OCI and oil for new (to me) driving style

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like I'll only need one tire and a muffler for Caddy's annual inspections.
Replaced a burnt-out headlight in the '63 and added a qt of oil. So far, the Chrysler is doing just fine whenever I need it.

Now at 120.6k on Caddy- replaced the worn tire and the battery. The battery failed today, so I grabbed a VC at Autozone.

Now @121k, replaced the muffler and checked the engine oil. After 1100 miles, not even down 1/4 qt so far. This SAE30 has exceeded my expectations so far. I'll be running it another 4k or so. All the multigrade 30's I've tried would have been down at least a half quart by now.

Now @ 121.2k, checked everything needed for state inspections:
New gas cap in box for testing- check
all 4 tires- good enough
brakes- front about half, rear about 3/4
everything else- fine
smile.gif

All I need now is the time.
frown.gif

Caddy passed its' inspections and is ready for another winter. The '63 will run as backup and I've pulled the carb from the '72 Plymouth to start rebuilding it.

Now @ 1600 miles on Caddy's oil, added 1 qt. It'll just be the '88 Caddy and '63 Chrysler for the winter. The others have been "mothballed" for now.

Carb is now cleaned, sandblasted, rebuilt, and setup on the Plymouth. Fuel tank has been draind and cleaned out. All that remains to do is setup the steering properly. Not much power felt in this one, but it does drive nice.
smile.gif

Caddy is still chugging along @122.2k (2.4k on HD30). Might need a 2nd qt added around 3k. Will likely need new brakes all around + front hoses for next year.
The '63 Chrysler is doing well @ 1.1k so far this year. Been using it once a week, even in the cold. It has better heat than the Caddy and actually feels better for my back on "sore days".

Now @ 2.7k on oil, added 2nd qt to the Caddy. Pass-front door is no longer operable as latch mechanism is jammed from car being hit in parking lot at work.
frown.gif
Alternator is also no longer self-starting except on cold starts. After engine is running, you must hit the gas once to start the charging system. Otherwise, it's fine.
Picked up the brake pads, shoes, and hoses for just under $20 total using Rockauto's closeout items.
smile.gif
Was also given a free PureOne filter for it as well.

Now @ 123k or 3.2k on Caddy's oil, replaced oil psi switch that developed a leak. About 1/2 qt low, but won't add any until needed.
Also replaced bad ignition module in the '72 Plymouth on one of the rare good days this time of year.
smile.gif

Took a long highway trip to Allentown and back today and burned off another 1/2 qt in the Caddy, so now added a 3rd qt @ 3.4k this OCI.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
Took a long highway trip to Allentown and back today and burned off another 1/2 qt in the Caddy, so now added a 3rd qt @ 3.4k this OCI.

You were not far from me!

I loved this thread...I guess now that he has a much newer car and does less commuting, its kinda over...

Definetly goes into the BITOG hall of fame for threads, in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back