Nissan Versa "Needs H-Rated Tires"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my online quote and went in to a local chain tire store to price match the Cooper CS4 T rated tires (80k warranty). I was told that my Nissan Versa "needs" an "H" rated tire...... Why would a 4 cylinder nissan versa econo-box need a tire rated at 134mph? The H rated cooper cs4 only has a 60k warranty.

They said that they would mount and balance it but I would have to sign a waiver and It would void my tire warranty and I could not get the road hazard with it...

Is this true?

More then likely the car governs at that speed, 134mph; so they basically enforce H rated tires, despite nobody ever honestly driving that fast.

Unless you're topping out your car you'll be fine.

Did they have what you wanted in stock? I imagine they are more expensive as well.

I only ask because I had my local tire chain say the same thing to me when I inquired about 80k tires for my Civic (not an Si). They didn't carry the tire I was looking for, and then tried to sell me some V-rated Pirelli saying I would benefit from it. I passed and bought the Michelins somewhere else via Tire Rack.

Checking with Tire Rack, I guess the OE tire is a Conti ProContact that is H rated. That seems a bit ambitious.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I can't imagine a Versa being able to pull itself past 115

From car and driver.
2010 Versa 1.8L SL hatchback 113mph drag limited.
2012 Versa 1.6L 107mph est.
2012 Versa 1.6L SL 112mph drag limited.

I think you are right.

But from what I have seen most tires speed rating is at overinflated pressures. They are usually rated lower at normal pressure.

Show them the C&D stats. If they still won't give you the tire warranty, go someplace else. That's pretty shoddy IMO.

I recently faced this question in selecting tires for the Forester, which won't top out as high as your Versa.
The OEM tires are H rated, and I was considering T rated replacements.
I read a post by CapriRacer in a thread that made me reject the idea of not buying at least H rated tires, and ended up buying V rated ones.
Tires rated at least H have a cap ply that lower speed rated tires don't.
This makes them much less likely to fail in use.
I've run S and T rated tires in the past with no problems.
If I can buy a tire that costs a few bucks more and have less chance of problems, I will, though.
Go with at least the H rated tire.
The OEM requirements are not only about speed.

Both our cars are shod with at least V rated rubber. One because it can go faster than a H rated tire's speed limit, the other because the tire happened to come in W speed rating in that size.

The handling on both tires is sharper than the lower speed rated tires, while the ride is still okay. They will also deal with extended mid-summer highway use without issue.

I'll likely go with at least H rated replacements on the Fit, and at least V (door placard) on the Cruze. Neither car needs tires anytime soon, thankfully.

While not offering road hazard and voiding warranty seems to me to be a poor business practice, signing waivers and removing any liability is sound.

And "speed rating" doesnt have as much to do with speed as it does with ride and handling characteristics in a lot of vehicles.

It isnt as cut and dry as my car has x hp and can go y fast, so I dont need _ rated tires...

Originally Posted By: AVB
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=72

A W speed rated tire (168mph advertised) is only rated to 118mph at 35psi, vs 168mph at 42.5psi.

Yes, the tires are tested at a higher pressure than typically specified, on a SMOOTH steel roller at a room temp of 77F. Basically optimal conditions. Higher temperatures, lower pressure and rough roads (What isnt rougher than a roller?) all increase heat input to the tire.

No need to buy H higher speed rated tires unless the car will actually see high speed use often.

Your Versa will do just fine on S or T rated tires. As far as quality , it is more important to get the freshest tires available from a known brand.

Don't buy that [censored] from the salespeople at the tire store, the speed rating means NOTHING in the USA because no one can drive at those rates of speed anyhow.

Ask them to SHOW YOU IN THE WRITTEN TIRE WARRANTY WHERE IT SAYS WHAT THEY CLAIM.....I bet they can't. LOL

more important ratings for the US are the DOT traction ratings and TEMPERATURE ratings.

Last edited:
There are a lot of threads on this topic.

Basically, the arguments break down into:
-Shops do it because of liability
-Shops do it because they want to sell you more expensive tires

Does any of the paperwork/owner's manual say H-rated tires are required? My Sonata came with V-rated tires, but no where in the manual did it say V-rated replacement tires were required. I went with T-rated Hankook H727 tires and I haven't died yet.

Member CapriRacer (who works or has worked in the industry) argues that you should never buy a tire rated lower than H because from there on up they are better constructed. I specifically wanted the H727, and the concerns over speed rating didn't bother me. I've been very happy with their performance so far.

Doesn't matter how fast it can go realistically, if its governed for a certain speed, the tires will be earmarked accordingly. It happens. If they refuse the warranty on a slower rated tire I'd tell them to get bent but that's me.

I bring all my tires in loose so, the tire shop doesn't even know what I drive, lol.

I put a set of T rated Hankook H727's on my 1996 Honda Accord. Although they were OK and very good in the snow, the handling was sloppy. I replaced them with a set of V rated Bridgestone tires (Potenza RE960 AS) tires and they transformed the car. Handling and overall manners was MUCH improved...the car was a much better driver on the Bridgestones. Honda calls for V rated tires on the Accord (and has for years). I believe the suspension is tuned for a higher performance tire and a lower rated tire, while OK will adversely affect the way the car handles and drives.

Another disadvantage with tires that have a lower than H rating is the frequent omission of a radial cap ply (typically nylon which adds rigidity and provides additional heat resistance). There are exceptions though...like the above-mentioned Hankooks which use a cap ply although only T rated in most sizes. Michelin also claims that all of their tires have the cap ply regardless of speed rating.

I have T rated Michelin Defenders on the minivan and they work great on that vehicle (not a stellar handler to begin with). I doubt that putting higher-rated tires on it would have few advantages.

Allow me to reiterate what fdcg27 said:

While your driving may not include speeds higher than - oh, say, 75 mph, S and T rated tires can fail in spite of staying within the speed limitations.

But H rated tires have a cap ply - and for practical purposes, completely eliminates the risk.

You should be able to find an H rated tire that suits your needs. All of my cars have them.

Last edited:
The speed ratings of tires have more meaning than just the maximum safe speed. The rating not only relates to heat dissipation capabilities, but also traction. At "normal" speeds an H-rated tire is going to have better grip and handling characteristics that a T-rated tire. I, too, think you would be just fine in such a lightweight car using a T-rated tire, but I found that most tire places won't sell you a "downgrade" in speed rating. I tried to do that with my 89 Accord. T-rated tires did not exist in 1989 so I argued for that reason that I should be just fine. Ever since the Ford Explorer Firestone/Bridgestone debacle of a decade ago tire dealers have become just as fearful of lawsuits as doctors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back