New Snow Blower for XMAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Christmas gift from my wife today: A new 24" snow blower, 2-stage, 179 cc engine.

MTD apparently is the manufacturer from what I gather from the manual. The engine is neither a Briggs or a Tecumseh, but a "Craftsman". I've heard MTD has been getting their engines from China so I assume this is one of them.

Has anyone had experience with these? Any pointers? Please don't tell me to take it back. It's a gift.

Don't worry about what others say. I've heard that name thrown around for years.

Usually its the Honda snow blower snobs (like other boards.. Some here too with their "better" oils) that like to show how "special" they are.

Bottom line is if it runs and works for you (which it will) then I'd say all is good.

Change the oil after 5 hours with any 5w-30 syn (if the manual states it, My Briggs does) and I'd go another 10 hours, change it once more then end of the season.

My last snow blower was a MTD which lasted 6 years for me (sold it to the neighbor) and is still running great. 5hp 24 inch model.

My newer one (about 3 years old) is a 8hp 28" built by MTD and works just as well as the Honda and other makes down the street.

The only difference is the amount of $$ we spent.

I've had snow blowers for decades and other than belts and skids, never replaced other parts.

Take care and Merry Christmas!

Bill

Please let us know your thoughts on the engine after you have had some time to use it. I have not found any good detailed reviews on this engine. I believe it is branded "Powermore" on MTD brand machines.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Don't worry about what others say. I've heard that name thrown around for years.

Usually its the Honda snow blower snobs (like other boards.. Some here too with their "better" oils) that like to show how "special" they are.

I couldn't agree more. You'll like that engine. MTD switched to a Chinese 'copy' of a Honda GX series engine (of which there are millions in use now) since Tecumseh 'got out' of the small engine business. IMO, it could only be better than flat head Tecumseh engine for snowblower use. I'd take it over a Tecumseh or Briggs flat-head any day.

Joel

Last edited:
Both Briggs and Honda are going after "MTD/Powermower" for intellectual property violations. Tec is also as the price of these cloned engines cost them their company.

I do not think they should be allowed to import engines like this. They have labor costs 1/2 of the US and take somebodies design as well.

FYI...The 8 hp L-head ironlined Tec was an engine that could offer 20-30 yrs of service as my Ariens demonstrated.

my .02

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the engine works out. The few things I've heard have been mostly bad. But, I think those things are sometimes exaggerated. May turn out to be a good one.

I'll use a good 5W-30 synthetic at the first oil change.

By the way Duaneb9729: I got my wife a vacuum cleaner for Christmas:)

Originally Posted By: Pete591
..I do not think they should be allowed to import engines like this. They have labor costs 1/2 of the US and take somebodies design as well.

Well... I agree to a point, but that's another topic all together. It goes waaaaay beyond OPE engines alone, plus MTD has the choice of where to source their engines from.

Joel

Originally Posted By: oil_spaz
Great Christmas gift from my wife today: A new 24" snow blower, 2-stage, 179 cc engine.

MTD apparently is the manufacturer from what I gather from the manual. The engine is neither a Briggs or a Tecumseh, but a "Craftsman". I've heard MTD has been getting their engines from China so I assume this is one of them.

Has anyone had experience with these? Any pointers? Please don't tell me to take it back. It's a gift.

Update on my Chinese snow blower engine: No mushroom cloud yet. Four decent snows since Christmas and about five hours of running. Just gave it it's first oil change. Oil had some very small shiny flecks in it when I held it up in the sunlight. Just the normal engine break in stuff. Runs smooth, starts easy and is plenty powerful. Life is good.

Granted it's not a long testing period but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Originally Posted By: oil_spaz

I bought one of these snow-blowers directly from MTD and the engine is a clone from China. Someone told me its a Briggs but it is a cheap version, really the machine was under $500 delivered, what can you expect for that kind of money, right?

I lived 100 yards from the road and it cleared off 6 inches of snow in about two hours and only used 1/2 gal of gas. Its a little under powered but still is an awesome machine compared to shoveling your A** off. BTW: I put at least twenty hours on this machine in the first two seasons (Made in 2006) and it still runs like new.

The engine starts easy, never had any mechanical problems if you don't bog it down and bend a rod. It even clears the mess left behind from a plow, just inch it along and it does an awesome job. Tire chains is a worthwhile investment.

Its an old thread but good info because I am doing the tune up thing to mine in case we get dumped on over the next few weeks.

They are honda clones made in China. Ours runs great, it needs another carb rebuild because the gaskets and seals are falling apart (carb leaks gas like a seive when using primer). But I didn't even pull it out of the shed till yesterday, since march. Filled it up with gas, cranked it for 30 seconds using electric start, started with a puff of black smoke, and ran perfectly for 45 mins. Then started right up, this morning and ran beautifully. The engines themselves are mechanically sound, but the carburetors need rebuilt every few years. (208cc Chongqing built "Craftsman" motor on a 26" blower from 2008)

Whoa! This is an old thread for sure. Why the Sears references? I realize Sears sells re-badged MTD snowblowers and machines based off old Murray designs, but I don't see where the OP (back from 2008) mentioned sears.

Anyhow.. Yep, a good machine for ~$500. They don't throw as well as a Honda, Toro or Ariens, but at 30-50% of the price, they're not bad.

If it's like my ~1999 model year 24" Yardman/MTD w/ 7hp OHV Tecumseh, the weakest link is the wimpy 3-bladed impeller. It just cannot throw all the auger feeds it. The'ol Tecumseh OHV is one of the best engines I've ever owned. Still starts on the first pull cold/hot (never use the e-start), is smooth and SUPER good on fuel. 15yrs old and I've never had the bowel off the carb, this engine has been so reliable. I run it out of gas with a heavy dose of Sta-Bil and 2-cycle oil in the last bit of fuel at the end of every season.

Last edited:
I bought a CubCadet (MTD) snow thrower a few years back. It has a MTD POWERMORE engine manufactured to their specs in China. So far no problems. Did my 5 hour OCI (Mobil 1 OW-30) and its going strong. Time will tell how it will hold up but I plan on taking care of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Whoa! This is an old thread for sure. Why the Sears references? I realize Sears sells re-badged MTD snowblowers and machines based off old Murray designs, but I don't see where the OP (back from 2008) mentioned sears.

Anyhow.. Yep, a good machine for ~$500. They don't throw as well as a Honda, Toro or Ariens, but at 30-50% of the price, they're not bad.

If it's like my ~1999 model year 24" Yardman/MTD w/ 7hp OHV Tecumseh, the weakest link is the wimpy 3-bladed impeller. It just cannot throw all the auger feeds it. The'ol Tecumseh OHV is one of the best engines I've ever owned. Still starts on the first pull cold/hot (never use the e-start), is smooth and SUPER good on fuel. 15yrs old and I've never had the bowel off the carb, this engine has been so reliable. I run it out of gas with a heavy dose of Sta-Bil and 2-cycle oil in the last bit of fuel at the end of every season.

Look up "impeller kit" on youtube. Install one on your snowblower and that $25 kit will turn your snowblower into a new machine. I've done the kit on about 15 snowblowers so far for customers. It has nothing to do with the 3 blade impeller. It has to do with the clearance between the impeller blades and the metal around it. Over the years the clearance becomes larger and it decreases the efficiency of the snowblower. I get my kits off eBay.

Thanks Jeepman, I'll check it out. I have read many threads over the years about the "Clarence Kit" (or whatever it's called).

Yeah, there is a lot of clearance between impeller/housing on my MTD. The reason I haven't gone this route is, I fear breaking the next weakest link after tightening up this clearance on a ~15yr/old MTD.

I just cut out rubber that matched the blades plus the gap to the blower housing and screwed them in place using self drilling self tapping screws. Finalised with a layer of teflon paint inside the housing and chute.
Now it throws anything twice the distance, even throws slush like a fire sqaud!
No need to buy anything if you have some mud flaps lying around.
2013-02-02%2016.01.54.jpg

Last edited:
Hate to go OT with the thread, but NICE!

Just looked at some youtube threads. I didn't realize you can drill the impeller blades for the rubber fitment w/out removing the impeller from the unit..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back