New STP XL extended life filters spotted @Autozone

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the 800 number, it is Fram filtration/(Champ). To my knowledge no one here authoritatively disputed that fact. Just the point that baseplate design did not appear to be one used on Champ US filters, which is accurate. Had the coo been noted some of the initial confusion/mystery might have eliminated.

Just thought the implied name drop relationship of another unrelated company unrelated filter manufacturer after FVP filter link and the Korean coo information posting was curious.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Here's my take on the photo showing the ADBV. The angle of the photo is making it look like it's off center, but what I think you're seeing is the shape of the ADBV design - it's not just flat, it has a contour to it and looks cupped shaped. What you think is it being off-center is just the contour ridge you see through the holes in the bottom left of the photo.

And BTW, even though it looks like the ADBV is not "covering" the holes, it's most likely sealing around the base plate out beyond the holes. The ADBV is cupped shaped and seals around it's outer circumference.

Update - Looks like car51 just cut one open, and you can see the ADBV is as I described above.
Car51 Cut & Post Thread

2zi1zj9.jpg

It's the angle, which is what I thought the first time I saw it. But then it looked like the angle wasn't so much to cause that. On the dissected filter the same effect is seen, but it is more obvious on the picture angle. These are a lot like a Denso. Nice to see a referenced efficiency rating. With the more correct > than, hahahaha. So you're right. I would definitely stay with the FRAM ULTRA over this one at the prices, especially FRAM ULTRA being made in USA. I also like a leaf type retainer better, as it centers better and is very strong laterally. I would like to see the stp put together on the baseplate as it would be in use, and see how much space is around the ADBV for flow. As some know I pictured a certain filter which had the ADBV pressed shut on the element, requiring the element to move up against the coil spring to work. I definitely don't want to ever get caught almost using a filter like that again. I must say FRAM ULTRA again, as maybe I missed it.

Sayjac,
This is what I can confirm. This product is not made by FRAM Filtration or Champion Labs. Yes, it does have our hotline number on it and we are getting that fixed with AZ asap. Other than that, we suspect it is a Purolator sourced product and that is all we know right now.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I suppose a good way to deflect questions about Purolator tears would be to put Fram's hotline number on Purolator filters..
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
01.gif

Having looked at several filters online last night, vi see a resemblance to Purolator p1 except for this one has a spring in it. Is this filter made by Purolator in Korea?

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Sayjac,
This is what I can confirm. This product is not made by FRAM Filtration or Champion Labs. Yes, it does have our hotline number on it and we are getting that fixed with AZ asap. Other than that, we suspect it is a Purolator sourced product and that is all we know right now.

With all the ownership changing hands constantly it seems, employees of any given oil filter factory must come to work every day and have to check who they are working for. (Maybe check again at lunch break too.)
Now it looks like the confusion even spreads to AutoZone packaging people.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Garak
I suppose a good way to deflect questions about Purolator tears would be to put Fram's hotline number on Purolator filters..
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
01.gif

I'm sure that phone is busy enough without any new traffic.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Wix should do the same thing so callers get a better number when they ask about the synthetic filter. Jay had also better be careful about someone at Purolator forwarding their customer service emails to his work email.
wink.gif

This product is not made by FRAM Filtration or Champion Labs. Other than that, we suspect it is a Purolator sourced product and that is all we know right now.

I can see it now....
A few Fram-sponsored posters on this group are now leaning over the porcelain throne and are hurling their cookies because they have been praising a Purolator-built filter and have realized that they've been eating crow!

Originally Posted By: Kruse
This product is not made by FRAM Filtration or Champion Labs. Other than that, we suspect it is a Purolator sourced product and that is all we know right now.

I can see it now....
A few Fram-sponsored posters on this group are now leaning over the porcelain throne and are hurling their cookies because they have been praising a Purolator-built filter and have realized that they've been eating crow!

Maybe it takes Purolator moving manufacturing to Korea to get some decent quality. Ouch ...
eek.gif

Sayjac,

A thorough reading of this thread, especially but not limited to the OP's thread starter shows the first reference to Fram filtration came from the consistent lead Fram devotee and promotion source on this board. Even suggesting that the use of the > for efficiency as additional evidence.

It is also a fact that the number listed is the ChampLabs customer service line. That was also posted and confirmed. None these 'facts' as posted were/are in dispute.

So if there is any confusion regarding Fram Filtration being the manufacturing source of the XL, it is AutoZone and the OP of this thread with whom you should take it up, not anyone else including me. Reading is fundamental.

As for your admitted 'speculation' that it is a Purolator sourced product, beyond a baseplate similarity, what is the sourcing and proof beyond speculation? Please provide facts to this board to confirm it, otherwise shall remain speculation. And noted in this thread and recent dissection thread, the XL uses a coil retainer spring, which no Purolator US product uses. Also provided in this thread is a link the FVP Reliagard with the same baseplate, coo and no known relationship to Purolator US. More evidence versus speculation.

It is also accurate though, that the XL filter being new, would be yet another example of metal endcaps not going away in filter industry as was stated as fact some time ago. So one can only conclude that was nothing more than speculation too.

Maybe it takes Purolator moving manufacturing to Korea to get some decent quality. Ouch ...
eek.gif

Maybe you ought to change your forum name to Fram0Six.
Maybe someday you can create a post without an emoticon. Ouch yourself.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Quote:
So Champ/fram filtration/Rank is now subbing production out to an off shore manufacturer? Hmmmmm

With Rank Group Limited just moved fuel pump production jobs out of the country...

Do not be surprised.

So Airtex and their relabels are now made in China as well? I know Airtex did absorb ASC who was well-known for Chinese water pumps.

And Fram's been sourcing Korean filters for a while, mostly for motorcycles.

eek.gif

HAHAHA

Funny stuff right here.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Just noticed your post about Motorcraft gold coolant... Man that's expensive $29 a gallon! I would be using that if it was reasonable
Check out some of your local Ford dealers, I've bought it for my trucks at Airport Ford & others in Cincinnati, they even have the 50/50 premix PG.

eek.gif

How is saying Purolator should increase their quality related to Fram filters? Wow ... trolling much? LoL

And BTW, I challenge you (or anyone else for that matter) to go find all the posts where I shill up Frams. Good luck with that, because you will fail. And saying why certain filters are not very good isn't shilling another brand if a brand is never mentioned. You and SilverC6 must have gotten the same sand contamination.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back