New to seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of using sea foam on the Rendezvous. Getting spark plugs, brake line flush and fuel filter changed at 100,000 miles.

I was thinking of doing all 3 seafoam treatments, engine, oil and fuel; as well.

My question is should I do the fuel treatment BEFORE or AFTER I get the fuel filter changed?

Thanks!

Pass on the seafoam.

use techron concentrate in the gas or redline (si-1?)

Its also worthless in the motor oil.

Do it before the fuel filter....it's said that after a seafoam run, it'll put some bad looking stuff into the filter
wink.gif

But then on the other hand, I say, what better to filter out the crud, than a BRAND NEW filter.....?
smile.gif
To each his own I guess....

I'd just do the new filter afterwords.

Just follow the directions, and don't be stupid with it.

1.5 oz. per quart of oil in the crankcase.

1 oz. per gallon of fuel into the gas tank...

Basically, buy 2 cans. One can goes in the tank (it's a 15-16 oz. can....most cars are 15-16 gallons, give or take), and then split the other can between the crankcase (oil), and the air intake....whether you use the brake booster hose, or the PCV, that's up to you.

Seafoam does wonders on the inside of the motor. I ran it a "little" over the recommended 500 miles. The motor was brand new looking on the inside after. Just don't go crazy with it.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i used sea foam last week on a 2009 dodge with the hemi and now i have a cel
it does work well in most cases

Have you cleared the code or found out what it is? It's either a spark plug(you'd really notice that I'd imagine) or an 02 sensor that got a whiff of expelling the chemical/carbon.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Pass on the seafoam.

I guess that's why it's been around so long and why so many have bought it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: Rand
Pass on the seafoam.

I guess that's why it's been around so long and why so many have bought it.

Your choice but if you can do some reading, you will see that there are better choices then Seafoam...

Don't seafoam the engine (internally/oil)..... at least do a lot of research and understand the risks.

Last edited:
I'm against putting serious cleaners in with engine oil as i think any kind of build up is better cleaned slowly over time. Seafoam's ratio doesn't seem all that aggressive to me.

I personally choose to stay away from the "all in one" cleaners and prefer dedicated chemicals to get the job done.

I actually just ordered two bottles of Auto-RX for my 98 Camry. The engine isn't sludged but does have some minor varnish that i want to experiment removing...

Originally Posted By: Artem
I'm against putting serious cleaners in with engine oil as i think any kind of build up is better cleaned slowly over time. Seafoam's ratio doesn't seem all that aggressive to me.

I personally choose to stay away from the "all in one" cleaners and prefer dedicated chemicals to get the job done.

I actually just ordered two bottles of Auto-RX for my 98 Camry. The engine isn't sludged but does have some minor varnish that i want to experiment removing...

"Aggressive" or not, it is still a solvent, and I can fully identify with the apprehension (and potential risk) associated with putting it in your engine oil.

^I'd use a foam top-end cleaner before Sea Foam, which won't get evenly distributed via the brake booster like as a fluid on some apps. I-4 probably, but not a V8 or a V6. It will stall/flood two cylinders before getting to the further away from the inlet of the brake-booster line = bad product application.

Get a foam cleaner that can spread over time and you can empty the entire contents of the can, non-stop and full-speed ingestion. No 'risk' of hydro-lock. (non 'sludged up' apps, only for carbon removal from the heads/combustion chamber).

Expel after 2-3 hour soak by driving and then change your oil = Win.

Why dump any solvent/cleaner in the engine oil? What can be a problem that will be fixed by this?

Idk, I know people either love it or hate it, but I fall somewhere in the middle.. I always have 4+ bottles each of the liquid regular Seafoam and the DeepCreep spray. I do not use it religiously, and I am aware it is not a perfect product, but I have had some great success with it and I take comfort in knowing it is a petroleum product rather than solvents and such.
I use it for cleaning throttle bodies, from the.butterfly valve to down the neck, and I have yet to find anything that works better (some work just as well, but are more expensive and/or harder to find).
It does work well in an engine with known carbon buildup, especially if the engine has the brake booster and PCV lines on opposite ends of the manifold. I let the engine suck it in both at the same time, let it soak, and I have seen a significant reduction in carbon buildup. I have used it on cars that I know had zero or minute amounts of Carbon and there is very little smoke, while heavily carboned cars have put out a steady smokescreen for 10min or more!
It does a great job as an all in one FI cleaner and fuel preservative, both in 2 and 4 cycle engines. I have even used it to clean the carb throat on my at the time 5yr old Honda mower and it put out a ridiculous amount of smoke (I added less than 1oz total). Now, the mower starts first pull.everytime instead of 5-6 tries, does not stall under heavy load, and it is a good 10% quieter; best of all, gas consumption went down, as instead of having 10-15% of a tank left when finished, I now have 25-30%, and there is never any black/sooty exhaust.

I know it works in engine oil as well, but it is more of a 3rd-4th line product. If a good syn oil (RL-RP-PU-PP) is used for a while first, then MMO or equivalent is used, then I would go to Seafoam. I do not have experience w Kreen etc so I cannot say, but I do believe it is better to use SF before resorting to any engine flush (last line).
The theory being that you slowly soften the sludge/varnish/carbon, then slowly use more aggressive products to eat away at it, circulating dissolved particulates into oil filter, and no chunks.

But, just as with any other additive, people have their own opinions. I like Seafoam, and I have been trying MMO recently so.we shall see how that goes. Mostly, though, money spent on additives is better spent on the best oil (skip additive = afford Redline oil, amazing cleaner itself) and top tier gasoline.

Of course, everyone needs RL SI-1 and ChevTec, that goes without saying.

Originally Posted By: nleksan

I use it for cleaning throttle bodies, from the.butterfly valve to down the neck, and I have yet to find anything that works better (some work just as well, but are more expensive and/or harder to find).

AC Delco combustion chamber cleaner works better. I did back-to-backs on a Ford IAC and the difference was night and day.

I use a spritz of it on a rag to clean TB's, the stuff is NUTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back