Nokian Hakkapellita R snow tires - reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nokian makes excellent tires however they are pretty pricey due to limited folks who sell them.

I would look hard at Michelin also as tbey are quite good and readily available in many more locations driving price down.

Xice or xice xi2?

The org xice were mediocre

At that price i'd go nokian too.

Did you consider the hakka 5's the R is based of or no just curious

Originally Posted By: Rand
Xice or xice xi2?

The org xice were mediocre

At that price i'd go nokian too.

Did you consider the hakka 5's the R is based of or no just curious

X-Ice XI2's were $3/tire more than the Nokian R's. The 5's were $25/tire more than the R's, or beyond the point of diminishing returns. I was willing to pay for a quality LRR snow tire, up to a point.

I was also put off by the negative reviews of the Michelin XI2's. It seems they're pricey, and inconsistent in quality. The Nokian R's had more positive reviews.

Anyhow, I ended up purchasing a set of the Nokian R's in 215/60-16 mounted on winter alloys.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
...and ordering snow tires while they're still in stock. Come November and December, all the snow tires will be gone around me and online. Better to prepare early rather than being stuck in a snowy ditch.

^^^^THIS!!
Especially when it comes to Nokians, as they seem to be the very FIRST winter/snow tires to sell out completely each year, and are NEVER restocked by the sellers within the same season once this happens.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
...and ordering snow tires while they're still in stock. Come November and December, all the snow tires will be gone around me and online. Better to prepare early rather than being stuck in a snowy ditch.

^^^^THIS!!
Especially when it comes to Nokians, as they seem to be the very FIRST winter/snow tires to sell out completely each year, and are NEVER restocked by the sellers within the same season once this happens.
frown.gif

grin.gif
Tires/wheels shipped out today! When 4 giant boxes show up on the front door early next week, I'll know what they are! It's already fall in this neck of the woods, with the trees beginning to turn.

^^^^THIS!!
frown.gif

grin.gif
Tires/wheels shipped out today! When 4 giant boxes show up on the front door early next week, I'll know what they are! It's already fall in this neck of the woods, with the trees beginning to turn.

I blew up one of my conti extreme winter contacts on road trash.. they were done for the year making them so I had to buy 2 Yoko IG20's

Its almost worth having an extra tire.

They will be up for sale soon. The car I used them on got totaled by a youth texting and not looking at the road.. sigh. (my regular tires and rims were on at the time)

Last edited:
Pictures comparing these to the General Altimax Arctics I'm selling:

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

Made in Russia, comrade! I'm trusting the Russians with my life. Not sure how they'll like supporting a US-made car!
IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

And, the wheel up against the Cruze to show how they will look:
IMG_2303.jpg

Originally Posted By: Rand
was that the hakka R or the hakka RSI?
they are different.

Those pictures are of the R. Discount Tire didn't list the Rsi for sale.

This setup is pretty lightweight at 41 lbs each. It compares well to the 39 lb OEM tires/wheels. 2 lbs a corner more weight is likely only just noticeable.

A guy I work with just some Nokian Nordman 4's in today. These also said "Made in Russia" on the sidewall. What the difference between the Nokian Nordman's and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta's? Are the Nordmans a standard snow tire and the Hakka's a performance snow?

Originally Posted By: FordFocus
A guy I work with just some Nokian Nordman 4's in today. These also said "Made in Russia" on the sidewall. What the difference between the Nokian Nordman's and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta's? Are the Nordmans a standard snow tire and the Hakka's a performance snow?

Nordmans are their older designs that are still being produced. I'd guess since they have the tooling paid for and want to make a more affordable Nokian-branded tire. The Hakkas are more recent designs.

Update: They went onto the Cruze today. Initial impressions in 55*F weather are that these aren't a traditional squirmy snow tire. Cornering was stable, and no squirm in the middle of a turn. They rode quite nicely, but they should at 55*F.

For their green credentials, they do seem to be a LRR tire. They coasted almost as far as the LRR Goodyear Assurance FuelMax tires that came on the car.

I'll get a great test of wet performance later this week, and hopefully a report on snow performance in a few weeks!

Initial driving review: I put on about 80 miles on these today in 35*F weather. They were quiet, rode well, and cornered well on dry pavement. In short, they behaved impeccably in the dry.

For the fuel-savers out there, my instant and average fuel economy using these was higher than the LRR Goodyears that came off! It was almost back up to the summer/early fall fuel economy I was getting. And these are brand-new tires. Tire pressures were 37 psi rear, 39 psi front according to the TPMS readout on the dash.

So far, these are living up to their hype. I'll see if they live up to their ballyhooed status when the white stuff starts flying.

Another day, another positive review. This time in the wet. They felt confident and planted in 35*F rain today.

Also, they really are a LRR tire. My freeway fuel economy was right where it usually sits with the LRR tires that came OEM.

Update:

Well, we finally got enough snow to properly test these out. After driving about 100 miles today on truly awful secondary roads, these tires get a big thumbs up from me! They worked well in the loose snow/slush mixture on the roads today. I needed to spin them when the traction control killed my momentum going uphill in 3" of loose slush, and they went just fine. On loose snow, the car tracked true both when hit with crosswinds and going around corners. Overall, they felt very confident and sure-footed when moving forward.

In braking and turning, they performed well. They braked just fine, even when I purposely tried to get them unhinged by slamming on the brakes on loose snow. They turned fine too. They let the car slide about an acceptable amount, then tucked back in line quickly. At speed, they were very sure-footed going around snow-covered turns at speeds appropriate for the conditions.

I see why people like Nokian Hakka snow tires. They work, period.

Thanks for the review, sciphi!
thumbsup2.gif

If I spring for 'real' Q, or T rated winter tires next year (vs. something H/V rated), these are the ones!!

No problem!

I was hesitant about spending the money on Nokians. I'm glad I did. The R's just plain work. They're every bit as good as my General Altimax Arctics in deep snow, better in slush, and don't have the fuel economy hit associated with other snow tires. I'll also confirm what I said in November about the dry-road performance. It's impeccable.

I really wanted to buy these I just couldnt afford the premium or locate a seller who would sell to me mounted on rims. (in my size)

With the blizzack ws70's I have lost about 1-2mpg(but who doesnt in winter) 25-27mpg to 24.xx

They are fairly amazing in the snow on ice crud I've been driving on last 2 days here in ohio. The best I've had so far. Although its difficult to truly compare different tires on different platforms(cars)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back