I'm done with anything made by Craftsman if it has a gas engine

What issues are you having with Briggs and Stratton?
I personally haven't had a problem with Briggs, I know they filed bankruptcy a while back and as the owner of the Snapper and Simplicity brands they discontinued them. I am hearing of parts unavailability on Simplicity from a friend at another shop.

If you can find an older Toro Super Recycler it will basically last forever. I scavenged one from the landfill about 4-5 years ago and decided to fix it up with a new Briggs motor, drive wheels and a few other cables and parts that were getting worn out. I put a total of $360 into it but it gave me something to do over the winter last year. I expect it to last another 20+ years.

I have a Craftsman lawn mower and a Craftsman snow blower. I purchased the lawn mower new about 3 or 4 years ago. The engine is a 163CC B&S which is fine, but the rest of the mower is a total POS. The exit chute on the housing was designed out of cheap plastic, and it falls off even if I bump something lightly with it. It's also held in place by a rod passing through two eyelets, with nothing on the ends of the rod to hold it in place. Engine vibration causes the rod to come out on a regular basis. I have since modified both so they at least stay on now. The gas cap will also loosen from engine vibration and come off while mowing. I haven't figured out a mod to correct this issue yet.

The snow blower was purchased from the original owner who purchased it new in 2018. He never used it, so it was still basically brand new when I bought it. I have literally used it 4 times, and it's now leaking oil. I remember when Craftsman made quality products. I guess their quality control has gone to **** since they started having all of their stuff outsourced, or bean counters within the company are dictating the corner cutting. Either way, I'm done buying anything with the Craftsman name on it if it has a gas engine on it...
The engine vibration could be from a slightly off balance blade or the piece the blade attaches to.

With the "up to 6"" of snow expected, I got the Craftsman out. I didn't even start it last year. I decided I'm not fooling with Sta Bil, as the gas can already had it (gas must be maybe 6+ years old) and I filled it.

Primed it 6X, would not start. I have to use the recoil as the starter has been broken for most of its life.

Primed another 6X, and it started. I did not maintain this unit so it is what it is. It no longer needs to be choked to run, and it sounds like a Harley. It will clear the snow today when needed (9 HP [was it really but that's what it says] and 29" 2-stage). At the time, it was the cheapest I could find, again I think $649 or $699 in 2004 (again I think).

I promise the 2021 Honda mower I plan on maintaining well, oil, air, plug, etc. But it does make me wonder do small machines care. The Craftsman 6.5 HP mower from 2002 started first try all the way through 2022. Never changed the plug, and oil maybe 3X. Its deck is what corroded and broke, but that's a lot of use for something that was just over $200.

With the "up to 6"" of snow expected, I got the Craftsman out. I didn't even start it last year. I decided I'm not fooling with Sta Bil, as the gas can already had it (gas must be maybe 6+ years old) and I filled it.
I wouldn't put 6 year old gas in my car, never mind a small engine, even if it was purchased from somewhere claiming it was E0.

My Bodged together 24" Ariens Sno Thro is a collection of roadside finds, Tractor from one, bucket from another and powered by a 212cc Predator. Best wheels. Original pieces, parts pushing 50yrs old. I keep shear pins,belts, drive disc, and a bottle of MTL. I start it it during cold weather, just to see it start. It hasn't blown snow in 2 yrs, It is fit enough to scare snow away. I have a few improvements to make on the chute, But not until I get the mowers going. :cool:

Back