OCI and oil for new (to me) driving style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
That caddy would be a great road car, but it is somewhat similar to the Riviera, so if you never like the way the Riv drives, you won't like the Caddy, either!

Good point. I don't need to love how they drive, just need them to be good enough to not commit suicide above 60mph. The better tires actually made the bouncing on the right front worse. Around town and on the way to work, it's fine. Just on the way home it gets real bad.
I put a new set of gabriel guardians on the front this morning, but didn't find anything noticeably wrong with the old ones or a difference between sides. I also inspected the control arm bushings and found nothing wrong and steering stabilizer end links are new. I replaced them a while ago. Will just have to try it again, that's all.

Updated after 100 mile test run:
Car does handle those two areas of highway a lot better, but still bad. Have just ordered a set of guardians for the rear as well. That should make it "good enough". Those 2 areas of I-81 North and this car just don't mix above 60mph. At least now, I don't feel it will fly off the road there.
Another finding is that this car like to be 1/2 qt below full line or it leaks and smokes like a musket blast. I had split a qt with the Riv and the Granada and am now regretting it, but it will burn/leak off soon enough.

Installed set of Guardians on rear as well. Found that lower mounting studs were not properly installed when shocks were new. Hopefully, that's all it was.

Your oil burning is probably the valve guide seals. (from sitting/age) Glad to hear your getting her road worthy!! Looks like a real nice car.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Your oil burning is probably the valve guide seals. (from sitting/age) Glad to hear your getting her road worthy!! Looks like a real nice car.

Nope. Those are quite good still.
smile.gif
The leak is either from rear of intake or rear main seal. It drips out onto exhaust and burns there. My last 2 or 3 of these engines did the same.

@ 59.814k, changed oil and filter on the Granada, as well as a lube. Put in another round of SP XD-30w.

UOA?

(...yeah, I know, that's all I ask...)

Sent sample off in the morning after changing it. Was changed after the 46 mile drive home from work and about 7-10 miles of local driving, so it couldn't be more warm than it was. I changed it this weekend because: A- I had time, B- it started throwing a blue cloud on startup this week, C- it only had one more day or so to hit my 5k target.
Likely, this'll be the last UOA on this ride. Either late this summer, or early spring; it heads to the crusher. Most of the people I work with do not have a car and I'm hoping one of them buys it, but not likely.

I can't believe that someone without personal transportation wouldn't want that old tank.
You've certainly proven that it can still hold up to pretty hard use.
I'm sure you'd let it go at a really low price and it would likely give another couple of years of use to someone.

The car itself is still more than up to the task and I probably could "arrange" another annual inspection or so. Current ones are good till 4/2013 and plate due 8/2012. it just makes lots of 'body noise" while on bumpy roads.
i just need better ride quality for that long of drive. Junkyard offered $500 for it driven in, so all a buyer would have to do is beat the junkyard in April. I've been telling people $700 for now since it could be driven with no work at all till then.

Had the Riv out this morning, but window wouldn't work. Took door apart and whacked motor with a hammer and now it works again.
smile.gif

Last edited:
It seems a bit of a shame to condemn this old beast to the scrapyard when it has life left in it.
If you lived closer to me, I'd beat you down to $600 and use the old dear as a winter beater for a year or two.
RWD has no perils for me, since that's what I grew up with driving through Cleveland winters.
The flexible flyer structure is just part of the nature of American cars of the era in which the Granada was designed.

My 75 Granada (my first car in 1980) rode pretty [censored] too. It`s just the nature of the beast with those cars. And it was only a five year old car at the time.

Last edited:
UOA posted in proper forum.
smile.gif
From the readings, it seems I couldn't possibly tune this carb/engine any better.

The car has possibly a few good years left in it, but the beating really takes it out of me. By the end of the week, I'm sleeping more and more. Right through 3 alarms.
while harder to work on, that '88 Caddy brougham in the boneyard looks better every day. Would also be the newest car I've ever owned to date.

Well, a 1988 Caddy would most likely have a much more 'controlled' ride than either car you have now.

But, as you say, LOTS to go wrong on a Caddy of that vintage - the electronics, to start with!

The electronics were pretty decent unless the displays croaked and that's pretty easy to check right away. The wiring harnesses on the other hand, well they may give some troubles. Deteriorated plastic and leather are the real scary bits with a car like that at its current age.

Last edited:
Well, a 1988 Caddy would most likely have a much more 'controlled' ride than either car you have now.

But, as you say, LOTS to go wrong on a Caddy of that vintage - the electronics, to start with!

Except for the power accessories, this one hasn't got much else. Still carburated with HEI. It really looks no different underhood than my '85 Delta 88 did. it may be the roller-lifter version I've heard of. Currently, it has a salvage certificate; so I'd have to go about titling this, if the price is right.

Riviera update: ride is good enough now, though I had the battery cable fail and liquify the battery.
frown.gif
molten lead was everywhere.
That was my initial thought anyways. Autozone replaced the battery and cable + hold down block for no charge. I was able to rig up something involving electric tape, lots of shrinkwrap, and 2 rubber stretch ties to get home.

@60.5k- Granada wouldn't crank at work, only buzz/clicking. Removed battery terminals and cleaned inside with a razor blade. Car started right up afterwards.

Now at 61k, I'll be starting to remove my stuff from the car. haven't quite decided yet between risking $ on listing it on ebay or just straight junking it.
I'll run the Riv during the next 2-3 months of good weather while I decide on another beater.

Why not give CL a shot?
Someone will want this car, since decent looking and running old cars are considered cool by many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back