New Valvoline Oil

My Napa got some new valvoline motor oil in stock today. Behold Valvoline Restore. Comes in 0-20, 5w20, 5w30. $7.99/qrt, or 35.99 5qt jug

1715003896113426496150143127166.jpg

17150039097079205557796143933966.jpg

Cool. Prices seem reasonable for Napa. FYI there are threads already out there about this oil. Looking forward to posts about its efficacy.

Looking forward to posts about its efficacy.
other than, “yeah I used it and my engine didn’t blow up” there’s not much objectively that can be quantified and assigned to a given oil. About the only thing (which is still subjective to a degree) would be under VC or oil pan pics, before & after.

TL;DR: if the oil is actually certified on what it claims, and it meets the engine’s needs, no oil is a magic bullet. Even the very best oils can only achieve a “no harm” policy in an engine as far as wear, but some can clean off accumulated sludge & varnish if they contain the correct amounts of alkylated napthalenes & esters.

“Restore” is a bit of a misnomer as all it could do is clean back to original condition (can’t reverse wear); the “Protect” should already be inherent in using an oil with the correct certifications regardless of manufacturer, grade, or product line. 🤷

For grins I just started running it in our bought new by us, super well maintained 255K mile 2010 Honda Element. Even after 255K miles there are no leaks and it "uses" only about 1/8 quart per 5K mile OCI, Castrol Edge 5W-30 or 0W-30 (Euro) its entire life.

I was going to try R&P for 10K miles, doing 3,333K OCI and filter changes. I'll do a C&P of the oil filter when the first OCI comes up.

Scott

Cool. Prices seem reasonable for Napa. FYI there are threads already out there about this oil. Looking forward to posts about its efficacy.
It's the same price at Napa when AZ first released it who was running an oil change special that included the oil filter. It's about time Walmart finally got theirs so we can get it for a decent price at least. The parts stores are all overpriced on oil, even when they include the filter you still paid too much.

There just isn't enough information to know one way or the other. The lead guy on this is Roger D. England. He worked at Cummins.

“It’s a complete game changer in how the industry is going to move forward,” England proclaims. “We (Valvoline) were the first motor oil. We were the first racing oil. We were the first high mileage oil, and now, we’re the first ones with an oil that actually removes deposits and restores the cleanliness of an engine. That’s huge. I think that shows that we’re constantly innovating. We come from this long line of firsts and we’re continuing that legacy.”

Valvoline's claims are bold though in that they specifically state other motor oils clean by capturing carbon and cleaning sludge but don't have the ability to clean harder carbon piston deposits. I would exclude HPL and Amsoil SS from this claim being they're not mainstream oils so it is likely Valvoline is talking about your off-shelf oils which likely do not have that ability.

Valvoline's claims are bold though in that they specifically state other motor oils clean by capturing carbon and cleaning sludge but don't have the ability to clean harder carbon piston deposits. I would exclude HPL and Amsoil SS from this claim being they're not mainstream oils so it is likely Valvoline is talking about your off-shelf oils which likely do not have that ability.
At the price it sells for - nothing ventured - it’s a normal Walmart price oil change …

Back