No more Super Tech MP?

There's "NO WAY" I would use these as the filter is just as important as the oil. Stick with the factory filter or a premium filter like K & N. Many of these cheap filter are poorly constructed and do NOT have a bypass valve.
Pretty much zero name brand filters come without a bypass valve for applications that require them.

What a mess that is. Wrong on nearly every point.
Do what you want, but I've pulled some these filters apart in the past and seen the filter elements collapsed. At that point they usually leak. I am looking for filters that have tests results for consistency in construction. I've noted many don't have a bypass valve. The medal jacket on many are thin. I have a number of new or collector cars and I am not about to look for saving a few bucks on a cheap product. Your car, do what you want. I would bet I am a lot older than you and have owned many, many more vehicles for street, competition, and show. I am not going to short cut quality. I buy my factory filters in bulk and they charge me $4 ea. So, what are you saving? Filters very considerably by micron efficiency, and the volume of oil that can pass thru them at a given temperature. Quality products are designed for efficient filtration at normal RPM and when cold. Without a bypass valve at cold temps or under high RPM demand you starve the engine. Factory filters are carefully tested and have high QC evaluation. So, there's more to it than price.

Do what you want, but I've pulled some these filters apart in the past and seen the filter elements collapsed. At that point they usually leak. I am looking for filters that have tests results for consistency in construction. I've noted many don't have a bypass valve. The medal jacket on many are thin. I have a number of new or collector cars and I am not about to look for saving a few bucks on a cheap product. Your car, do what you want. I would bet I am a lot older than you and have owned many, many more vehicles for street, competition, and show. I am not going to short cut quality. I buy my factory filters in bulk and they charge me $4 ea. So, what are you saving? Filters very considerably by micron efficiency, and the volume of oil that can pass thru them at a given temperature. Quality products are designed for efficient filtration at normal RPM and when cold. Without a bypass valve at cold temps or under high RPM demand you starve the engine. Factory filters are carefully tested and have high QC evaluation. So, there's more to it than price.
You would hate to know that the acdelco filters are the exact same as the super tech line then.

There's "NO WAY" I would use these as the filter is just as important as the oil. Stick with the factory filter or a premium filter like K & N. Many of these cheap filter are poorly constructed and do NOT have a bypass valve.
You must be new here lol. Everyone here knows K&N has the same internals as the Supertech MP series or is some chinesium private label for 3 to 4 times the price retail.

Been noticing an influx of new users that have been educated by BrandRanks videos.

Filters very considerably by micron efficiency, and the volume of oil that can pass thru them at a given temperature. Quality products are designed for efficient filtration at normal RPM and when cold. Without a bypass valve at cold temps or under high RPM demand you starve the engine.
Have you ever seen the efficiency vs micron size rating or the flow vs dP curve for the filters you use? How do you know they with flow with relatively low dP?

Every oil filter has more dP with cold thick oil, especially at high RPM. Keep the RPM down until the oil warms up. If a filter doesn't have a bypass valve in the filter, then the engine better have the filter bypass valve built into the engine somewhere. What starves an engine of oil is when the oil pump goes into pressure relief. Yes, the filter bypass opening helps keep the pump out of relief too. But depending on the situation, the pump could still hit pressure relief.

If there is no filter bypass anywhere in the system, depending on the circumstances, it's possible the filter could be damaged (center tube can imploded and/or the media tears) before the pump hits pressure relief. The guys who remove the filter bypass valve on GM engines experienced that sometimes.

Been noticing an influx of new users that have been educated by BrandRanks videos.
Seems that it's pretty easy to ingrain misconceptions with YouTube videos. Some are decent with some good info, others are way off in the weeds. Reading comments on YT is sometimes more entertaining than the video itself. 😄

For this crowd, you need more credibility than three weeks membership on here.

Was at Wally World today walking through the clearance sections and found a bunch of ST oil filters. All of them were MP blue filters. Went to the oil filter section and they had none on the self. The only ones they had where the base white is ones. View attachment 215600
Darn. I paid 5.97 for the last 5 of that filter my Walmart had. Please tell me you bought all of them for $3.50.

The $5.97 STMP appears to be identical to the nonMP ST that sells for $3.84 except for the silicone ADBV. Unless you're doing longer OCIs (over 10K) there's really no point in spending $2.13 more for the MP IMO. I'd use the ST before the Fram EG judging by the disected filters I've seen.

Darn. I paid 5.97 for the last 5 of that filter my Walmart had. Please tell me you bought all of them for $3.50.
Yeah, they had five so I bought them. Also a Buddy has a Ford F150 with a 5.4 found some of the filters for him. There’s like six of those and we bought all those.

From what I’m seeing at my local Walmart, FRAM has taken the majority of the shelf space. Four different varieties of FRAM. However, you won’t find a 4386 anywhere.

Back