OEM Toyota Filter=Fram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A place selling the YZZB5 claims they're the same:
quote:

The -20004 filter sells for $9.60 each. The -YZZB5 is the STAR program equivalent of the -20004, and has all the features of the -20004. Because we purchase the -YZZB5 in large quantities, we sell the -YZZB5 for $3.95 each, when purchased by the case

You'r right about the YZZB5 being available as a lower cost filter to dealers. I question their claim, though, as your description of both filters certainly makes the 20004 sound better than the YZZB5.

Isn't the bypass valve an important feature to have? I thought most quality filters had a bypass valve.

kreativ, not all oil filters need a bypass valve. For instance, the oil filters for most (if not all) GM
cars don't have bypass valves, since the bypass is built right into the bottom of the engine
block. I'd much rather have that setup, as it's less likely to stick open or closed.

quote:

Originally posted by kreativ:
A place selling the YZZB5 claims they're the same:
quote:

The -20004 filter sells for $9.60 each. The -YZZB5 is the STAR program equivalent of the -20004, and has all the features of the -20004. Because we purchase the -YZZB5 in large quantities, we sell the -YZZB5 for $3.95 each, when purchased by the case

You'r right about the YZZB5 being available as a lower cost filter to dealers. I question their claim, though, as your description of both filters certainly makes the 20004 sound better than the YZZB5.

Isn't the bypass valve an important feature to have? I thought most quality filters had a bypass valve.

I've got the -20004 and -YZZB5 filters on my workbench. The -YZZB5 has been cut open. They are similar, not the same. The -YZZB5 does not have an internal bypass valve and the -20004 does. The -20004 filter is the one on the engine from the factory and the filter the dealer instals after major engine work.

Ken

Patman - thanks for the info. Not sure if Toyota engines have that built-in bypass valve like the GMs do.

Ken - How big of a deal is a bypass valve in the oil filter for your Toyota V8 engine? Seems strange if Toyota decided to leave out an important feature on one of their certified products.

quote:

Originally posted by kreativ:
Patman - thanks for the info. Not sure if Toyota engines have that built-in bypass valve like the GMs do.

Ken - How big of a deal is a bypass valve in the oil filter for your Toyota V8 engine? Seems strange if Toyota decided to leave out an important feature on one of their certified products.

I don't know, and I don't know how to find out.
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back