New Snow Blower for XMAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure it depends but on this Stiga/Bolens it was no problem accessing the blades from above. I'd say that it's impossible to match the pump efficiency of this "poor man's fix" any other way. There's basically zero clearance even though the axle is not perfectly centered. And the blade surface is flat and smooth plus the rubber won't stick to snow.

And, I actually think this fix is a good idea on new blowers as well, most new machines also have a substantial gap around the blades and that's what will kill distance and slush capability. And after a few hours, the paint will be lost on blades too.

Last edited:
I'll update my own 5 year old thread.

The snowblower works great. No problems. Just replaced the skids. Seems to have plenty of power and starts and runs like a top. It was a good purchase.

Just used it this evening, as a matter of fact.

Originally Posted By: cronk
The OP says this was a Craftsman snowblower....thus the sears reference.

Thanks. I should have tripped over that in the original post!

Loosing it I tells ya..
33.gif

32.gif
Made myself a Cclarence kit from an old motorcycle tire. A sawzall cut it with ease, but the rubber dust stinks.

It's tedious doing the operation through the chute, but can be done. Appropriate blocks of wood etc are needed to jam things in place.

Performance is slightly better. Hard to compare apples to oranges. One must let their blower blow itself out always, but with clarence the rubber paddle sticks fiercely if meltings are left to refreeze.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
One must let their blower blow itself out always, but with clarence the rubber paddle sticks fiercely if meltings are left to refreeze.

What the heck does this mean? I'm pretty good with the English language but I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

I'm a Florida boy and recently bought a property in Vermont so I am trying to learn about these snow removal machines but y'all just keep talking jibberish.
mad.gif
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: bigdreama
One must let their blower blow itself out always, but with clarence the rubber paddle sticks fiercely if meltings are left to refreeze.

What the heck does this mean? I'm pretty good with the English language but I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

I'm a Florida boy and recently bought a property in Vermont so I am trying to learn about these snow removal machines but y'all just keep talking jibberish.
mad.gif
wink.gif

That is a easy one for a northern boy to understand many people have the problem without the kit.

32.gif
Made myself a Cclarence kit from an old motorcycle tire. A sawzall cut it with ease, but the rubber dust stinks.

It's tedious doing the operation through the chute, but can be done. Appropriate blocks of wood etc are needed to jam things in place.

Performance is slightly better. Hard to compare apples to oranges. One must let their blower blow itself out always, but with clarence the rubber paddle sticks fiercely if meltings are left to refreeze.
Looks like LJ is not too thrilled with this modification. I believe he is saying that the leftover snow afterwards will freeze the rubber paddle to the housing. Frankly, I had not heard this particular issue. I am seriously considering buying the Clarence kit but when LJ is only lukewarm on it, I may have to reconsider.

When you snowblow there is inevitably a little snow left inside the machine. One can minimize it by doing a "wheelie" with the auger turning and not ingesting new snow but never completely eliminate it.

In a normal world/ winter it melts and leaves the machine dry.

In a nasty one, the garage floor soaks up the cold and the machine never cleans itself out before the next storm.

I go in, with it off, obviously, and ram a pipe or jack handle down the chute to bang the high-speed auger and free it up. With a little clearance, it loosens the ice and you can grab it, shake it out, etc.

With the rubber paddle kit, I'm concerned I'm going to rip my rubber paddle. If you've ever lifted a wiper blade arm in an ice storm and had the windshield wiper rubber stay stuck to the glass, it's this situation I fear.

When you snowblow there is inevitably a little snow left inside the machine. One can minimize it by doing a "wheelie" with the auger turning and not ingesting new snow but never completely eliminate it.

In a normal world/ winter it melts and leaves the machine dry.

In a nasty one, the garage floor soaks up the cold and the machine never cleans itself out before the next storm.

I go in, with it off, obviously, and ram a pipe or jack handle down the chute to bang the high-speed auger and free it up. With a little clearance, it loosens the ice and you can grab it, shake it out, etc.

With the rubber paddle kit, I'm concerned I'm going to rip my rubber paddle. If you've ever lifted a wiper blade arm in an ice storm and had the windshield wiper rubber stay stuck to the glass, it's this situation I fear.
This is a legitimate issue but how come nobody else has brought it up? Is it possible that the grabbing of the rubber paddle to the chute is not enough to rip out the hefty rubber? I understand the wiper analogy and it makes perfect sense. The clarence kit has been on the market now for over couple of decades and other people would have mentioned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back