Now i'm lost on filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

Probably relief valve related imo.....

It's more to it then that friend, media weakness can be a problem from short trips causing moisture saturation or coolant intrusion and or media loading(to long of OCI)combine this with a poorly supporting center cage and you get a potently fail problem.

run a traditional steel core filter(if application supports it)and eliminate this type problem.

When i did use valvo in a few cars it used oil,when i changed to quaker state,castrol it stopped using oil so that's why i don't like valvo.I had back then big ponitacs,buicks nuttin' smaller than a 400 emgine...back then.
I do take care of my vehicles moreso engine wise and am fussy i guess in what i want.
Will check on pure ones and wix.Nards only carries fram now...for some reason,they used to have quakers,pure ones...not any more.

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
The major complaint with Fram filters are the cardboard endcaps. As far as I can recall, I have not seen evidence of a Fram orange can filter fail. I have experienced a Purolator filter crushing from not being made to the correct size for a cartridge filter application. There are posted pics of filters with seams that have split and holes in the filter material - none of them have been Frams.

Well said

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: ProfPS
The major complaint with Fram filters are the cardboard endcaps. As far as I can recall, I have not seen evidence of a Fram orange can filter fail. I have experienced a Purolator filter crushing from not being made to the correct size for a cartridge filter application. There are posted pics of filters with seams that have split and holes in the filter material - none of them have been Frams.

Well said

You guy's didn't look very hard,see anything wrong here with this quality product.

2010_03_06_OF%20011%20%28Large%29.jpg

I stick to Purolator Pure One for up to 6,000 mile oil change intervals. I use the Royal Purple oil filters for anything over 6,000 to 12,000 miles. I always use a full synthetic oil with either. Pennzoil Platinum with the Pure One and Amsoil with the Royal Purple.

Originally Posted By: Junior96Stang
Motorcraft are very good too. WIX are the best I am using a CarQuest filter made by WIX.

How is WIX the best?

Like most I used Frams or no names like Micro Gard for decades without issues. I did have a buddy that had a no name filter self destruct and push filter element into his engine, ruining it. The manufacturer (I think it might have been Champion labs, it was from a branded oil change place) did pony up and foot the bill for a new engine after he shipped the filter to them and I commend them for that.

I know that is an extremely rare/unlikely occurrence but it is possible anyway, I'm quite certain he was over 5k when it destructed as well.

I now use Purolators (thanks BITOG) and have noticed quieter engines at start up when using the Pure One. They are cheap at Advance with an on line coupon so why not?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Like most I used Frams or no names like Micro Gard for decades without issues. I did have a buddy that had a no name filter self destruct and push filter element into his engine, ruining it. The manufacturer (I think it might have been Champion labs, it was from a branded oil change place) did pony up and foot the bill for a new engine after he shipped the filter to them and I commend them for that.

I know that is an extremely rare/unlikely occurrence but it is possible anyway, I'm quite certain he was over 5k when it destructed as well.

I now use Purolators (thanks BITOG) and have noticed quieter engines at start up when using the Pure One. They are cheap at Advance with an on line coupon so why not?

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: daman

It's more to it then that friend, media weakness can be a problem from short trips causing moisture saturation or coolant intrusion and or media loading(to long of OCI)combine this with a poorly supporting center cage and you get a potently fail problem.

run a traditional steel core filter(if application supports it)and eliminate this type problem.

I agree, wouldn't buy one just on the doubt myself, that's why I corrected my "advice." But champ is a big co, makes lots of filters, so in theory the OUGHT to get the basics down like media strength per design of center tube. Especially given all the development research they claim.
When I see one or two samples defects with some unknowns, I have my doubts about that also, is what I was probably saying. The bypass on some GM cars is in the block for the life of the car, so maybe if it isn't working right the filter takes the full pressure differential so to speak. Who knows, it is easy to make mistakes typing and posting, then there's no going back.

Originally Posted By: daman

I agree, wouldn't buy one just on the doubt myself, that's why I corrected my "advice." But champ is a big co, makes lots of filters, so in theory the OUGHT to get the basics down like media strength per design of center tube. Especially given all the development research they claim.
When I see one or two samples defects with some unknowns, I have my doubts about that also, is what I was probably saying. The bypass on some GM cars is in the block for the life of the car, so maybe if it isn't working right the filter takes the full pressure differential so to speak. Who knows, it is easy to make mistakes typing and posting, then there's no going back.

I hear ya, not saying it never could happen just unlikely,reasons above are more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back