Nokian Outpost APT All-Weather (Summer Off-Road) Review

This is a sequel to a review I did back in December here:

My non-winter/non-off-road tires are the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 (235/45R18). All I'll say about these is that they are everything you've read about them: near-summer tire performance and capable traction in the snow. So far I've had these on ever since the night time temps have remained consistently above 0C and ski season was over (back in late Feb). Overall, I'd have these on for 8 of 12 mo in the year.

So one of the reasons I settled with this one was because I wanted an "all-purpose terrain tire" for my 2022 Hyundai Kona N-Line 1.6T - to swap in during the winter snow/ice months, and swap back in to deal with light-duty off-road. According to Nokian, it was designed for drivers who "seek off-road adventure and a comfortable commute". I also settled on this one because it has the 3-peak mountain snowflake symbol. So last week I decided to swap the Nokians back and scout out a backcountry trailhead that I'll be visiting again in August. The other reason for the scouting trip was to see how capable the Kona N-Line was out in the back country (with shovels, air-compressor, spare tire and whatever wrenches). Nokian size is 225/55R17. My tire comes with aramid side-walls.

Here's where we went:

IMG_20230604_1659309.jpg

Deep back-country, 30 km east of Squamish, British Columbia near the end of the Mamquam FSR and looking for the Seed Peak trailhead. Got to see a black-tailed deer and a black-bear on the FSR.

Although the FSR looks relatively smooth here, there are many very steep shaley sections which I was very concerned re sidewall tears and cuts.
The Kona N-Line is not intended to be "the best off-roader" out there; I just needed it to get me through whatever forest service roads to get me to various backcountry trailheads. But given it's not set up as an off-roader, I was pretty much limited to around 35 km/hr max because of the many ripples and potholes encountered on the way up.

Having the three-peak symbol came in handy as around the 1100 m elevation we started to run into snow patches (30 cm approx) which I got an opportunity to lock the transfer case:
IMG_20230604_1659188.jpg

But the Nokians took these on like a champ until we finally met consistent snow at around the 1250 m level:

IMG_20230604_1701168.jpg

That was the end of our ascent so we missed the trailhead by approx 150 m vertical (1400 m) - close enough. So we decided to relax and have a BBQ:

IMG_20230604_1714506a.jpg

The ride up was much smoother (for obvious reasons) than the Michelins on the same type of roads. The suspension on the N-Line is still on the stiffer end so I couldn't really go very fast (hr). On the highway, the Nokians were definitely louder and more "noodley". But not unacceptably so. My fuel consumption remained unchanged with the same tire pressures I used for the Michelins. Much more lean and less nimble than the Michelins. But what do you expect? When I got home though I was thrilled to see not a single cut or scrape on the treads as well as on sidewalls! Other than barely visible road wear, the Nokians handled the light off-roading with ease. I'm happy the shale didn't get a chance to "test out" the aramid sidewalls. I was hoping to see how the car and tire combo would fare on some waterbar pitches but the FSR had none so can't comment.

Really happy I got these. So if you're looking for winter duty and light-off roading capability, the Nokian Outpost APT warrants serious consideration.

Hope y'all enjoyed the pictures.

How is noise? That seems biggest complaint with this new Made in US line up.
Subjective... but I'll give it a try. Relative to my PSAS4s. Well the PSAS4 would produce white noise in that the Kona N-Line isn't the most well insulated from road noise as a start. With the Nokians, I can definitely hear two different tones; white noise as well as a lower droning noise/tone. Which one would I prefer? Of course the PSAS4s. But the Nokians aren't too obtrusive at all. Relative to other snow tires I've had in the past (General Altimax Artic and Toyo Observe Garit), I would say both the General Altimax and Toyo Observe Garit were both quieter overall I'd say. I am I complaining about the noise produced by the Nokians? No, not at all.

Not sure I answered your question. But I tried my best!

Subjective... but I'll give it a try. Relative to my PSAS4s. Well the PSAS4 would produce white noise in that the Kona N-Line isn't the most well insulated from road noise as a start. With the Nokians, I can definitely hear two different tones; white noise as well as a lower droning noise/tone. Which one would I prefer? Of course the PSAS4s. But the Nokians aren't too obtrusive at all. Relative to other snow tires I've had in the past (General Altimax Artic and Toyo Observe Garit), I would say both the General Altimax and Toyo Observe Garit were both quieter overall I'd say. I am I complaining about the noise produced by the Nokians? No, not at all.

Not sure I answered your question. But I tried my best!
Just saying as Nokian is being priced better than before. I am doing some mumbo jumbo project on Atlas and Nokian Outpost AT might be one of very few options, probably best one, although I said I won’t ever get them again after 3 miserable experiences.

Just saying as Nokian is being priced better than before. I am doing some mumbo jumbo project on Atlas and Nokian Outpost AT might be one of very few options, probably best one, although I said I won’t ever get them again after 3 miserable experiences.

The outpost AT isn't available in 245/60r18.

Surprised you're not going with Conti TerrainContact AT, which you tout as the best in class tire.

The outpost AT isn't available in 245/60r18.

Surprised you're not going with Conti TerrainContact AT, which you tout as the best in class tire.
Nah, not going that size.
Current size is 255/50R20.

But, going either 245/70R17 (tire choices not a problem, if go that route, probably Michelin LTX M/S2), or 255/60R18 (same diameter as 20’s). But, tire choices for 255/60R18 are abysmal. Nokian Outpost AT are only decent choice at $188.

Back