New STP XL extended life filters spotted @Autozone

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm in the areas where the Autozone is this afternoon; I'll buy one and cut it.
34.gif

Added a comment/edit at end of my last post but timed out before completion of the thought.

Looking closer at baseplate design, I don't remember Champ using that type design. It's not found on the M1EP, the CQ in the yt or other STP. And not used by Fram either.

Now wondering what the coo of the XL is?

All that said, see where dishdude posted 800 number takes one to Champ. So must be a Champ product.

I picked up one of these filters 20 minutes ago. I'll cut and post it soon. Very similar to a driveworks as bypass spring is same and says "leak tested" on some end and no date of manufacture

Did see this also

muwz92.jpg

I saw them changing the planogram last time I was in the store. I guess this is the change they are making

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Was in Autozone and spotted these. I am going to ask Jay to give me some information but I am assuming they are a spin off of the new CARQUEST blue filters which are very nice.

The box states 99% efficient at >20 microns iso 4548-12.

They appear to have silicon anti drain back valves and also the can was very sturdy, I was not able to squeeze it like other filters.

Here is the link to the CARQUEST Red and Blue filters thread with video.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3563707/CARQUEST_Red_and_Blue_filters_

With these specs they are comparable to Mobil 1 and Fram Tough Guards as well as CARQUEST Blue I mentioned.

2zf2yqo.jpg

2zi1zj9.jpg

25z1lcn.jpg

3502xcz.jpg

2rhs2o0.jpg

What's the price?
Covered en with plastic like the Koreans. I wonder if its about like a tg inside

Originally Posted By: car51
Very similar to a driveworks as bypass spring is same and says "leak tested" on some end and no date of manufacture....

Based on previous pic postings, 'Leak tested' designation combined with cello seal and if the retainer sring is a coil spring, these are all signs of a coo of either China or Korea.

Thought the baseplate configuration didn't look to be a Champ US design. So Champ/fram filtration/Rank is now subbing production out to an off shore manufacturer? Hmmmmm

Didn't speculate in my previous post but the baseplate looked/looks similar to the Pentius, Pronto and FVP ReliaGuard that have been posted here in the past. Below is pic of leak tested FVP from this thread. Even more so now for the XL, meh.

2pskkmp.jpg

Quote:
So Champ/fram filtration/Rank is now subbing production out to an off shore manufacturer? Hmmmmm

With Rank Group Limited just moved fuel pump production jobs out of the country...

Do not be surprised.

Last edited:
Sayjac: looks similar to that yes and says on side of can "made in Korea"

Thanks for that information. Unless I missed it somewhere, I didn't see that important piece of info posted in the original post. Thus all questions I had regarding the baseplate design difference. And I wasn't far off wondering if these were even a Champ/fram/Rank 'made' product.

Knowing all that I wouldn't consider them in the class of the compared CQ Blue, not to mention the FU. And for $9, pass.

Gradually getting to the rest of the story here.

I picked up one of these filters 20 minutes ago. I'll cut and post it soon. Very similar to a driveworks as bypass spring is same and says "leak tested" on some end and no date of manufacture

Did see this also

muwz92.jpg

More ridiculous AZ pricing, I can still get MC PG concentrate at a Ford dealer for around $17/gallon. Even with a discount, they're still way too high.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Odd 'looking' adbv. From exterior view, doesn't look to be sealing the inlet holes completely. Dissection might give a better indication of what the deal is.

Be curious to see if it's metal endcap construction same as the CQ. 'If' so, would be another example of metal endcaps NOT going away in the filter industry as was asserted HERE.

Price point similar to/same as regular price of easily found WM FU. Meh.

Edit. On closer inspection of baseplate design and configuration, I'm not certain this STP is a Fram filtration/Rank product?

Zoomed in, the ADBV flap is there behind the holes alright. But the center thick portion is way to the left, almost half way over the inlet holes on the left side. Right from a random never opened box, never saw such a defect.

The plastic wrap around the gasket end indicates a cheap poor quality filter. Most of the cheap Asian filters have that, like Prime Choice, Prime Guard, etc.

The red gasket is nice, though.

I thought it was a P1 at first glance, but the inlet holes weren't oblong. A Korean clone maybe?

I'm chuckling here. The XL has quickly gone from a filter proclaimed to be a spin off of the CARQUEST line, proudly made by Champ/fram filtration to a filter with a baseplate that 'looks like' Puro now.

As the link previously posted shows the copy used on the FVP Reliaguard while similar to the Puro design is made in Korea and no company relationship to Purolator US.

And dishdude is correct, the 800 number listed on the XP box is for Champ Labs technical support, as linked below. So it would appear the with the off shored Korea made XL, ChampLabs/Fram filtration has ownership of the XP line.

http://www.champlabs.com/content/technical-support

So this board is ahead of the curve and the spin. IMO, some attempt at backstroking now going on.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The plastic wrap around the gasket end indicates a cheap poor quality filter. Most of the cheap Asian filters have that, like Prime Choice, Prime Guard, etc.

The red gasket is nice, though.

How about Toyota, Honda, Denso, and Union Sangyo, all cheap and poor quality because they take the extra effort in cleanliness of the inside?

Here's my take on the photo showing the ADBV. The angle of the photo is making it look like it's off center, but what I think you're seeing is the shape of the ADBV design - it's not just flat, it has a contour to it and looks cupped shaped. What you think is it being off-center is just the contour ridge you see through the holes in the bottom left of the photo.

And BTW, even though it looks like the ADBV is not "covering" the holes, it's most likely sealing around the base plate out beyond the holes. The ADBV is cupped shaped and seals around it's outer circumference.

Update - Looks like car51 just cut one open, and you can see the ADBV is as I described above.
Car51 Cut & Post Thread

2zi1zj9.jpg

Zee0Six: filter cut and posted here ;-)

Yep, I just saw it ... thanks!

Sayjac I'm just posting what I see/think I don't know anything for sure. The thing that lead me to believe it was Fram was the way they quoted the efficiency ratings on the box similar to Fram.

I still think it's a decent Asian filter but over priced. It had a quality feel to it when I held it in my hand although the box felt cheap if that means anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back