Nokian WR G2's vs. Toyo Versados

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at getting some new tires for my Volvo S40 AWD and I think it will be between the Nokian WR G2's and the Toyo Versado. Both come in my size are are V rated. I need a good year round tire that is good in snow but quiet on dry pavement. Also I want something quiet since my stock Michelin Pilots are extremely loud and worn out at only 25,000 miles. Anyone have the WR G2's or Versados? Many thanks!

I had the WR G2's a couple years ago. When they were new, they were pretty quiet. After about 10k miles, even with a regular rotation, they started to become quite noisy and stayed that way to the end. This was on a 60-series H-rated tire. I only got about 30k miles out of them before they needed to be replaced (the "4" on the wear indicator didn't show anymore). Once it started to snow, it was really apparent that even with the mountain/snowflake symbol, these were not as good as dedicated winter tires. I went back to separate winter tires for this car.

I would not buy them again. The idea is good, their execution was not the greatest.

The Nokians seem to have 50/50 reviews with some people saying they are grea and some saying they are awefull. They Toyo's seem to have mostly very good reviews with very few bad so I'm kind of leaning towards the Versados. The Nokians tread patters looks so dam cool though!

From what I have read the WRG2 is either wonderful or "meh" depending a lot on the vehicle you put them on. For example, they appear very popular on Subaru and Volvo vehicles.

I would be running them on my Outback if the Michelin rebate hadn't made that a financially dumb decision.

That being said, I expect a trade off on winter perfomance for treadlife with the tires I went with (Primacy MXV4). From what I have read, the WRG2 seem to have a 30-50k functional all-weather treadlife. Which would be about accurate for their 500 tread wear rating.

Last edited by a moderator:
The G2 reminds me of the DWS...

Nokian_WR_G2.png

co_xtrcontactdws_ci2_l.jpg

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
From what I have read the WRG2 is either wonderful or "meh" depending a lot on the vehicle you put them on. For example, they appear very popular on Subaru and Volvo vehicles.

I would be running them on my Outback if the Michelin rebate hadn't made that a financially dumb decision.

That being said, I expect a trade off on winter perfomance for treadlife with the tires I went with (Primacy MXV4). From what I have read, the WRG2 seem to have a 30-50k functional all-weather treadlife. Which would be about accurate for their 500 tread wear rating.

You hear anything on the Toyo Versados?

My wife had the WR G2's v-rated 215/45/17's. They last her 45k miles until a large pothole at 80mph took them out. They had another 5k-10k left of non-winter tread.

They were extremely quiet(better than Conti DWS) on dry. They were better than pure winters in slush and incredible in the wet. The snow/ice performance was excellent for a performance winter tire but not quite a "pure" winter tire.

I would not hesitate to recommend them.

My gut feeling is the Toyo's will not touch a candle in winter performance compared to Nokian WR's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
What car does your wife drive? Thanks!

She drives a 2005 Legacy GT(turbo) wagon 5mt.

Every car is different, and you will know the real world difference only if you have both sets. For my heavy RWD Town Car second generation(G2) did not work too well. Versado is a superb tire for me, but I still use winter tires in winter. Where I drive, black ice and ice in general is more of an issue than snow.
Do not settle for the Les Schwab version of Versado: Toyo Tourevo LS. No comparison. Especially in hydroplaning and ice traction. Les Schwab in general is not the same good ol Les Schwab it used to be.. Pirelli P4 is a very positive surprise for my application. I run a car service and run through 2-3 sets of tires a year on heavy vehicles, mostly Panthers. Yours is different, of course.

I want year round tires that are good in the summer and winter snow. I can't be changing them up for different seasons. We have the Versados on another AWD Volvo XC70 and they are good in snow as I tried to slide and the car would not. I'm sure the Versado would be good on my S40 AWD but if the WR G2's are better I may try them out. I'm just a little concerned about road noise as my S40 ate their factory Michlen Pilots up in under 25,000 miles and they became EXTREMELY noisy and loud tires at only 10,000 miles.

Judging from the info I read, the two tires you're looking at really aren't in the same class. Nokian calls theirs 'all weather' tires with lots of siping and probably a soft compound, and the Toyos are a all-season touring tire. I would only guess that the Nokians are great in the snow/slush and stick well to a wet road, but are mediocre in the dry. The Toyos are probably great for three seasons but only just capable in the winter.

So unless you're seeing snow and messy weather for half the year, I'd go with the Toyos. But seeing that you live in Colorado...?

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Anyone use the WR G2's as only a street tire on dry pavement?

I ran our for nearly 45k year round until a raised man hole blew one out at 80 mph. They are great.

A much less costly alternative to the WRG2, at least according to Consumer Reports, is the Hankook Optimo H727. In a test of 215/60-16 tires, the H727 was rated very good on snow and ice, and the WRG2 was rated good on snow and ice. They received identical ratings for wet braking, dry braking and hydroplaning. The WRG2 did perform better than the H727 on the handling course (VG vs G).

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
A much less costly alternative to the WRG2, at least according to Consumer Reports, is the Hankook Optimo H727. In a test of 215/60-16 tires, the H727 was rated very good on snow and ice, and the WRG2 was rated good on snow and ice. They received identical ratings for wet braking, dry braking and hydroplaning. The WRG2 did perform better than the H727 on the handling course (VG vs G).

Thanks for the info. How did the Toyo Versado do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back