 2.0 - Does kirkland oil meet the spec?

I guess you never really look into oil like you do when the car is under warranty... smh. So long story short, we have the ESP care/warranty on her Edge still and the long block engine was also replaced under the SB for the headgasket last month.

So with that being said, Im thinking about just getting the Kirkland Signature 5W-30 Full Synthetic oil as the price is crazy cheap for (2) 5qt jugs. I'll just change it out at around 5-6000mi intervals. I know the engine is a fuel diluter, so that why Im thinking at just getting "oil" and changing it out around 5-6k OCI's... Thoughts?

Here is what is spec'd for the car: https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ingEnabled=False&userMarket=USA&buildtype=web

use without losing sleep. Meets new GM specs which are way higher standards than Ford.
Thanks but does it meet the manuals spec? I dont see anything listed on the website to show its specs. I think all Im looking for is SN rated? What about if it says SN plus, in that case it does not meet the manuals spec, right? SN does not equal SN plus, correct?

Ford has weird ways of specing oil. It will diffently meet the spec. Not sure what to do do prove it.
Not looking for you to prove it but hoping maybe someone has a bottle on hand that can shoot a picture to show the specs, I guess?

Ford's 946 spec is just a round-about way of calling for API SN; just go down the page a bit and you'll see where they call out "SN".

Any current Kirkland 5w-30 syn will be API SP / ILSAC GF-6A.

So yes; it meets Ford's spec for that engine and will be fine.
So when i check your first link, the image of the back of the bottle shows SN+. That isnt SN as stated in the manual right? I get the engine will be fine, but that bean counters are the warranty ceneter may deny it...

And now look to use SP oil which superseded SN+ oil. I have a 2017 Explorer with the 2.3 EB that originally spec's SN and now is happily using SP because it's a better oil overall.
So that’s my question. What’s the right thing in Ford’s eyes when oil gets superseded? I guess follow APIs changes as the older certs that drop out and get updated?

So that’s my question. What’s the right thing in Ford’s eyes when oil gets superseded? I guess follow APIs changes as the older certs that drop out and get updated?
Correct u/mondo...... think I spelled it proper.

Currently it's SP. Just prior was SN Plus. Prior to that was SN.
If you're into Dexos 1, current is Gen 3 and prior was Gen 2.
The Euro oils have gone thru spec advancements also. Others here can keep you more current on those changes.

Back