OCI and oil for new (to me) driving style

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm willing to pay a reasonable price, but not that. I could get a complete engine delivered to my door for less than that.

@49.3k(2.2k on oil) added the other half qt.
Seems to have lost some mileage over last 2 weeks. Down to 18.2 and 18.6 mpg last week.

I had someone willing to sell me a NOS lens, but still no inside half.
frown.gif

Now back up to 19.? mpg after adding rest of qt. Only had an inch of snow thus far into winter. (knocking furiously on wood)

@49.8k added 2nd qt. (2.7k on oil)
After the first 2k on oil, it always seems to use it faster. Was also rather hard on car this week. It needs it once in a while.
wink.gif

I've bought the NOS tail light lens at a good price, now just needing the inside half. All in due time I guess...

Now @ 50.1k(3k on oil)

Had first real snow, but it shouldn't last long. Will be changing the oil the next good weekend I get. I'll be keeping the OCI's shorter in winter since I need to idle the car much more in winter for warmup and to have some heat during lunch. Idling about 10-15 minutes during lunch and about 5 minutes before driving. After this change, it'll be back to 40w.

Changed it today instead since a friend came down and wanted to learn about changing oil. Used the same oil as last fill: MS5k, but this time with a STP (ecore) filter. Figure I'll try one just to see how it performs on an engine with known wear numbers.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
UOA?

Coming soon. The price was decent when I'd bought the oil, so I'd grabbed 2 jugs. I'll use the exact same top-off oil as well. Temps and other conditions will all be the same. Only filter age and type will be different.
Changing oil on this car is easy since you don't even need to jack the car up. I'll do a lube in Spring.

Had some downtime and on a whim decided to lurk here for an hour or so. This is the most interesting thread I've ever seen on this board. I'm adding it to my watched topics.

Back in the '60's and '70's my cars punked out before 100K.

Originally Posted By: Alamogunr
Had some downtime and on a whim decided to lurk here for an hour or so. This is the most interesting thread I've ever seen on this board. I'm adding it to my watched topics.

Back in the '60's and '70's my cars punked out before 100K.

Thanks. Besides being handy since I already owned it, a car of this era was my best choice for the job at hand.
At the start, I was unemployed and starting a new job where I couldn't miss any time for 3 months. The job also has no paid sick/personal time, so missing a day just cuts my income. I couldn't(and still can't) reasonably afford high repair bills and time off that a new car would have. This vehicle presented my best chance of success and lowest potential costs because I can fix it, even on the roadside if needed.
Of note: my car was voted "Least Likely to be stolen" at work. It was also pointed out that if someone did steal it, it would likely get returned next day with apology note. It was also said that people opening cars looking for loose change would probably leave $ in my car. That would be awesome!

@52.4k added 2nd qt.

This 2nd run of MS5k seems to be going a bit faster.
Had close call with almost losing the door Friday night. From all the wind and vibration, the pass fr door striker bolt unscrewed from the car. Was able to stop and re-install it before any damage occured with my "work" tool kit. That was scary.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
@52.4k added 2nd qt.

This 2nd run of MS5k seems to be going a bit faster.
Had close call with almost losing the door Friday night. From all the wind and vibration, the pass fr door striker bolt unscrewed from the car. Was able to stop and re-install it before any damage occured with my "work" tool kit. That was scary.

I thought only old Dodge`s fell apart like that?
grin.gif

Last edited:
I strongly believe that the plow-truck hitting that door 2 years ago led to this incident.

Nope. Chevrolets did that, just like the song.:p
"Oh...dust and smoke, the heater's broke"
"The door just flew away."
"Light a match to see the dash and then I start to freeze."
"The frame is bent, the muffler went"
"But the radio, it's ok."
"Oh what fun it is to drive this rusty Chevrolet." :p

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
I strongly believe that the plow-truck hitting that door 2 years ago led to this incident.

Nope. Chevrolets did that, just like the song.:p
"Oh...dust and smoke, the heater's broke"
"The door just flew away."
"Light a match to see the dash and then I start to freeze."
"The frame is bent, the muffler went"
"But the radio, it's ok."
"Oh what fun it is to drive this rusty Chevrolet." :p

Oh man I havent heard that in years!! Blast from the past!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back