Nokian Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been checking out the Nokian WR Passenger tire and am very intrigue by its design and the fact that they claim good wear, and true four season service as it meeets the severe service requirement. ANyone know anything about Nokian tires except what I read about on their web-site?

I can tell you the Hakka II is the most incredible winter tire I've had on any vehicle. I've never owned a set of Blizzaks but I hear and read they are extremely good too (though obviously not an all season).

The manager at a local STS Tire Shop by me swears the WR Nokian all season tire will perform as good as the Blizzak on ice and snow while still being a true 4 season tire and go 40,000 miles if not longer. No doubt, a very tall task but he has given me no reason to doubt his word. He claims to have witnessed it first hand at a Nokian test facility which was basically a frozen lake bed. Two identical cars, one with a set of Blizzaks and the other with the WR all season and the Nokian a/s equalled the Bridgestone in accleration and stopping and outperformed the Bridgestone in cornering/lateral grip. If it really is true, simply amazing!

They are pricey though but if it eliminates having to buy dedicated winter tires they would be cost efficient.

Right now I'm torn between spending the cashola on a set of RSI (rain,snow,ice) Nokians for my Mazda or going with Blizzaks. A $240.00 difference separates the Bridgestones and Nokians....much more than just pocket change!

I'll give another vote for their snow tires ... just plain awesome.

There was a lot of discussion of this and other snow tires here. Try searching using "Nokian" and "Nokyan" on this site.

--- Bror Jace

lobo11,
I run their snows. I regularly get 6-7 seasons out of them, assuming 18k miles a year, probably 5-6k a year on the snows. They give excellent traction on the snow and the sipes help on the ice.

I still have a set of the NRT2s on my Civic, but IMO they are overpriced for a regular street tire. I'm going to go with a Kumho the next time the Civic needs shoes as I've been pretty impressed with the Kumho Venture MTs I have on the Rover.

Bogatyr

I bought the WR for my g/f's Jetta. She runs them all year long in Wisconsin. Since she's lazy and doesn't feel like having dedicated winter tires, these WRs are the next best thing. They're very good in the white stuff and OK during summer. She doesn't drive aggressively, so she doesn't need stiff sidewalls and crisp steering response of a dedicated summer tire.

I'm planning on getting a set of WRs for myself when my crappy Michelin Pilot Alpins wear out.

Thanks for the input guys. I plan on heading to the Tire Factory and getting a price. I'll post if I happen to purchase a set. I plan on waiting until I get closer to winter regardless, but it is never too early to start researching. Thanks again.

Nokians are the hot set up in Vermont. I have four on my GMC 2500HD for winter use, just bought four to install this winter on my '91 Infiniti Q45, and we are getting four of the Hakka SUV snows for our latest vehicle, an Infiniti FX45.

When my Firestone Steeltex wear out on the 2500HD, getting four Nokian Vatiivas.

They also make summer tires. Some of their tires, particularly truck/suv tires, are USA made to their specs by Cooper.

I'd buy a set of Hakkas and have them studded if they were offered in 17in load range E. They don't, so I'm looking at the studdable Cooper S/T and will add some additional siping.

quote:

Originally posted by lobo11:
I have been checking out the Nokian WR Passenger tire and am very intrigue by its design and the fact that they claim good wear, and true four season service as it meeets the severe service requirement. ANyone know anything about Nokian tires except what I read about on their web-site?

yes, it is true. I've had their previous generation tire, the NRW, put on 2 of my cars and one of my friends cars. The wear level is acceptable to your normal poeple, too.

I also bought a set of green diamond icelanders for my ice racing car. On ice, the ice landers are about as good as the Hakka Q's, but for half the price.

As far as deep snow, the NRW's were far superior to the Icelanders in deeper snow. Both are 4 season sevear weather tires.

Nokian WR are one of the extreme few all-season tires that meet the severe weather requirements, thus carries the "snowflake" logo.

It really the best of both, good snow/ice traction with a all-season wearing rate. I, like many others Saab owners, use this on my two Saabs.

I use to use Pirelli WinterSports (dedicated snowtire) but feel the WRs perform just as well in winter.

We typically only get 1-6 inches of snow around here.

We own a set on our 96 Civic for about two years and they are superior in the snow. In my opinion the traction rivals a snow tire. They are great in the wet too. If you push them, rare in our Civic, they are not as quite precise as normal tires. The best part is no more tire changeover before/after every winter. We love them and I would highly recommend them.

Approaching the third winter with Green Diamond Icelanders on all three RWD Volvos. As long as they're available I will keep using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back