bad Super Tech quality control

I almost didn’t cut these open because I felt super confident that they would be totally identical.

Do you think this quality control problem with the only Super Tech oil filter I’ve ever cut open is a fluke? If I kept opening up AC Delco filters would I find this too? Or … is there a difference in quality control between Super Tech and AC Delco?

Mobil 1 oil filters’ quality and consistency both seem high.

There have been many openings of STech filters on this forum and they seemed good to me. There will always be a bad one out of many with any brand. Comparing STech to a Mobil 1 filter which is more than twice the cost , enforces the phrase "you get what you pay for".

There have been many openings of STech filters on this forum and they seemed good to me. There will always be a bad one out of many with any brand.
But does BITOG make that pool smaller? As in if we're seeing it on just this forum there will be plenty more faults out in the general public.

Pretty sure regardless of the private labeling both of those filters come from the same factory. Looks like the felt end disc had poor contact pressure from the sealing tool during the ultrasonic welding process resulting in a partial seal.

There have been many openings of STech filters on this forum and they seemed good to me. There will always be a bad one out of many with any brand. Comparing STech to a Mobil 1 filter which is more than twice the cost , enforces the phrase "you get what you pay for".
Plus, newer M1s aren't always perfect either since Mann started building them.

Pretty sure regardless of the private labeling both of those filters come from the same factory. Looks like the felt end disc had poor contact pressure from the sealing tool during the ultrasonic welding process resulting in a partial seal.
I never did like the way those type of end caps were sealed to the ends of the pleats. Using a proper glue method is a better way to go.

I recently cut open a used ST6607 and was relatively impressed with the construction. It had plastic end caps and a plastic cage. No apparent defects, had crud in the pleats, so seemed to do its job.

That will not harm the engine. Come to think there are oil filters that does not have those filament endcaps like this Toyota and MANN oil filters

41lFG3t1xLL._AC_.jpg

71UDRH3DGEL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Last edited:
That will not harm the engine. Come to think there are oil filters that does not have those filament endcaps like this Toyota and MANN oil filters

41lFG3t1xLL._AC_.jpg

71UDRH3DGEL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Looks like you could stick a toothpick inside one of the folds of the Toyota filter straight through to the inside of the cylinder without passing through any filter media? How on earth can that work as a filter?

First, topic Champ Labs made spin ons, not the most common construction used on thier filters now. Vast majority ACDelco and Super Tech spin on filters are ecores with metal endcaps. Topic shown older design type with polyester caps. That said, you found a singular Super Tech (ST not MP series) anecdote with what appears to be an insufficiently glued area of an endcap.

So, all those things considered, unlike yourself it would not be enough 'for me' to stop using Super Tech spin on filters.

As an aside, with all the ' hermetically sealed' oil filters now in your stash, I'd think using a Super Tech ST series shouldn't be of any concern.

Looks like you could stick a toothpick inside one of the folds of the Toyota filter straight through to the inside of the cylinder without passing through any filter media? How on earth can that work as a filter?
I had a similar post as yours and a question a week ago. I cannot fathom a manufacturing process where they decided they would run a glue bead down the top and bottom of the media strip before fan folding it. But how else?
I also had a major issue with Toyota USA parts counter Denso filters where the VVT wouldn't work when I took the factory "sponge style" filter off for the first OCI. Had to put the Factory filter back on and joined here to get answers. I do not recall hearing a plausible answer yet across the ensuing thirteen years :)

- Ken ( No, not Kevin Bacon; Hyundai gve him a battery power car )

Back