Oil advice - BMW 550i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
I don't see this oil on BMW or Mercedes approval lists.

That's because it doesn't carry official MFG approvals. It only meets their requirements according to Mag.

I'm sure it'll work fine though.

Some of the oil mfr's specs (oxidative thickening, piston deposits, sludge, wear, etc. are exceptionally demanding. Call me a cynic, but I want formal mfr approval to trust that the product meets them. And it's not like there's that much saving over M1 or GC on sale. Let alone ones like Amsoil that charge a significant premium.

Originally Posted By: smithsonga
Thread revival.

I just order the MAG1 5w-40 from amazon. Subscribe and Save comes to $55 for 2 cases delivered...or $4.60/qt.

To clarify, the 2007 550i has a oil filter beneath car and it does have a dipstick.

my 2011 335i, everything is up top.

My 550i is over 100k miles and I plan on changing every 7500miles.
My 335i is only 15k miles, but I plan on changing it every 7500...DIY plus Dealer half n half.

I think there is an Oil Dipstick on some N62 engines (Early ones, not sure if the 2007 have them), at least according to some owners in BMW forums.
20pyogy.png

Last edited:
Some of the oil mfr's specs (oxidative thickening, piston deposits, sludge, wear, etc. are exceptionally demanding. Call me a cynic, but I want formal mfr approval to trust that the product meets them. And it's not like there's that much saving over M1 or GC on sale. Let alone ones like Amsoil that charge a significant premium.

550i is out of warranty anyway, so you do not need "official" bmw oil. Nobody stops you from running the two and compare uoa with TBN, to see if saving worth it.
Lot of guys run Redline which doesn't even carry API and don't sweat.
Secondly for example for me it is hard to catch 40 weight M1 or Castrol on sale here, so mag1 with free delivery rulez in this case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MBS500

550i is out of warranty anyway, so you do not need "official" bmw oil. Nobody stops you from running the two and compare uoa with TBN, to see if saving worth it.
Lot of guys run Redline which doesn't even carry API and don't sweat.
Secondly for example for me it is hard to catch 40 weight M1 or Castrol on sale here, so mag1 with free delivery rulez in this case.

But if it fails to hold up, you are the one left holding the bag. So skimping a few bucks on an oil that isn't tested and approved for your application is gamble. If you think saving a few bucks an oil change is worth the risk, then go right ahead. But I wouldn't necessarily advocate others follow your lead here, as I think vinu_neuro has made a good point.

Originally Posted By: smithsonga
Finally got a set of Rhino Ramps and have the option of a DIY oil change.

100k mile 2007 550i. Dealer oil changes until the most recent which was a great Indy shop that used Synpower. I actually do not know the specific Synpower used but the owner/head mechanic is an ex-BMW master tech.

The Indy offers a very reasonable rate to attempt to get repeat business and business beyond just oil changes. $69 oil changes.

Thus a DIY change will be similar in price, but offer me oil flexibility.

Valvoline website states Synpower HST 5W30/40 meets LL-01 standards...and MST 5W-40 meets LL-04 standard. I need LL-01 but HST seems difficult to find vs. MST. I found 5W40 MST for $50/case, but again, that is LL-04. The Valvoline website actually recommends Maxlife Synthetic due to my miles...and if I put in lower miles, it just states Synpower..not a specific HST/MST etc.

I could get the BMW oil...but that is more $$$

I have M1 0w-40 available locally and have used it for top offs, but it is quite expensive.

Comments? Ideas on the lower cost sources of these oils? Look for sales at Autozone, AAP etc?

thx

Bmw Oil is Cheep... it goes for 4.85 a QT here in Houston at the local Momentum Dealer. stick with LL01 approved oil take advantage of oil change Special's insted of the filter for your car get it for ur other one maybe.but for the most part wally world will always be ur best bet they stock it all year around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back