Nokian R5 winter tires, what is your experience?

We’ve owned 20+ sets of winter tires since 2005: Bridgestone, General, Michelin, and Nokian. On our Outbacks we’ve used Nokian R, X-Ice Xi-2, Nokian R2, Nordman 7, Nokian Hakka 8, and Nokian Hakka R3. On our Cruzes we’ve used General Altimax Arctic, Blizzak WS80, and Nokian R2. Used Contis on my old rally car.

None of them had the poor balance of your single data point. Probably should have brought them back to Discount Tire.

Haven’t seen the Norwegian test for this season but:

The German Auto Club ADAC tests winter tires: search on “Winterreifen“ or use Google Translate. Not all available in North America. Their tests often demonstrate different performance for different sizes and profiles, which is puzzling. 215/60x16:

We already discussed balance of Nokian tires here. You are late to the party.
I had more than 45 sets of snow tires in my life.
They are not the worst, by any means, but definitely not top tier.

We already discussed balance of Nokian tires here. You are late to the party.
I had more than 45 sets of snow tires in my life.
They are not the worst, by any means, but definitely not top tier.
Yes, you’ve made your opinion of the R2’s you had four years ago very, very, very, very, very clear.

Think these are R2’s - on my 2009 WRX. If I don’t like the Altimax Arctic 12’s going to buy R5’s.

i-8rKM7Bh-X2.jpg

Yes, you’ve made your opinion of the R2’s you had four years ago very, very, very, very, very clear.

Think these are R2’s - on my 2009 WRX. If I don’t like the Altimax Arctic 12’s going to buy R5’s.

i-8rKM7Bh-X2.jpg
I mean, as far as I am concerned you can import North Korean tires and drive on.

We’ve owned 20+ sets of winter tires since 2005: Bridgestone, General, Michelin, and Nokian. On our Outbacks we’ve used Nokian R, X-Ice Xi-2, Nokian R2, Nordman 7, Nokian Hakka 8, and Nokian Hakka R3. On our Cruzes we’ve used General Altimax Arctic, Blizzak WS80, and Nokian R2. Used Contis on my old rally car.

None of them had the poor balance of your single data point. Probably should have brought them back to Discount Tire.

Haven’t seen the Norwegian test for this season but:

The German Auto Club ADAC tests winter tires: search on “Winterreifen“ or use Google Translate. Not all available in North America. Their tests often demonstrate different performance for different sizes and profiles, which is puzzling. 215/60x16:

I think you missed the point of "balance". It is "performance" balance not "tire/rotation" balance.
While Nokian seems to make decent tires they were never worth "super premium" that they demanded on US market. And their tires seem to excel in a few important points but lag in others, hence not "well balanced performance".

Krzyś

I think you missed the point of "balance". It is "performance" balance not "tire/rotation" balance.
While Nokian seems to make decent tires they were never worth "super premium" that they demanded on US market. And their tires seem to excel in a few important points but lag in others, hence not "well balanced performance".

Krzyś
No, actually I was talking anout balance. They were super difficult to balance, all 4. One needed lead as tires on two other cars. Super harsh over potholes and having some weird noise over small cracks.
But yes, they are good in few disciplines and lag in others. Those are not attributes of premium tires.

Just took the r5’s off and put the all seasons back on ( 3 season ).

Since we had a very mild winter, without a lot of snow, not much to report about with these tires except very quiet.

No, actually I was talking anout balance. They were super difficult to balance, all 4. One needed lead as tires on two other cars. Super harsh over potholes and having some weird noise over small cracks.
But yes, they are good in few disciplines and lag in others. Those are not attributes of premium tires.
Same story with my wrg3 suv. Add in their abysmal wet traction and propensity to hydroplane easily. On snow and ice they were nothing special.

While I have never driven in the types of winters that exist in South, central USA, I have driven many nasty Canadian winters with Nokian r2’s ( many winters using them ) and never had a problem.

Maybe I am an above average driver given they are so bad yet never had any driving issues.

Only winter tire I noticed was subpar were early ( 2000 ) versions of Michelin tires. They were more for a west coast, Vancouver mild winter. I have zero doubt todays winter Michelins are one of the best ( I will try them out on my wife’s car next winter ).

Hopefully I manage to , once again, stay on the road, not get stuck, with Nokian’s on ( r5 now ) next winter.

Last edited:
While I have never driven in the types of winters that exist in South, central USA, I have driven many nasty Canadian winters with Nokian r2’s ( many winters using them ) and never had a problem.

Maybe I am an above average driver given they are so bad yet never had any driving issues.

Only winter tire I noticed was subpar were early ( 2000 ) versions of Michelin tires. They were more for a west coast, Vancouver mild winter. I have zero doubt todays winter Michelins are one of the best ( I will try them out on my wife’s car next winter ).

Hopefully I manage to , once again, stay on the road, not get stuck, with Nokian’s on ( r5 now ) next winter.
They were good in snow, and I spend a lot if time in the Rockies.
However, dry, wet, balancing, comfort? Absolutely abysmal, and wet performance (braking especially) was dangerous. Those and Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX were only tires that I actually had to purposely keep twice the distance from other cars in wet, just in case.

They were good in snow, and I spend a lot if time in the Rockies.
However, dry, wet, balancing, comfort? Absolutely abysmal, and wet performance (braking especially) was dangerous. Those and Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX were only tires that I actually had to purposely keep twice the distance from other cars in wet, just in case.
r5’s are very quiet, comfortable tires.

Dry/wet braking is fine.

They are definitely not junk ( not that you said that ).

It’s been several years since I had r3’s on but I think I do recall they were NOT great on wet/ slush but we never really had wet roads as much back then in the winter where I live unlike today.

I drive either a Honda Civic or Fit, so I am probably too used to poor quality driving experiences 🙂

Back