Nokian Hakkapellita R snow tires - reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm definitely getting snow tires for the Cruze. My job's changed geographical areas, and since I use my car for my job, these tires will need to get through anything we get in a western/central NY winter.

I quite liked the General Altimax Arctics I used last year on my old LeSabre. I didn't like the fuel economy hit, however. So this time around I'm looking at snow tires that get a bit better fuel economy. The Nokian R's came across as a great performer that minimizes the fuel economy hit.

Anybody try these, or have anything to say about them?

I have used nokian tyres for a long time. (born and raised in Finland)

They have always performed Very well for me.

I have a set of Nokian Vatiiva AT's on my ranger that heve been great.

But I do like the General Altimax Arctic's I have for my cherokee for winter use too.

I'd give the Nokian's a try if I were you, The quality of their products is always good IMHO.

Nokian makes good snow tires and according to there website "Hakkapeliitta R has the lowest rolling resistance of any tire in Nokian Tyres product line."

Another tire to consider would be the Michelin X-Ice XI2. Acording to Tirerack "X-Ice Xi2 tires meet Michelin's Green X standard* for low rolling resistance that confirms the tire's contribution to reducing vehicle fuel consumption and emissions of CO2 gases"

I would probable go with the michelin because it would be easier to find and probably even cheaper than the Nokian. Nokians are expensive. I think the michelin would be a smoother riding tire and is the ONLY SNOW TIRE that I know of with a 40,000 mile treadwear warranty! Nobody else puts a warranty on snow tires.

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Very Nice...

Thanks for the link.

Jim

Welcome! They should be pretty nice. Hope they're as fuel-efficient as they claim.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Very depressing to hear about snow tires in summer.

LOL! It's just us upstate NY folks. We're planning for winter in the summer, and vice versa. A neighbor's cousin is already lining up people to plow out this winter with his new-to-him Silverado. I've spent the past few days undercoating while it's still nice out, and ordering snow tires while they're still in stock. Come November and December, all the snow tires will be gone around me and online. Better to prepare early rather than being stuck in a snowy ditch.

Discount Tire Direct was cheaper after mounting/balancing costs were figured in. I ordered the tires mounted and balanced on 4 winter wheels. Doing everything separately would have cost more than the package price.

Originally Posted By: FordFocus
Nokian makes good snow tires and according to there website "Hakkapeliitta R has the lowest rolling resistance of any tire in Nokian Tyres product line."..........

Interesting. According to CR's testing (in 2009), the Hakka5 has lower rolling resistance than the HakkaR.

Last edited:
You won't be disappointed.Put a set of Hakka's on my son's Cobalt last year and he drove home in snow that was 6-7 inches deep at least. I was getting the Jeep ready to go and pick him up from work,leaving his car at work,when he pulled up the driveway.My other son went to a sub-division ,that was half void of homes, and tried to spin out and he said he couldn't.The ABS light never came on once last winter they told me.But they do wear quick.One number on the tire is gone after one season but they both do alot of driving in winter.Back and forth to college ,work and so on thats why I bought the Nokians.My brother-in-law is civic engineer and has to drive his Impala in bad snow conditions and he swears by the Nokians.I bought the Nokian Vatiiva All Terrains for my Jeep TJ and am pleased with them also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
According to CR's testing (in 2009), the Hakka5 has lower rolling resistance than the HakkaR.

Lower overall or better compared to other tires in the same class?

It would be nice if somebody came up with a measure of rolling resistance that worked across all tire types. Then comparing tires wouldn't be such a guessing game.

Either way, I'm looking forward to trying these out. At the least, they should offer a good amount of grip in the snow.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
It would be nice if somebody came up with a measure of rolling resistance that worked across all tire types. Then comparing tires wouldn't be such a guessing game.

Either way, I'm looking forward to trying these out. At the least, they should offer a good amount of grip in the snow.

cant go wrong with those.. personally I think their price premium over more popular tires is pretty steep. but I guess you have to pay for the best.

for instance in my size its 153 vs 117 (xice2)
or 153 vs 105(conti extreme winter contact)

I guess what I'm saying is these fail bang for the buck.. but I'm not doubting they are at least as good as these other tires in most areas.

With a possible tradeoff in noise ride and handling for extra snow/ice traction

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: sciphi

cant go wrong with those.. personally I think their price premium over more popular tires is pretty steep. but I guess you have to pay for the best.

for instance in my size its 153 vs 117 (xice2)
or 153 vs 105(conti extreme winter contact)

I guess what I'm saying is these fail bang for the buck.. but I'm not doubting they are at least as good as these other tires in most areas.

With a possible tradeoff in noise ride and handling for extra snow/ice traction

For the Cruze in the popular 215/60-16 size I ordered, they were a few dollars cheaper than the Michelin X-Ices (Nokians $135, Michelins $138 and spotty reviews), and only $15-18/tire more than other snow tires that weren't rated as highly. I wanted the LRR feature, and did the math that shows the fuel savings over a non-LRR snow tire will more than make up the difference in cost this winter alone. Over the life of the tires, the fuel savings will be enough to mostly pay for the set.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
According to CR's testing (in 2009), the Hakka5 has lower rolling resistance than the HakkaR.

Lower overall or better compared to other tires in the same class?

Well, in the later 2010 test, both the HakkaR and the Hakka5 (and the Alpin PA3), in size 225/40-18, received a rating of "excellent" for rolling resistance, compared to all the other tires tested, which included winters, UHP summers, and UHP all seasons. No other tires in either of the UHP groups received an "excellent" rating for rolling resistance. So much for the myth that winter tires usually have higher rolling resistances than the other classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back