OCI and oil for new (to me) driving style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
You're going to stat using a 33-year old vehicle for a 90+ mile commute every day??? Wow, you're brave - you must have faith in that vehicle!

FWIW, I drove my '66 (in sig) every day up until about 2009, when I started using the '99 Jeep I eventually gave to my daughter. These cars did fine for daily use when they were new, maintain 'em like new and they still will do it. Oh, and we took the '66 on a family vacation across the country back a few years before that, also. As for OCI- I used to do 6-9K OCI's with all highway driving. The carb won't (or shouldnt!) dilute fuel in highway driving with a nice long heat soak on the oil. Its just short trips with a lot of auto choke applied that really dilutes oil with carbs, OR an improperly tuned carb.

I've returned from my test-drive of the Dodge. I took it to work and back or about 2 hours/90+ miles. It used over 1/4 tank of gas and handled Ok, but the seats are terrible. This has to be the most uncomfortable car ever to sit in. If I drove this every day, I'd be on the disabled list in no time. it might take hours to recover from that drive.
tired.gif

Acceleration is very good compared to my usual fare and I like the instrument layout. Ride is much better than the Granada was. However, at least it was more comfortable. These seats are like rocks.
37.gif

Backing this one into parking spaces is not easy at all. Controls were not real hard to figure out, except for the hi-beams. That one took the whole drive to get. I'm better off selling it and putting the $ into the ones I have already.
frown.gif

Sucks bout the test drive and yeah you could sell it is right. I never cared for the interior of those Avengers at all, still dont.

It took nearly 4 hours of rest, beer, and Aleve to somewhat recover from that drive. That one's going to ebay as soon as title comes in. I've been to the future and the future bites. I'm sticking with cars built for someone who worked for a living to drive.

In two weeks I'll be bringing this home:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-Chrysler-Newport-4-Dr-V-8-361-Dodge-Plymouth-Desoto-Imperial-Torqueflite-/150995515461?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_500wt_942

I've had one before and will be just fine with it. I'll just have to get my drum puller out of retirement.

Last edited:
Well least you havent been dragged thru the gates of haides for lack of a better word, when my brother "asked me" to help him pull the transaxle and engine from a 75 eldorado! Could have killed him. This was in my heavy drinking days, only thing made it easier was a keg of BUD ICE, and all the tools we needed. Call me if you need a drum puller for it if it isnt one ya need as my dad gave me 2 of these. Future bites eh?! I believe ya, glad I am gettin the 78' Cad De Ville from brother.

adam

Originally Posted By: shell_user
...Call me if you need a drum puller for it if it isnt one ya need as my dad gave me 2 of these.
adam

I still have the same puller from my "64 newport that I sold in early '11. I only sold that car because I was out of work and needed the $ more than I needed a car that I hadn't been using. That's when I started using the Granada.
I never had one of those front-drive Caddys from back then. I did always kind of want one of those bustle-back Sevilles though.

So have you had the 77' Riv out lately? I take it this "test drive to the future" didnt help out your elbow/arm eh? You drove that hunk of garbage 90 miles!! Sweet jesus man, were you nuts?! You werent missing anything from a fwd eldo. Brother sold it to some guy in NJ for $2300 which was more than he paid my uncle for it in 2006.

adam

The last 2 times I had the Riv out, it actually drove like I felt it should have. It just still leaks a lot, but less than it was.
I had to try the "new car" on the same drive that I would have to use it for. better to find out now instead of later. I wouldn't have been able to work after driving that. I still can't straighten up all the way easily even 6 hours later.
it didn't really bother my arm at all and driving it wasn't really bad. I could probably live with it for real short drives, but not with my current drive needs. Within 20 minutes of getting out of the car, I had to hit the couch.

Today, I switched the snow tire wheels from the Riv to the Caddy. Getting the Riv ready for likely sale, but haven't firmly decided just yet.

In my opinion, I would consider just selling the "futuristic time machine" aka; 08' Avenger. I like those old buicks. How is the Brougham doin? Also, how do you estimate your "stash"? Is it in 55 gal drums or qts or 5qt jugs?

Adam

The Caddy is just fine, only needs a muffler by the end of the year. I like the Buick, but it needs more work than the finished product would be worth IMO. To make it right, I'd have to pull engine and fix the leaks as well as possibly go over the bottom end as it's a bit noisy down there, also would need a set of tires.

My Delo stash is in a 55 gallon drum and my XHD30w is in 5 gallon drums, while other oils are in gallons and quarts.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
D'oh! Just blew a hole in the catalytic convertor on the Riviera.

Now what? straight pipe? or a fit`s-em-all converter? thats got the old GM pancake type converter on it doesnt it? Those were so restrictive.

Last edited:
Well, I have to have one on this one, or at least something resembling one. In looking closer at it, the old pancake split on the side near front. I can get a new "direct-fit" from Rockauto for about $90 and I'd still need a set of tires to go another year on this one. I think the mechanicals have about 30-40k still left in them without intervention under current use. I'm using it all this week. Short version: I'm looking at around $500 to pass another year. I'll keep an eye out on the "beater-verse", but won't be looking too hard.
I'm thinking the car may improve overall in performance and efficiency if I replace it, but sometimes it is cheaper just to get another car.
3 days later and I'm still stiff and sore from trying to drive that Avenger.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
D'oh! Just blew a hole in the catalytic convertor on the Riviera.

Now what? straight pipe? or a fit`s-em-all converter? thats got the old GM pancake type converter on it doesnt it? Those were so restrictive.

So you are prob gonna sell the Riv eh? When are you going to take delivery of the 63' Chrylser Newport? Anxious to see pics and the stories with that car!

Originally Posted By: jdawg89
Just read the whole thread. VERY interesting. And how much are you thinking of selling the riv for?

Right now, it'd be $1000 as-is or $1200 with exhaust repaired. I still have 2 months on the inspections.
Originally Posted By: shell_user
So you are prob gonna sell the Riv eh? When are you going to take delivery of the 63' Chrylser Newport? Anxious to see pics and the stories with that car!

That's 50/50 at this time. I'm hoping to go and get the '63 on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back